NFA change of address (intrastate) question

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ArmedAviator

NFA change of address (intrastate) question

Post by ArmedAviator »

I've looked on the ATF website and couldn't find anything. What do I have to do to change my address?
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
djthomas

Re: NFA change of address (intrastate) question

Post by djthomas »

Used to be you could send them a letter. And in about a year you'd get a reply thanking you for doing your part to keep the registry up to date. Supposedly though they're now telling folks that there is no requirement to notify of intrastate changes but if you feel compelled you can submit a 5320.20.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

ATF says you must file a 5320.20 if any of the items are firearms and you are moving across state lines. see nothing for in state, although field 2 on the form asks whether the items will return to the original address.. so if you are moving the answer would be no..
and field 5 ...
Reason for Transportation of Firearms (example: Permanent change of Address)
found this on an attorney site
I Am Moving In-State

The good news is that if you are moving in-state then there is no legal requirement that you notify the ATF of your new address. However, up until June of 2013, it was requested that NFA owners send a letter to the ATF when moving in-state so that the NFRTR (registry) could be kept up to date.

Since June of 2013, the ATF has returned such letters with a note that they are no longer accepting address changes in the form of letters and requesting that those wishing to report a new in-state address submit a Form 5320.20.

In summary … you have no legal duty to notify the ATF of an in-state change of address. If you wish to do so, you should use a Form 5320.20.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Wonderful news! Guess I'll cross this off my to-do list (that seems to keep growing daily).
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin