Dog Shock Collars

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Dog Shock Collars

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I have recently obtained a 4 year old German Shepherd. He was a rescue for the previous owner whom is moving to Florida (good friend of ours) and unfortunately can't take him with her. So we have obtained him as an early wedding present. We are running into an issue with him outside. Yes, he's a new dog and still learning his place, but we are trying to find easier solutions to everything with living on 7.6 acres of land. Currently one issue is he won't poop while on the leash. But if we take him off the leash and the neighbor's dogs are out, he wants to run along the fence line with them, which usually ends up with him on the other side of their house at one point.

I was thinking in-ground electric fence but that's a lot of land to run the wire around so he can actually follow us everywhere on the property. If we kept it just to the back yard then I'd be worried if we forgot to turn the fence off or on when we want him to go back to the barn with us. I was then thinking remote collar but am worried if I'm working in the field or with the horses and not paying attention, he'll wander off then be out of range.

What I would like is a remote control shock collar that if he walks near out of range of me, he gets a small zap. If he's doing something he shouldn't, I can then manually zap him. Then in the morning when I let him out, he can simply run off the back deck, do his business, and the remote will be right next to the door.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Dog Shock Collars

Post by Aesinsp »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I have recently obtained a 4 year old German Shepherd. He was a rescue for the previous owner whom is moving to Florida (good friend of ours) and unfortunately can't take him with her. So we have obtained him as an early wedding present. We are running into an issue with him outside. Yes, he's a new dog and still learning his place, but we are trying to find easier solutions to everything with living on 7.6 acres of land. Currently one issue is he won't poop while on the leash. But if we take him off the leash and the neighbor's dogs are out, he wants to run along the fence line with them, which usually ends up with him on the other side of their house at one point.

I was thinking in-ground electric fence but that's a lot of land to run the wire around so he can actually follow us everywhere on the property. If we kept it just to the back yard then I'd be worried if we forgot to turn the fence off or on when we want him to go back to the barn with us. I was then thinking remote collar but am worried if I'm working in the field or with the horses and not paying attention, he'll wander off then be out of range.

What I would like is a remote control shock collar that if he walks near out of range of me, he gets a small zap. If he's doing something he shouldn't, I can then manually zap him. Then in the morning when I let him out, he can simply run off the back deck, do his business, and the remote will be right next to the door.
I'm no dog expert for sure.. but in my opinion/experience, you and the dog may need some formal training, explicitly.

We moved out of the city to a rural setting about 18 months ago, still.. our road is a main thoroughfare thru the area.
I still take both dogs (9 yr olds) out on leash twice a day. My wife's yellow lab is bad(good?) about putting his nose to the ground and acting like humans don't exist.. My lab-rott mix, I've had since she was about 8 weeks old. She pretty much follows me all over the house - unless its bedtime. Outside daily, she goes on cabled-dog-duty, overlooking the back yard barking at chickens, ducks, turkeys and anything else that moves. At the end of her day outside, I (either of us really) could unhook her at the back yard and while she might run ahead, by the time we get inside the house, she wants to know where we are and join us. The yellow lab? unless going straight to the car for a ride - doesn't go outside off leash.

The type of collar you mentioned sounds interesting, like a hybrid invisible fence/ manual remote.. but you'd still need to carry it constantly at home. A low battery/ mechanical failure for whatever reason, then you are right back to where you were before the expense of the collar. I hate buying things and later end up giving up on them, my 2 cents.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I have a friend who is a coon hunter and he has shock collars for his dogs and they work exactly like you mentioned, you can find them at Tractor Supply or Rural King. Oh and don't bother trying it on your wife it has the opposite effect.

I think the best answer is for you and your wife to attend a dog obedience class where they teach YOU to train your dog, it worked for me.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

We have a new dog (a couple months with us) that likes roaming around a lot. We are on 30 acres of mostly woods, 1/4 pasture surrounded hundreds of acres of woods and scrub with farm fields scattered in.
Ole "Spotter" needs a collar I can program parameters for home and change while taking it mobile when hunting.
Will the TSC collar do that?
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

When I was training Jake-the-puppy (Brittany/Queensland heeler mix) he had a hard time with "stay". I got a shock collar and used it on him exactly twice. It was during one-on-one training and twice is all that it took for him. After "stay" was mastered all other commands were easy. He was the best pheasant dog ever, and when hunting I could control him with hand commands from 35 to 50 yards away.
The shock collars have one major drawback as I see it: If you zap him for doing something 'wrong', then he does the same thing when you are not there/don't see and there is no zap it loses it's effectivness.
I saw these folk http://sitmeanssit.com/ at the Wood county fair and spoke to them a bit. Seems like a good program. Good Luck!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
tracker 6

Post by tracker 6 »

I haven't seen any that have setable parameters.all that I know of are manual correction.ck out the garmin website for particulars.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

BEAR! wrote:I have a friend who is a coon hunter and he has shock collars for his dogs and they work exactly like you mentioned, you can find them at Tractor Supply or Rural King. Oh and don't bother trying it on your wife it has the opposite effect.

I think the best answer is for you and your wife to attend a dog obedience class where they teach YOU to train your dog, it worked for me.
Was it your wife that had you trained there?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

schmieg wrote: Was it your wife that had you trained there?
Man, that has to cost extra!
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Be careful with those collars. I've got people trying to borrow mine, won't let em.
Bought my first one from a guy that ruined a good lab. He wasn't smarter than the dog. I'm not an expert, but I've seen some real experts with them, and they work.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

So you want a GPS based invisible fence with a training mode something like this..

https://www.sportingdogpro.com/border-p ... ing-collar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melding the worlds of remote dog training collars, wireless fences, and GPS tracking technology, this device combines them into simple to use e-collar that is capable of working with as many as 1 to 5 dogs at once. Great for walks, hiking, camping, hunting, traveling, or even keep your dog contained in the yard.
although the fence seems to be a circular distance based on a center point., you can't define the boundaries of your actual yard (or if you can I'm not picking it up from the website. )

while some of the GPS Fences let you walk the boundary to define the containment area.
http://www.invisiblefence.com/solutions/outdoor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but I see no mention of a training mode for this product.

The Petronix Geo roam lets you set a roaming waypoint that specifies a distance from you that signals if the dog exceeds it.. but it's just a tracker and not a fence or trainer.. there is no static, vibrating, or audio correction in the collar for this device.
http://www.pettronix.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Customized Geofences - Design any shape for your GPS perimeter with up to 25 fence posts
Create a moving geo-fence that follows your movements and receive an alert if your dog exits the perimeter
Does your RoamEO dog collar have a correction stimulus? No. We are looking at this feature for future versions.

Looks like there are several products that are close, too bad you can't pick and choose the features alacarte.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

schmieg wrote:
BEAR! wrote:I have a friend who is a coon hunter and he has shock collars for his dogs and they work exactly like you mentioned, you can find them at Tractor Supply or Rural King. Oh and don't bother trying it on your wife it has the opposite effect.

Yes, after I tried the shock collar on her. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

BEAR! wrote:
schmieg wrote:

Yes, after I tried the shock collar on her. :mrgreen:
Lucky she stayed around to have you trained.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bruenor, I like the Invisible Fence brand but dang, they are pricey. Part of me is thinking just remote shock collar and the first few weeks he wears it I simply shock him if he goes past the end of the fence. Eventually he'll learn and think if he goes past he'll get shocked and then hopefully never do it again.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

We use Sportdog brand of collar on our Great Dane Puppy. It is very well build and works well. It is more of a tensing unit than a shock collar but the principal is the same. They do make a model with 2 mile range it is called pro huner
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
OHIOSTEVE

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

Go to Facebook and look up a guy named LARRY KROHN or youtube and look up PAKMASTERS ( same guy) watch his videos on e collar work. He is a genius . I own and HIGHLY recommend the mini educator collars. they are adjustable from almost nothing ( you literally cannot feel it) to 100 which will make you jump..... Larry teaches to use the collar as a distraction more than a punishment and he teaches proper foundation work with it. I wish you were close, I LOVE training and am not too slouchy with it.