Good luck if you're depending on bear spray in the woods

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Good luck if you're depending on bear spray in the woods

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.outdoorlife.com/how-i-survi ... SOC&dom=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He had a 10mm pistol and a can of bear spray. He chose to use the bear spray, and chose poorly.

Although the article was about a grizzly, or brown bear, I had a black bear encounter about a month ago, in Tenn. It was no uneventful I didn't post about it. I didn't get any pics or video, because my cell phone makes a noise when I click a picture. I also didn't want anything in my hands, just in case he (she?) charged. It was an adult black bear, no little ones with it. I don't know if a 200 grain .45 HP would've been effective if it had charged, but fortunately I didn't have to find out. :)

I also wasn't carrying bear spray because I had no idea there were any bears left in that part of Northeastern Tenn. Unlike the author of the article, I stayed still and as quiet as possible, not yelling or jumping up and down. It definitely saw me, but didn't seem to care.
Brian D.

Re: Good luck if you're depending on bear spray in the woods

Post by Brian D. »

Noticed that when the author eventually found and accessed his handgun, he cocked the hammer for whatever reason. I wonder if it was a 1911 that he hadn't been carrying in condition 1, a double action semiauto or revolver that he shouldn't have needed to cock to fire, or perhaps a single action revolver? Maybe it just gave him a bit more confidence.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

He wrote like a tree-hugging liberal, just give the bear what she wants and she won't bother you again! Even the second time! :roll:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

He wonders what he did to deserve that! He didn't have to do anything except be in her territory. Bear Spray and bells might work with black bears most of the time, but the old saw about identifying grizzly scat is that it smells like pepper from the spray and has bells in it.

I carry a .460 Mag revolver when in bear country and I hope I never have to use it, but it would have been my first choice. Bear spray on a griz isn't better than nothing; it is nothing.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

schmieg wrote: I carry a .460 Mag revolver when in bear country and I hope I never have to use it, but it would have been my first choice. Bear spray on a griz isn't better than nothing; it is nothing.
There is no handgun cartridge effective against grizzlies. Add to that the fact your target is so small and hard to hit. If you're picky about the spray and only choose one with a flammable propellant you have a flame thrower on your belt. Everybody I know that has fired on a grizzly has done so with a 12 gauge or at distance.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

calvin56 wrote:
schmieg wrote: I carry a .460 Mag revolver when in bear country and I hope I never have to use it, but it would have been my first choice. Bear spray on a griz isn't better than nothing; it is nothing.
There is no handgun cartridge effective against grizzlies. Add to that the fact your target is so small and hard to hit. If you're picky about the spray and only choose one with a flammable propellant you have a flame thrower on your belt. Everybody I know that has fired on a grizzly has done so with a 12 gauge or at distance.
Many moons ago when I was a teenager, I had the opportunity to spend some up in Northern Canada. Some of the local up there carried .44 magnum revolvers for bear protection. Not to replace a long gun, just in case they didn't have a long gun in their hands at the time. I don't know if a .44 magnum would've worked or not. I never saw any shot while I was there. I only saw one live one, but I and the person that I was with were watching it from an enclosed tractor type vehicle. I still got an up close look at it though, as at one point it stuck it's head up to my window. Judging from the size of that bear, I don't think I would've wanted to be outside with it period, particularly with a handgun. :shock:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I carry a Glock model 20 (10mm) when in "bear country", and it's stoked with .41 magnum-equivalent 200 grain full metal jacket hand loads. Way more worried about penetration than any expansion, I sort of doubt any solid body hits would go all the way through even a black bear. Also here in the eastern U.S., there are other predatory animals in the mountains and elsewhere. Wild boar travel in packs (as do feral dogs, even here in Ohio). Mountain lions are seen occasionally; who knows what they might try if they get hungry enough or think you are threatening their young?

Any long gun brought along on the trip is probably going to be back in the vehicle, so it's pretty much up to what you have at hand.

********************************************************************************
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Follow up to this story

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/11/27/fa ... on-handgun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although both had bear spray and Uptain had a 10mm Glock in a shoulder holster, WyoFile reported that the gun, determined by investigators to be in working condition, did not have a round in the chamber and the guide had taken the pistol off while he helped Chubon dress an elk the sportsman had harvested.
There was not a round in the chamber, so the gun was empty. He couldn’t make the gun work,” said Wyoming Game and Fish Regional Wildlife Supervisor Brad Hovinga, who went on to explain that the magazine was dropped from the gun at some point it was found in a different location from the Glock.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Didn't know this was that same, year old story. No wonder it seemed vaguely familiar.

See my post below: Two separate incidents.
Last edited by Brian D. on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bruenor wrote:Follow up to this story

https://www.guns.com/news/2018/11/27/fa ... on-handgun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although both had bear spray and Uptain had a 10mm Glock in a shoulder holster, WyoFile reported that the gun, determined by investigators to be in working condition, did not have a round in the chamber and the guide had taken the pistol off while he helped Chubon dress an elk the sportsman had harvested.
There was not a round in the chamber, so the gun was empty. He couldn’t make the gun work,” said Wyoming Game and Fish Regional Wildlife Supervisor Brad Hovinga, who went on to explain that the magazine was dropped from the gun at some point it was found in a different location from the Glock.

Whoops, these are two different incidents. First one in Montana, the second was Wyoming.

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

I may have mixed em up as I recalled the previous story about the hunting guide and searched for the old thread to add the update. I may have hit the wrong thread in my drive by.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson