Poster carriers say aggessive turkeys stopping mail service

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Poster carriers say aggessive turkeys stopping mail service

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.whio.com/news/postal-carrier ... lwtTlk13N/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm surprised they haven't tried pepper spray. :roll:
ROCKY RIVER, Ohio — Postal carriers say a rafter of aggressive wild turkeys have prevented them from delivering mail to more than two dozen homes in a Cleveland suburb.

Cleveland.com reports residents on a number of streets in Rocky River have had to pick up their mail at the post office because the turkeys have created unsafe conditions for carriers to deliver to their homes.

Rocky River Mayor Pam Bobst said the problem has persisted for the last three weeks. City ordinances don’t allow for the turkeys to be eradicated, she said.
A U.S. Postal Service spokesman says some carriers have been pecked but none have been injured.
djthomas

Re: Poster carriers say aggessive turkeys stopping mail serv

Post by djthomas »

M-Quigley wrote:I'm surprised they haven't tried pepper spray. :roll:
Pepper spray is not effective against birds. The primary ingredient is capsaicin, and birds do not have the necessary nerve receptors to be affected by it. That privilege seems to be confined mostly to mammals.

As an aside we get new cans of pepper spray every 4-5 years when they expire. I've found the old ones to be real handy on the bird feeder. Fill it up with seed as usual and then douse the post, sitting rail and spill tray in pepper spray. Repeat every 2-3 months as needed. Birds will sit there and eat away all fat dumb and happy, but mammals such as squirrels and raccoons often don't even make it halfway up the pole before they hop off with a case of tender toes. Those that do make it up get one good lick of the rail and they're done too.