Another US destroyer collision

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Another US destroyer collision

Post by pk47 »

USS John S McCain collides with merchant ship in South China Sea.

Time for the Navy to get back to real basics.

https://news.usni.org/2017/08/20/uss-jo ... s-underway
ArmedAviator

Re: Another US destroyer collision

Post by ArmedAviator »

I've never was a crewman on a seaborne vessel of any size, but I would imagine these occurances are happening due to over-reliance on technology. GPS? Radar? Early alert systems? Why do we need people looking out windows?
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

ArmedAviator wrote:I've never was a crewman on a seaborne vessel of any size, but I would imagine these occurances are happening due to over-reliance on technology. GPS? Radar? Early alert systems? Why do we need people looking out windows?
I spent time on carriers and boomers years ago. Another part, IMO, is emphasizing too much current social engineering and not enough basic seamanship, watchstanding and rules of the road today.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Is it at all possible that China or the little fat guy in No Korea is messing with electronics by using EMPs or something?

I know it is kinda tin-foil hat-ish, but it really pains me to think that our guys are so poorly trained that they can't avoid colliding with big ships. If the Obama administration socially engineered the military that bad so that they are not safe out there, it will take a long, long time to repair that and regain what we had.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Mustang380gal wrote:Is it at all possible that China or the little fat guy in No Korea is messing with electronics by using EMPs or something?

I know it is kinda tin-foil hat-ish, but it really pains me to think that our guys are so poorly trained that they can't avoid colliding with big ships. If the Obama administration socially engineered the military that bad so that they are not safe out there, it will take a long, long time to repair that and regain what we had.
I suspect it's more about social engineering. I have several people who stayed in and I kept in touch. They all told me how bad it was getting starting in the 90s, and only gotten worse the last 15+ years. Promotions aren't based on merit anymore. If you listen to the bridge watch audio recordings of the Porter's collision some 5 years ago, and know bridge watch procedures, you can hear the lack of good decision making.

I saw pictures of current officers in the past few years - a woman who was a Public Affairs Officer had seven rows of ribbons. Take a look at people after WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. People involved in full combat never had that level of decoration. Overall, the forces aren't what they used to be, and have degraded for various reasons - one of them being the current social engineering. It's a sorry state.

I hope they find some of the 10 missing sailors from the McCain alive. A sad day for the ship's families.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Mustang380gal wrote:Is it at all possible that China or the little fat guy in No Korea is messing with electronics by using EMPs or something?

Tin-foil hat or not.. There's too much of this going on.
Definition of sabotage
1: destruction of an employer's property (such as tools or materials) or the hindering of manufacturing by discontented workers
2: destructive or obstructive action carried on by a civilian or enemy agent to hinder a nation's war effort
3 a: an act or process tending to hamper or hurt
b: deliberate subversion
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Good news is the CNO has called for a stand down in the Pacific fleet. This is the fourth incident in 7 months (3 collisions, 1 grounding) for forward deployed units, and it seems the forward based units get much less refresher training than the US-based ones. Some good systematic changes should come. We'll still have personnel in positions who aren't the best qualified but a good system will help them improve.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

pk47 wrote:
I saw pictures of current officers in the past few years - a woman who was a Public Affairs Officer had seven rows of ribbons. Take a look at people after WWII, Korea, or Vietnam. People involved in full combat never had that level of decoration..
My father retired as a Naval Reserve Captain, having served in active duty in WWII and Korea and he only had three and one-third rows (of course, only one ribbon each for his three Purple Hearts and three Bronze Stars with V).
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pk47 wrote:Good news is the CNO has called for a stand down in the Pacific fleet. This is the fourth incident in 7 months (3 collisions, 1 grounding) for forward deployed units, and it seems the forward based units get much less refresher training than the US-based ones. Some good systematic changes should come. We'll still have personnel in positions who aren't the best qualified but a good system will help them improve.
How does this stand down order affect things should the little dictator in NK suddenly change his mind about shooting missiles at Guam, or some other action in the Pacific?
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

M-Quigley wrote:
pk47 wrote:Good news is the CNO has called for a stand down in the Pacific fleet. This is the fourth incident in 7 months (3 collisions, 1 grounding) for forward deployed units, and it seems the forward based units get much less refresher training than the US-based ones. Some good systematic changes should come. We'll still have personnel in positions who aren't the best qualified but a good system will help them improve.
How does this stand down order affect things should the little dictator in NK suddenly change his mind about shooting missiles at Guam, or some other action in the Pacific?
Not sure what "stand down" means for ships not involved in actual combat mission but I am sure it doesn't affect combat readiness. Most ship functions have to go on no matter what. Even ships in port have necessary functions that must go on.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

In those cases, a stand down means off time is spent in the refresher training. Time when you are not on watch is when that happens. In the aviation community, they may have a no fly day, but shipboard personnel do continue operations.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

When I was in, (USS Sterret DLG31), the Special Sea & Anchor detail was set going in & out of port, or in crowded shipping lanes. I cannot imagine the Captain I had allowing anything to get near that ship. Especially a "merchie". Navy Times has nothing at all about this except pray for the families - copy that.
Tin Foil Hat Time: Read an article that China makes the wheels & tires for our Humvees. Guess they could supply boards & chips too. With all of the tech on the modern ships, it is not inconcievable that a circuit board some where has an "extra" chip with some embedded code. Actvated via remote control.... </tinfoil> :shock:
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788