Snow/ice driving practice

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: Snow/ice driving practice

Postby bignflnut » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Out on a limb: if you had a male that cared about you and there was sufficient conditions, you ran this experiment/drill in a safe area.

Funny that the cop admitted to doing it, self-righteous jerk.
“A free people claim their rights, as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.”
-Thomas Jefferson, 1774

Tweed Ring: "...we should have all done more to elected Republicans..." Agreed
bignflnut

Postby schmieg » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:08 pm

bignflnut wrote:Out on a limb: if you had a male that cared about you and there was sufficient conditions, you ran this experiment/drill in a safe area.

Funny that the cop admitted to doing it, self-righteous jerk.

There is a difference in doing it for training and doing it for thrills. The question is whether you are endangering yourself or others in the process. If so, both are prohibited.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby steves 50de » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:20 pm

carmen fovozzo wrote:
steves 50de wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:I do a test every year when we get the first sign of crappy weather...on private property..

I think some people are to old to drive. :twisted: just sayin. :wink: :lol:

Or short.. :)

Hey wait a minute, i can see over the steering wheel. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby TSiWRX » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:02 pm

Just a few more years, and Anna and I will be heading to:

https://teamoneil.com/

:D
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby M-Quigley » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:57 am

TSiWRX wrote:Just a few more years, and Anna and I will be heading to:

I thought everyone in your area of Ohio would be experts in winter driving by now, with all that lake effect snow you get. :)
M-Quigley

Postby JustaShooter » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:35 am

M-Quigley wrote:

I thought everyone in your area of Ohio would be experts in winter driving by now, with all that lake effect snow you get. :)

Speaking of, today looks like a great day to hone your skills!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby Brian D. » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:20 am

Christmas Day was great timing for what I did; when else are you going to have a large mall parking lot all to yourself. It looked like when the Griswalds got to Wally World's property in the first "Vacation" movie.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Postby heathen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:12 am

I used to use an empty section of the parking lot at work for practice but they installed cameras now. Now if it's safe, I put myself in a slight spin on the way out or find a back road.
heathen

Postby Cruiser » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:59 am

I run a 2004 Ford Focus, my winter tires are Firestone Winter Force tires on an extra set of wheels. This is the third season for them. Best winter tires I ever owned.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby TSiWRX » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:37 pm

JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:

Speaking of, today looks like a great day to hone your skills!

Nay, my friends - unfortunately (and I say this because I love snow...it's what happens when you spent the first 9 years of your life in a near-tropical climate, where the only snow exists on mountain tops! :P ), Shaker's barely got enough snow to go sledding on.

I think that this is where a lot of folks who don't live right in this area get the mistaken notion that somehow NE-Ohio is all a pile of white-fluff, brown/black-slush, and glare-ice this time of year. :lol: Cleveland and the even the inner-ring eastern suburbs like the Heights or Orange/Beachwood actually are not in the primary snow belt, and even Solon and Moreland Hills are just fringe. Most of the time, we see considerably less snow than even just a bit further east, like Mentor, which in-turn tend to get less than places like Ashtabula or Geauga counties.

My grill outside may have a foot of snow on it, but my lawn has barely 6 to 8 inches - if not half that in some spots - and our plow service has not averaged more than 1 trip per day for the last week, and our driveway is actually well-groomed even considering this relaxed pace. Most of the better municipalities like Shaker has had no trouble keeping up with street clearance, either, as even side-streets are seeing servicing.

I think the most telling is when folks in my area call up a place like Discount Tires Direct or Tire Rack and ask for a winter tire package for their vehicles. Immediately, these retailers will recommend "Studless Ice & Snow" tires, which, in-truth, are an overkill in this area. Given our typically well-groomed streets, folks outside the primary snow belt would actually be much better served with "Performance Winter" tires, which have an expanded performance (read: safety) envelope on the wet and only sometimes slushy roadways that typically occur in this area versus the more snowbound primary belt. :)
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby pk47 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:08 pm

TSiWRX wrote:Most of the better municipalities like Shaker has had no trouble keeping up with street clearance, either, as even side-streets are seeing servicing.

The key word is "better" as some suburbs are abysmal at clearing the streets. I live in a secondary snow belt and it takes 24-48 hours before my street is plowed. It can take a 4wd to get out of my street.
pk47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby schmieg » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:19 pm

pk47 wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:Most of the better municipalities like Shaker has had no trouble keeping up with street clearance, either, as even side-streets are seeing servicing.

The key word is "better" as some suburbs are abysmal at clearing the streets. I live in a secondary snow belt and it takes 24-48 hours before my street is plowed. It can take a 4wd to get out of my street.

I recall a snowstorm in the winter of '85 where my Bronco couldn't get out of my street because the drifts were so high it just lifted the vehicle off the ground.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Postby TSiWRX » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:25 pm

^ :o :shock: :lol:

pk47 wrote:

^ Ayup.

Saw a single-vehicle wreck (bumper torn off) in Cleveland Heights on Fairmount not 300 ft. from the intersection of Cedar the other morning, before their plows got out to take care of the slush there.

Crossed over into Shaker, and the roads were just wet.

Felt really sorry for that driver. :cry:

We live in the Sussex neighborhood, so we border Warrensville Heights as well as go through Highland Hills and Beachwood all the time to get to our in-law's place in Orange, traveling eastbound on Harvard Rd. There's quite a clear demarcation between the communities in terms of just how well the snow gets cleared. It's almost comical.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Postby rimfireOH » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:52 am

TSiWRX wrote:There's quite a clear demarcation between the communities in terms of just how well the snow gets cleared. It's almost comical.

Comical, unless one is a resident of that municipality and paying for the services that aren't being rendered.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Postby TSiWRX » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:35 pm

^ Hence the "almost!" :P :lol:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

PreviousNext

Return to Jeff Kirchner's Korner