Amazon Sunday Delivery?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Amazon Sunday Delivery?

Post by deanimator »

Does anyone have any experience with Amazon Sunday delivery?

I ordinarily have things delivered to a friend's office since there's no rental office here and I really don't buy $500 camera lenses so strangers can sell them to buy crack or meth.

However, one of the Amazon Prime shipment options was free delivery today. Since I knew I was going to be home at least until the delivery was made, I opted for that.

Checking the order status this morning, I discovered that the order was listed as having been "delivered"... YESTERDAY by the USPS, and was "left in the mailbox". Given that this was two IKEA gooseneck table lamps (great for macrophotography), I knew it hadn't been left in the mailbox. Nor was it in the lobby.

I called Amazon who didn't themselves know when it would be delivered, despite the "guaranteed" delivery date of today.

Online I found a story on Channel 19's website announcing Sunday delivery, but it was from 2014.

Has anyone had Sunday delivery from Amazon Prime via USPS?

They've already processed a cancellation in the event it doesn't show (or is stolen), but I was wondering if anyone had actually gotten something this way, successfully.

I told them that if they had to ask ME if there was Sunday delivery in this area, they shouldn't promise it on the order page.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Amazon Sunday Delivery?

Post by Mr. Glock »

Yes, it is fairly common now in some areas.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Mr. Glock wrote:Yes, it is fairly common now in some areas.
Thanks.

Do they just leave the package? Do they ring the bell? Any idea?
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

deanimator wrote:
Thanks.

Depends on your individual carrier person, i find them in thr mailbox, at my garage door and my front door. Seldom do they ring the door bell. If you want it to the door, you might be able to put a signature request on it?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Mr. Glock wrote:
deanimator wrote:
Thanks.

Depends on your individual carrier person, i find them in thr mailbox, at my garage door and my front door. Seldom do they ring the door bell. If you want it to the door, you might be able to put a signature request on it?
Here's the message on the USPS tracking site:

" Expected Delivery Day: Saturday, August 19, 2017

Your item was forwarded to a different address at 7:28 pm on August 19, 2017 in ROCKY RIVER, OH. This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. "

Informative, huh? The delivery address was correct. WHAT "different address"??? The Rocky River Rec Center? CIA Headquarters? Amy Schumer's apartment?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

deanimator wrote:CIA Headquarters? Amy Schumer's apartment?
Those are in Rocky River? Hot dang, who knew!!

But seriously yes I've had Sunday deliveries from Prime before. The only difference is it's usually not the regular mail carrier. Those guys and gals would get way too much overtime to work on Sundays so they're mostly part-time contract personnel, many of whom only work on Sundays. Until recently the ones that delivered out my way didn't even wear Postal uniforms a lot of the time. Sometimes you'll even see them with a GPS suction-cupped to the windshield.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

They usually just leave it on my front porch. Occasionally I've had one marked as delivered that didn't show up until the next day.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

deanimator wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Amazon Sunday delivery?
I basically buy everything on Amazon now, including using Amazon Prime for food (what they carry, anyway). If they delivered groceries, I'd do that, too. Bought into the system? Yup, that's me.

Anyway, I routinely have things delivered with Sunday delivery. For me at least, it's invariably USPS and they invariably deliver it to the porch, not the mailbox, regardless of size. However, I would guess it depends on your particular carrier.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Oh, plus a number of deliveries in general are starting to come via Lyft or Uber too.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

The carriers report whether they delivered it or not. I think a lot of times, they report as delivered so they can go home and drop it off some other time.

I had a Sunday shipment coming which didn't show up and the USPS site reported that delivery had been attempted, but that the carrier couldn't get to my front door. There was a note that this could be because access was either blocked at the property or that they couldn't get into a gated community. Since I don't live in a gated community and there was no blockage on my property, I filed a complaint with USPS. I never received anything back except that they would look into it.

The package was delivered the next day by a non-USPS truck and some woman who wasn't in uniform.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I've spent the afternoon on Amazon's support forums reading literally DOZENS (if not hundreds) of complaints about USPS lying about Sunday (and other) deliveries. It seems like it's SOP for them to lie about "business closed" for a residential delivery, "no access" for places anyone could walk into, and a variety of other whoppers, frequently documented on video.

I sent a very well documented email to Amazon customer relations this afternoon (with a copy to my lawyer).

I suspect what will get this straightened out is a class action suit against Amazon. They may not be responsible for what the slugs at USPS do, but they ARE responsible for charging Prime customers extra for a service which is routinely not delivered. As I noted to Amazon, an extra month of things not being delivered on time (or at all) isn't really any compensation for things not being delivered on time (or at all). If USPS is costing them money from people ditching Prime as useless (and returning late orders, I had my order provisionally canceled so that I wouldn't be paying for something that gets stolen when I'm not here), then they need to cut USPS loose, and or sue them for non-performance.

I have to ask who the Postmaster General is, John Koskinen?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

deanimator wrote:I sent a very well documented email to Amazon customer relations this afternoon (with a copy to my lawyer).

I suspect what will get this straightened out is a class action suit against Amazon.
Hopefully your lawyer will point out that in very bold type in the Terms and Conditions you and every other customer agreed to binding arbitration, or at most, small claims court. There will be no successful class action lawsuit against Amazon for the incompetence of USPS.

Also, let's put things in perspective here. You've spent the day reading dozens, if not hundreds of complaints about delivery problems. Amazon gets an estimated 600 orders PER SECOND. The complaints, while no doubt valid, represent an infinitesimally small percentage of their number of orders that are received without a hitch. Amazon has a system for refunding customers when there are problems. Actual damages are pretty much non-existent.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

djthomas wrote:Hopefully your lawyer will point out that in very bold type in the Terms and Conditions you and every other customer agreed to binding arbitration, or at most, small claims court. There will be no successful class action lawsuit against Amazon for the incompetence of USPS.

Also, let's put things in perspective here. You've spent the day reading dozens, if not hundreds of complaints about delivery problems. Amazon gets an estimated 600 orders PER SECOND. The complaints, while no doubt valid, represent an infinitesimally small percentage of their number of orders that are received without a hitch. Amazon has a system for refunding customers when there are problems. Actual damages are pretty much non-existent.
Those are the ones I read about... TODAY.

You don't know how many of them there REALLY are. I bet discovery would find out pretty quick.

Don't be surprised if you see a solicitation for potential plaintiffs. Amazon can't say they don't know, and yet they're still taking money for a service not being provided as paid for. In fact, it's costing small businesses big money in lost business.

If you can sue for not being told not to use your snowblower on the roof, you for sure can sue for blatant fraud.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

deanimator wrote:I've spent the afternoon on Amazon's support forums reading literally DOZENS (if not hundreds) of complaints about USPS lying about Sunday (and other) deliveries. It seems like it's SOP for them to lie about "business closed" for a residential delivery, "no access" for places anyone could walk into, and a variety of other whoppers, frequently documented on video.
Business closed that's funny. we were ordering things for work, and not requesting Sunday delivery because we were closed on the weekends and the office is located downtown Cleveland on Superior Ave. invariably they kept delivering orders on Sunday leaving them on the doorstep, then Monday morning we would watch the security video of someone walking down the street stealing whatever was left. We literally had to fight with Customer service to get them to STOP making Sunday deliveries to our business when it was closed. We couldn't understand why ANY carrier would think it was OK to leave a box on the doorstep in downtown Cleveland.

Meanwhile I keep complaining to Customer service about not getting 2 day delivery for my prime orders. any order I place Wed evening, or Thursday through Sunday any time gets delivered the following Wednesday, because they don't ship any of those orders till the following Monday. i would accept Thursday orders delivered Monday, or Friday orders delivered on Tuesday, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

I am so not impressed with Amazons shipping.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

deanimator wrote:I've spent the afternoon on Amazon's support forums reading literally DOZENS (if not hundreds) of complaints about USPS lying about Sunday (and other) deliveries. It seems like it's SOP for them to lie about "business closed" for a residential delivery, "no access" for places anyone could walk into, and a variety of other whoppers, frequently documented on video.
Had something like that happen once with the "no access" which was strange since it's a single dwelling residential address and I had taken the day off so I could be here for it, had to take a second day. I filed a complaint even though it arrived the next day. Carrier just didn't want to bother delivering it that day and couldn't come out and say it. Found out later it was a sub instead of my regular delivery woman.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers