Metal Plate Sources?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Face

Re: Metal Plate Sources?

Post by Face »

The LED "white" daylight are around 5000K - but as usual, varies.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-1-4-Mill-Fi ... xy2YtRyQxy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there is 24x36x .250 aluminum plate priced not TOO bad, and if you found something else the seller had that you wanted for $25 to make it a $100 order the shipping is free. No affiliation I just searched Ebay for aluminum plate.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The rails worked great. Thanks.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

A couple of weeks ago, I stopped at Bed, Bath & Beyond to look at cutting boards, since some people recommend them as a base for macrophotography.

They had a nice thick and heavy one for a about $40.

I cut my extra t-rail in half and mounted the pieces as on the previous mount.

The cutting board works great. It's heavy enough to be stable (after applying rubber feet to the bottom). I don't even need to clamp it to the table top.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

deanimator wrote:A couple of weeks ago, I stopped at Bed, Bath & Beyond to look at cutting boards, since some people recommend them as a base for macrophotography.

They had a nice thick and heavy one for a about $40.

I cut my extra t-rail in half and mounted the pieces as on the previous mount.

The cutting board works great. It's heavy enough to be stable (after applying rubber feet to the bottom). I don't even need to clamp it to the table top.
Is that maybe UHMWPE ?? We use UHMWPE for a lot of stuff at work....they just refer to it as UHMW.....I love mass market found materials at retail that are way cheaper than buying in other ways :-).

Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE, UHMW) is a subset of the thermoplastic polyethylene. Also known as high-modulus polyethylene, (HMPE), or high-performance polyethylene (HPPE), it has extremely long chains, with a molecular mass usually between 3.5 and 7.5 million amu.[1] The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions. This results in a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made.[2]
UHMWPE is odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic.[3] It embodies all the characteristics of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) with the added traits of being resistant to concentrated acids and alkalis, as well as numerous organic solvents.[4] It is highly resistant to corrosive chemicals except oxidising acids; has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating (see boundary lubrication); and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, Teflon), but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than PTFE.[5][6]
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

willbird wrote:Is that maybe UHMWPE ?? We use UHMWPE for a lot of stuff at work....they just refer to it as UHMW.....I love mass market found materials at retail that are way cheaper than buying in other ways :-).
Nope, it appears to be good old fashioned wood. It certainly drills like wood.

I got the last of my gear for using a microscope objective on my camera today. I did a live view test with a 4x finite objective on the end of two sets of M42 extension tubes. For a subject I used a 148gr. .38 Special wadcutter round stood on its nose. The rim looked like the edge on view of a manhole cover.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

You might find this interesting.
The stop can be re-purposed easily as a light mount.
https://www.banggood.com/800mm-T-slot-T ... 02033.html
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

AlanM wrote:You might find this interesting.
The stop can be re-purposed easily as a light mount.
https://www.banggood.com/800mm-T-slot-T ... 02033.html
That's more useful information. Thanks.

Here's a shot with the objective, the swiveling part of a cuff link:

deanimator

Post by deanimator »

So far, I've been very pleased with the cutting board as a base.

Still, living across the street from I-90, there are some vibration issues.

So, I got some thick sorbothane feet to replace the small rubber feet that it sits on now.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I'm back the serious macro mount project.

A guy on photomacrograpy.net has convinced me to go with an 18"x24"x5/8" mild steel plate as the base.

I'm going to mount 80/20 type aluminum extrusion(s) to the plate and the automated rail to the extrusion(s), so I'm only going to need to drill and tap a few holes in the plate.

I'm looking for a Cleveland area place that'll source the single plate for a reasonable price.

I've emailed the hardware store and am awaiting an answer, but am looking for other options, especially in the Cleveland area.

Thanks.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Most steel suppliers can provide steel plate sawed to size, so called blanchard ground plate will be really nice for what you want.

3/4" might be way more plentiful than 5/8"

This will give you an idea on $$..they have 24" x 24" listed.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/col ... /pid/15689" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hot rolled is cheaper but not nearly as nice, it has mill scale on it.

The hot rolled you can order a custom cut size which would be your 18x24, and get 5/8" thick and it would be like 239 plus shipping.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/mild-steel-plate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also a smaller local machine shop would be worth stopping in and asking, if they have steel delivered once a week or more it will save you paying a minimum charge at a steel supplier.

Bill
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Hind sight. We carry quite a few at my store if you ever need another..these-are one of a kind made from different species of wood..we carry tables and a lot of other cheese boards and trays..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

deanimator wrote:I'm back the serious macro mount project.

A guy on photomacrograpy.net has convinced me to go with an 18"x24"x5/8" mild steel plate as the base.

I'm going to mount 80/20 type aluminum extrusion(s) to the plate and the automated rail to the extrusion(s), so I'm only going to need to drill and tap a few holes in the plate.

I'm looking for a Cleveland area place that'll source the single plate for a reasonable price.

I've emailed the hardware store and am awaiting an answer, but am looking for other options, especially in the Cleveland area.

Thanks.
Do you want me to get you a quote on a pc. of 5/8'' A-36 plate cut 18.00" x 24.00"? I work at a fabrication shop in Twinsburg.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

pirateguy191 wrote:

Thanks.
Do you want me to get you a quote on a pc. of 5/8'' A-36 plate cut 18.00" x 24.00"? I work at a fabrication shop in Twinsburg.
I'd a appreciate it. Do they also do drilling and tapping? I'm going to need at least one hole at one end. I might need more, but the forum where I get my technical advice appears to be down for the night, so I won't be able to ask any more questions until tomorrow at the earliest.

Thanks for your help.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

deanimator wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:

Thanks.
I'd a appreciate it. Do they also do drilling and tapping? I'm going to need at least one hole at one end. I might need more, but the forum where I get my technical advice appears to be down for the night, so I won't be able to ask any more questions until tomorrow at the earliest.

Thanks for your help.
We can do anything you need.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB