Columbine survivor supports arming teachers

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Columbine survivor supports arming teachers

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC_1cgBo0wY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kasey Hansen, a special education teacher from Utah, and Columbine survivor Patrick Neville believe teachers should be armed in classrooms.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Columbine survivor supports arming teachers

Post by WhyNot »

perhaps a candidate to speak at the April 21st Rally :idea:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Re: Columbine survivor supports arming teachers

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:perhaps a candidate to speak at the April 21st Rally :idea:
He probably is a good candidate, but he's in Colorado. Who is going to pay to get him there and back?

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/why-a-co ... in-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is serious movement at some state Capitols on gun legislation right now, after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida two weeks ago. The debate goes beyond limiting access to firearms; some state lawmakers want expanded gun access and training for teachers and staff in schools. In Colorado, state Rep. Patrick Neville of Jefferson County is one of them.

In Neville’s case, he’s drawn national attention because he’s also a survivor of the mass shooting at Columbine High School in 1999. Two of the victims were Neville’s friends. One of them, Danny Mauser, was his lab partner, and Mauser’s dad Tom is now a leading gun control advocate.
Disputing the idea that more guns leads to more violence:

"Utah's had this for over 10 years, and we haven't seen many issues. There was one small incident with negligent discharge in a bathroom where no one was hurt, thank goodness, but that's been the only issue. Meanwhile it sent a strong deterrent. I don't think we've seen any mass shootings in our schools in Utah, because the criminals know that they're not going to go in there unopposed, and that's the biggest thing I think this bill is going to accomplish. It'll be a deterrent more than anything that folks are going to stop targeting our young kids in schools.

... I know in my school, at Columbine, they waited until the uniformed officer was away at lunch, but they knew who that person was and kind of took precautions to avoid him. Where if you have a group of teachers, and you have no clue who's even one of those who are willing and able to concealed carry, it gives them a real advantage during such an attack."
What he is saying is not just theory, it actually happened in Israel.