Snow/ice driving practice

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Re: Snow/ice driving practice

Post by M-Quigley »

I got a new to me pickup truck this summer for use as an occasional vehicle, and recently got the chance to try it out on the ice and snow covered county roads. Out here unless it's a state highway, they just plow off the high drifts. Although it has 4WD and auto 4WD capability, I did okay in RWD mode despite on weight in the bed. I kept my speed on the ice/snow covered roads lower than normal, like 35 mph or less instead of 50-60. Even in auto 4WD mode I kept the speed down. In a snow covered empty parking lot, I did sharp turns and normal use of the gas pedal, and there was no sliding even in 2WD. The only way I could've slide was maybe to intentionally do it.
Even though I didn't need the 4WD capability and the high ground clearance I'm glad I have it, because out here if the winds blow the snow off of the fields, you can end up driving down the road and encountering sections with high drifts. Last winter was the only time in years that I can recall this area didn't have a level 3 snow warning from the Sheriff (not that I've ever heard of it being enforced anyway :roll: )
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Snow/ice driving practice

Post by pk47 »

TSiWRX wrote:There's quite a clear demarcation between the communities in terms of just how well the snow gets cleared. It's almost comical.
Ditto for crossing from Parma into Seven Hills :evil: