Stiff, but flexible metal tubing

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Stiff, but flexible metal tubing

Post by schmieg »

Since people have asked about everything in here from computer repair to camera gear to relationship counseling, I thought I might join the movement.

I want to make a mount for my cell phone holder in my Jeep without drilling into dash or using a vent. My idea is to do something like a professional installer did for my old Explorer (unfortunately, he's no longer around, for that matter, neither is the Explorer). He used a stiff gooseneck tube, mounted to the floor next to the console, which held the phone mount near the gear shift while not blocking any vehicle controls. The Jeep is a bit more complex since the battery is mounted under the passenger seat and the tubing would have to be mounted far enough forward to allow full motion of the electric seat to access the battery. I have the tubing in 13 and 19 inch lengths from prior installations, but I estimate I would need close to 30 inches for what I'm thinking of. The tubing has to be flexible enough to shape along the side of the console and then upward above the console so the seat movement would clear it and not rip the leather up when it's moved. It would also have to be stiff enough to hold the phone when the vehicle is being driven, both on and off road.

Does anyone have any ideas where to find such a beastie?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Stiff, but flexible metal tubing

Post by Tourist »

Look at the "DX Engineering" website. They have a mount like you describe usually used for Ham Radio remote heads. They mount using the front bolt of the seat track, are "bendable" and provide for mounting at the top. They generally come in two lengths.

Let me know if this solves your issue.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mike:

Gotta second DX Engineering. If it's likely to be useful in Ham Radio, and more or less whacky, they've got it.... (I wanted to put in an application, but it's a LONG ride in bad weather. Not to mention being nearly as addictive as working in a gun store :D.)

They have a corner in the Summit Racing store on the way (on I-80) to Akron. I'm not a gearhead, but I'm sure they'd get $50 from me if I just stopped in to beg the restroom :mrgreen: .

Or, a plumbing supply place - some quarter-inch-ish tubing for running between the wall and a toilet tank, or some larger stuff used for getting a line from a water outlet on the wall to faucets. No idea how you'd fasten those to anything.

You could also consider fastening to something under the dash rather than the seat track. Some cars have a lot of extra holes down there. I've been hanging stuff off dashboards for something over 50 years.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

For flexible metal tubing you might look at the gas line tubing used for appliance installation. Flexible, stiff and will not kink. I believe that it comes only in yellow but a little spray paint will change that.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

I found this on google, but not DX Engineering, they have a different model.

http://www.arkon.com/product/GN092-L28- ... mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope it helps.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I would look at some automotive brake line/fuel line.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Seat rail mounts won't work without being re-engineered a bit. With help from a local custom shop, we found a place that has four goosenecks that are exactly the right length and with the correct mounts on each end and he ordered one for me this afternoon. The four have been sitting around the warehouse for years as apparently these were big about 10 years ago and now no one wants them. Guess I was lucky.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Here in dayton, they guarantee they can get or have any metal you need.

Edit: they do handle small quantity orders as well.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/dayton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

TJW815 wrote:Here in dayton, they guarantee they can get or have any metal you need.

Edit: they do handle small quantity orders as well.

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/dayton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've bookmarked that one. I don't often have a need, but this is an item that used to be commonly available and, apparently, it has fallen out of favor.
-- Mike