Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Post by Chuck »

rickt wrote:I happened to be driving by and saw about five guys with signs about a block east of the CPD location. I stopped to see if any forum members were present but none of those present said they were and I got the impression that some of them had never heard of OFCC.
I hope you told them about us
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Lots of shotguns in that photo
The event, held at the 3rd Police District headquarters on Chester Avenue, is put on by police, ArcelorMittal, the city and the Cleveland Police Foundation. Gift cards were from True North-Shell, Dave's Supermarket and Target.

Police took 98 guns off the streets to be melted at ArcelorMittal which donated the money for the $100 gift cards
Lots of quotes from people that think this is a great way to get unwanted guns out of homes, and prevent accidental shootings.

no mention of people offering cash for guns.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Is that a Ruger GP100 on the top of the handgun stack and also an M1 carbine in the middle of the rifle pile?

That pile in the back looks like a lot of pellet guns. I wonder if they got gift certificates.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

LOoks like a Ruger mini 14.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

M-Quigley wrote:Speaking of the smelter, if any guns were stolen in another part of Ohio, used by who knows how many criminals before being turned in at the Cleveland buy back, does the PD check and return the gun to it's rightful owner?
It's something that has always been questioned but the PD refuses to answer how they handle guns after finding them and nobody has really pushed them hard enough on public records requests to force them to answer or make them pay during each gun buy back. OFCC tried but they court filed (for Cleveland refusing to answer on prior buybacks) outside of the time and I believe those were some of the cases they lost in their most recent Cleveland case.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:Is that a Ruger GP100 on the top of the handgun stack and also an M1 carbine in the middle of the rifle pile?

That pile in the back looks like a lot of pellet guns. I wonder if they got gift certificates.
The silver revolver looks like a Rossi or Taurus or Astra maybe, cylinder release is not that of a GP-100. Some of the guns in the rear could be .22 or even centerfire rifles.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Speaking of the smelter, if any guns were stolen in another part of Ohio, used by who knows how many criminals before being turned in at the Cleveland buy back, does the PD check and return the gun to it's rightful owner?
It's something that has always been questioned but the PD refuses to answer how they handle guns after finding them and nobody has really pushed them hard enough on public records requests to force them to answer or make them pay during each gun buy back. OFCC tried but they court filed (for Cleveland refusing to answer on prior buybacks) outside of the time and I believe those were some of the cases they lost in their most recent Cleveland case.
It seems kind of ironic. If a criminal him or her self damages a gun that is stolen or used in a crime, it's tampering with evidence. It's perfectly okay however to turn it into a gun buy back program and let the city essentially do the same thing. :roll:
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

M-Quigley wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
It seems kind of ironic. If a criminal him or her self damages a gun that is stolen or used in a crime, it's tampering with evidence. It's perfectly okay however to turn it into a gun buy back program and let the city essentially do the same thing. :roll:
It would be nice if an injunction was slapped on the city sayin not so fast to the furnace. First check if its stolen and check ballistics.
Black Rifles Matter