When "Game Over" is the only appropriate answer

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

When "Game Over" is the only appropriate answer

Post by bignflnut »

LA JUNTA, Colo. (CBS4) – An admitted murderer was elected to serve on the East Otero School Board in La Junta.

Thomas Seaba pleaded guilty to murdering a fellow Marine in the 90s. A detective on the case said Seaba shot the victim five times.

SNIP

The East Otero School District’s superintendent, Rick Lovato, said “We researched to see what the criteria was. It is not outside of the rights for a person with a felony conviction to run for the office.”
confessed killer school board 6sotvo transfer frame 682 1 Voters Elect Known Killer To School Board

The only thing that would bar someone for running for school board in Colorado is a sex crime against a child.
I hope nobody will confuse me for a Statist or someone who regularly advocates for the State to increase in power.

How is the "rule of law" to be respected when this is its product?

That said, there's only one proper response to a convicted murderer and that is the swift execution of justice and destruction of their body. Anything less, including but not limited to freeing the murderer, creates a host of problems that can only be remedied with the sentence of "Game Over".
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: When "Game Over" is the only appropriate answer

Post by WestonDon »

bignflnut wrote:
LA JUNTA, Colo. (CBS4) – An admitted murderer was elected to serve on the East Otero School Board in La Junta.

Thomas Seaba pleaded guilty to murdering a fellow Marine in the 90s. A detective on the case said Seaba shot the victim five times.

SNIP

The East Otero School District’s superintendent, Rick Lovato, said “We researched to see what the criteria was. It is not outside of the rights for a person with a felony conviction to run for the office.”
confessed killer school board 6sotvo transfer frame 682 1 Voters Elect Known Killer To School Board

The only thing that would bar someone for running for school board in Colorado is a sex crime against a child.
I hope nobody will confuse me for a Statist or someone who regularly advocates for the State to increase in power.

How is the "rule of law" to be respected when this is its product?

That said, there's only one proper response to a convicted murderer and that is the swift execution of justice and destruction of their body. Anything less, including but not limited to freeing the murderer, creates a host of problems that can only be remedied with the sentence of "Game Over".
I certainly would never accuse you of being a Statist.

I won't comment on the appropriateness of the sentence on the murder conviction as I don't know any of the details surrounding the case.

The problem, if there is one, is with the voters of the East Otero School District. Let 'em reap what they sow.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

On the other hand, he has served his sentence. Should he not be judged on current behavior? We have often discussed here whether convicted felons should have their rights restored upon paying their debt to society and the consensus (not unanimous, of course) is that they probably should.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

schmieg wrote:We have often discussed here whether convicted felons should have their rights restored upon paying their debt to society and the consensus (not unanimous, of course) is that they probably should.
Yup. I agree with that. I simply think that the "debt to society" should be infinite in certain cases, this one included, and therefore, the books would balance swiftly in the graveyard.

It could be an spectacular tale of redemption. I hope that it is.
The civil government is charged with upholding justice so that citizens don't take matters into their own hands. This would seem like a temptation for the victims family.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798