Situational awareness story

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Situational awareness story

Post by AlanM »

Not a gun related story but I just found this on Quora.com and just have to pass it on.
Currently it's one of 28 answers to: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-creep ... d-to-you-2

Question: What is the creepiest thing that has ever happened to you?

Rayleen Tritt, Owner and Lead Photographer
Answered Sep 20
When I was 21 I had a waitressing job at a local brewery that happened to be in a mall. My parents, who I'm very close to, came and visited quite often. One night, around the busy holiday season, my parents stopped in for a drink after shopping and right before close. After a double shift I was exausted and just wanted to go home but I sat with my parents for a pint. It started to snow and my dad offered to go wipe my windshield off. My mom and I watched through the window as he tracked outside toward my car and then stopped. He stopped dead in his tracks and then started to make his way in the opposite direction of my car. My mom and I watched wondering what in the world he was doing!!!! After about ten mibutes he went toward his car and sat in it for awhile, just staring at my car. My mom and I were baffled by his behavior and starting to get annoyed.

After about 15 minutes, he came back in. We were about to yell at him, annoyed that he never even went to my car, when he asked the bartender to call the police (this was before cell phones were a accomidity).

My dad came back by us and we were speechless. What in the world?!?

My dad saw a van parked very close (almost next to) my car so that the sliding door was right next to the driver side door, where I would go to unlock it. My dad sat and watched this van not move and a male driver in it, staring at my car and the brewery exit.

When the police arrived (luckily two cop cars!!), they somewhat cornered the van so he couldn't speed off.

It turns out, after a lot of questioning and finally taking him in, he had abducted three girls in the state and was famous for a chilling cold case of a famous girl finishing work and coming out to her car at the mall.

I literally, to this day, have no idea how or why my dad suspected something, but I know he saved my life.

My mom and I watching all this from that window, sitting there slightly annoyed, haunts me to this day. I never noticed that van, but my dad did. Sends chills up my spine to this day!!!!!
79k Views · 8,572 Upvotes
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM

Re: Situational awareness story

Post by AlanM »

BTW - I've mentioned this before.
If you have time and want some other gun views other than OFCC or US Gun media, check out (and maybe answer) the questions/answers at https://www.quora.com/topic/Guns-and-Firearms.

I see some very well written, well thought out answers on this site.
Also some extremely ignorant people get straightened out (if they took the answers to heart).

I've answered a couple myself. (not necessarily all gun related)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

That story definitely highlights a man's gut-instinct. May we all be as perceptive when it counts.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

AlanM wrote:BTW - I've mentioned this before.
If you have time and want some other gun views other than OFCC or US Gun media, check out (and maybe answer) the questions/answers at https://www.quora.com/topic/Guns-and-Firearms.

I see some very well written, well thought out answers on this site.
Also some extremely ignorant people get straightened out (if they took the answers to heart).

I've answered a couple myself. (not necessarily all gun related)
Hey Alan, After your post about Quora I have dabbled over there - is it just me or does it seem like all or most of the anti-gun "questions" are all written by the same few people? The questions all seem to have the same flavor, and while there are well crafted answers, nearly the same question will show up a day later.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788