Interesting Ohio AG trinket from ?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Interesting Ohio AG trinket from ?

Post by M-Quigley »

My late mother was a pack rat, or maybe a hoarder. Even though she's been gone a few years, we're still going through some of her old stuff. Recently we found something she picked up somewhere, a free whistle from the Ohio crime victims bureau. I don't know if the the OH AG thought that whistles were really a deterrent to crime, :( or if it was supposed to just be a novelty item to have the toll free number on it. I have no idea how old it is. When you use it, the tone it makes sounds exactly like the whistle tone you hear in the movies when London bobbies are using a whistle. :)

If anyone has any idea when they were handed out, let me know. Thanks

https://freesound.org/people/klankbeeld/sounds/242537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rouger10

Re: Interesting Ohio AG trinket from ?

Post by rouger10 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought the AG just investigated crimes "generally" in Ohio. Not really street crimes, but scams and frauds and the like. I took it as "blowing the whistle on a scam" as opposed to any deterrent effect.

Roger
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

rouger10 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought the AG just investigated crimes "generally" in Ohio. Not really street crimes, but scams and frauds and the like. I took it as "blowing the whistle on a scam" as opposed to any deterrent effect.

Roger
The AG's office took great interest and promised many resources when those seven family members were murdered in southeast Ohio about two years ago.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

rouger10 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I thought the AG just investigated crimes "generally" in Ohio. Not really street crimes, but scams and frauds and the like. I took it as "blowing the whistle on a scam" as opposed to any deterrent effect.

Roger
They also allegedly do with other things, like the crime victims compensation fund, education efforts to prevent crime, etc.

You can find similarly shaped whistles on ebay, etc, as "emergency signaling whistles", but those whistles don't produce the same tone that this whistle does. This whistle seems to be specifically designed to mimic the London bobby whistle sound, and it's tone and pitch would probably make a poor emergency signaling device for most areas.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

That whistle is specifically designed to alert Mike Dewhine, it's the audio version of commissioner Gordon's bat signal.

Every time you blow it, no matter where you are in Ohio Mike Dewhine cocks his head sideways like a dog.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/