Black wing membership price increase, other options?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Luv2Camp

Black wing membership price increase, other options?

Post by Luv2Camp »

I love shooting at black wing but just got notice yesterday the indoor range membership is increasing from $150 to $350. Ouch! The new membership will allow you to shoot for free all days they are open instead of just on Tuesdays. They are allowing monthly payments and a month free if you pay up front. While that is great, to me it is not worth $200 more a year. Are there any other indoor ranges that are less expensive? I see lepd is less but children on the membership have to be 18 or under to shoot without paying. Black wing currently is 21 or under.
Curzyk

Re: Black wing membership price increase, other options?

Post by Curzyk »

I really like that they're changing "member day" to be every day. I hated trying to plan for just Tuesdays. It's my understanding that they also intend to add another set of indoor lanes (10?). Still, I like to figure out how many visits it'd take without a membership before it adds up to a membership. Non-members shoot for $20 on the indoor range, so I'd have to visit 16 times a year before a membership would be worth it. That calculation changes by a lot if you regularly bring a guest or two. I'd like to shoot that much, but don't end up getting around to it.

So alternatives that I'm aware of that are in the vicinity..
  • Delaware State Park outdoor ODNR shooting range is about 10 mins north of Delaware
  • AimHi range in New Albany is about 35 minutes from Delaware
  • Logan County Fish & Game club is about 45 minutes West of Delaware, and is cheap. From what I've heard, the facility is sorta like the ODNR public ranges, just with less people.
  • The Bullet Ranch in Pataskala is about 48 minutes from Delaware
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

For some more options you can search with the NSSF where to shoot site..

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Curzyk wrote:
  • Delaware State Park outdoor ODNR shooting range is about 10 mins north of Delaware
Unfortunately the Delaware ODNR range did not open this year. The plan was that it would be closed during construction of the new improved shooting facility; the old range would become the new range trap field downrange "fallout zone".
However somebody decided to ask Federal EPA for input and the EPA suddenly discovered the area had never been lead abated in the 50+ years it'd been open and went into beaureaucratic seizure, casting documents and orders in every direction.
Range is closed with no known time to ever re open.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

evan price wrote:
Curzyk wrote:
Unfortunately the Delaware ODNR range did not open this year. The plan was that it would be closed during construction of the new improved shooting facility; the old range would become the new range trap field downrange "fallout zone".
However somebody decided to ask Federal EPA for input and the EPA suddenly discovered the area had never been lead abated in the 50+ years it'd been open and went into beaureaucratic seizure, casting documents and orders in every direction.
Thanks for passing that along. Perfect example of what happens when you let the Feds get all up in yo' beeswax.

Now, quit wasting your time answering questions and get back to the Mini Evan videos wouldja?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

evan price wrote:
Curzyk wrote:
Ben Carson made an incisive statement the other day when he said, "A bureaucrat is a person who thinks the rules of the organization are more important than its goals."
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

I have never shot there. Always too busy.

Can you pick up your own brass ?
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

Six Shooter wrote:I have never shot there. Always too busy.

Can you pick up your own brass ?
No signs that you cannot. I have been picking up my brass for about 10 years there and never told I cannot.