Dog Shock Collars

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Re: Dog Shock Collars

Post by Bruenor »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Bruenor, I like the Invisible Fence brand but dang, they are pricey. Part of me is thinking just remote shock collar and the first few weeks he wears it I simply shock him if he goes past the end of the fence. Eventually he'll learn and think if he goes past he'll get shocked and then hopefully never do it again.
Pricey compared to fencing in that entire yard ? When you look at it from that angle It seems pretty reasonably priced :) but I get you, we've been wanting an invisible fence for a while and I haven't done it yet either so... click onto the dog run he goes.. again.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

We use a Sportdog collar as well for our pointer mix. We brought in a trainer back in Feb, as we were on the verge of getting rid of the most obstinate dog we have ever owned. The trainer required us to buy the collar from him, which was fine, and we did three sessions with him at our home. The training was more to teach us how to train her, but it worked wonders with her.

Some of the commands he taught us/her were,
Come, basically to come to you wherever you are and stay there until released.
Off, basically the no command.
Sit, to sit, and stay that way until released.
Break, the release command.
Place, to go onto an elevated surface, and stay until released. Good for getting her on the vet table, or other places.
Down, to lay down, and stay until released.
Heal, to walk beside you until released.

She has come a long way in the past few months. She was chewing on furniture, digging, jumping up on you constantly, and always pulling you when on the leash. She is to the point that I we can walk her off leash, and she is no longer does any of the things mentioned. I had to leave her unattended in the house while I was at work one day for 11.5 hours. My wife was out of town, and I didn't want to cage her for that long. I came home expecting the worst, and found absolutely nothing out of place. Needless to say she no longer gets caged while we are gone.

We went to a place called Spot On in Mentor OH. All in all, it was around $750 for the training, and the collar, and it was well worth it for us.

Here is a short video of her on one of our walks. She was a little reluctant to lay down on the wet ground that day, but she finally did, and everything else is just a glimpse of how she is now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4wFN-3cJC0
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bruenor wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:Bruenor, I like the Invisible Fence brand but dang, they are pricey. Part of me is thinking just remote shock collar and the first few weeks he wears it I simply shock him if he goes past the end of the fence. Eventually he'll learn and think if he goes past he'll get shocked and then hopefully never do it again.
Pricey compared to fencing in that entire yard ? When you look at it from that angle It seems pretty reasonably priced :) but I get you, we've been wanting an invisible fence for a while and I haven't done it yet either so... click onto the dog run he goes.. again.
Not even talking the size of my yard. Unfortunately for the brand Invisible Fence you have to have them come out and give you a quote and they have to do the install themselves. Looking online, I've seen pricing for about $1000 for 1/5 an acre lot. Then they want about $1000 for their collar and a year supply of batteries. Since I'm about 25 times that in just my "house yard" I imagine I could install a fence myself much cheaper. Oh wait, I already have for my horses.

We just did 1500 feet of electric wire fence for our horses and did the entire thing for under $1000. Sure, it was a lot of work, but it keeps the deer out (mostly) and the horses in. I would think one shock of that to his tail and he wouldn't get near it again.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

djmac1964 wrote:We use a Sportdog collar as well for our pointer mix. We brought in a trainer back in Feb, as we were on the verge of getting rid of the most obstinate dog we have ever owned. The trainer required us to buy the collar from him, which was fine, and we did three sessions with him at our home. The training was more to teach us how to train her, but it worked wonders with her.

Some of the commands he taught us/her were,
Come, basically to come to you wherever you are and stay there until released.
Off, basically the no command.
Sit, to sit, and stay that way until released.
Break, the release command.
Place, to go onto an elevated surface, and stay until released. Good for getting her on the vet table, or other places.
Down, to lay down, and stay until released.
Heal, to walk beside you until released.

She has come a long way in the past few months. She was chewing on furniture, digging, jumping up on you constantly, and always pulling you when on the leash. She is to the point that I we can walk her off leash, and she is no longer does any of the things mentioned. I had to leave her unattended in the house while I was at work one day for 11.5 hours. My wife was out of town, and I didn't want to cage her for that long. I came home expecting the worst, and found absolutely nothing out of place. Needless to say she no longer gets caged while we are gone.

We went to a place called Spot On in Mentor OH. All in all, it was around $750 for the training, and the collar, and it was well worth it for us.

Here is a short video of her on one of our walks. She was a little reluctant to lay down on the wet ground that day, but she finally did, and everything else is just a glimpse of how she is now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4wFN-3cJC0
I may look into something like that. He is pretty good about most commands but not all and he isn't too good about doing them until released. Heal is the big one that he just won't listen to at all. He's excellent about Come and decent about Sit. But he won't stay on either until released, so I'm working on that aspect with treats as that's about all I have right now.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
cwcdl79

Post by cwcdl79 »

I have a tri-tronics classic 70 expandable. Been using training collars for about 15 years now on beagles (pretty stubborn dogs). once they learn the rules, no issues.
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

A lot of time has passed since the twins were young, but I came up with what I thought was the perfect solution to keep them safe and always within reach.

It all started with buying a couple of child restraint devices that were available in the 70s. You know, the little harnesses and about four feet of lead. That worked perfectly until an outing to the grocery store where some college professor type with a pony tail, blue jeans, penny loafers and a sport coat with the little leather elbow patches took it upon himself to condemn my, in his words, “barbaric parenting”.

A little embarrassed, I came up with a solution to attracting unwanted attention after watching my neighbor and his Labrador Retriever. A Collie sized training collar for each of the boys that fit discreetly around their waists and out of sight under their shirts. It seemed a mild corrective high voltage shock always seemed to get their attention and head off any extracurricular wandering. Because the rascals would egg on each other hoping for my swift reaction, I settled on one frequency for both collars. If one of them did something inappropriate, they both got zapped. It cut down on the crap and I always received compliments on how well behaved my kids were.

Well, that worked just fine with no one the wiser until an incident at Richmond Mall. It was around Christmas and as soon as we went in, they saw Santa Clause and made a wild dash to see him.

Here’s where I had a problem. When I went to do what I had done dozens of times before, the button on the remote stuck and sent 30,000 volts of corrective action continuously to both boys. It seemed like hours while I fiddled with the remote, but it couldn’t have been more than one or two minutes. You had to see it. They were flopping around on the floor in front of Santa’s helper like Holy Rollers at a prayer meeting.

Women nearby screamed and security made a beeline to investigate the uproar. I was finally able to smash the remote on the floor and end the episode before explaining to the mall ninja that they had too much sugary snacks before we came. The kids, maybe frothing at the mouth a little, were relatively unscathed and no worse for wear.

I look back at it now, 40 years later, and always wonder if the kids would have amounted to more than crushing cans at the recycling center if I had just stuck with the little leash.
HancockCountyHaL
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Great read 1st thing in the morning! [As I clean coffee off monitor] :D Bravo sir, bravo.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:A lot of time has passed since the twins were young, but I came up with what I thought was the perfect solution to keep them safe and always within reach.

It all started with buying a couple of child restraint devices that were available in the 70s. You know, the little harnesses and about four feet of lead. That worked perfectly until an outing to the grocery store where some college professor type with a pony tail, blue jeans, penny loafers and a sport coat with the little leather elbow patches took it upon himself to condemn my, in his words, “barbaric parenting”.

A little embarrassed, I came up with a solution to attracting unwanted attention after watching my neighbor and his Labrador Retriever. A Collie sized training collar for each of the boys that fit discreetly around their waists and out of sight under their shirts. It seemed a mild corrective high voltage shock always seemed to get their attention and head off any extracurricular wandering. Because the rascals would egg on each other hoping for my swift reaction, I settled on one frequency for both collars. If one of them did something inappropriate, they both got zapped. It cut down on the crap and I always received compliments on how well behaved my kids were.

Well, that worked just fine with no one the wiser until an incident at Richmond Mall. It was around Christmas and as soon as we went in, they saw Santa Clause and made a wild dash to see him.

Here’s where I had a problem. When I went to do what I had done dozens of times before, the button on the remote stuck and sent 30,000 volts of corrective action continuously to both boys. It seemed like hours while I fiddled with the remote, but it couldn’t have been more than one or two minutes. You had to see it. They were flopping around on the floor in front of Santa’s helper like Holy Rollers at a prayer meeting.

Women nearby screamed and security made a beeline to investigate the uproar. I was finally able to smash the remote on the floor and end the episode before explaining to the mall ninja that they had too much sugary snacks before we came. The kids, maybe frothing at the mouth a little, were relatively unscathed and no worse for wear.

I look back at it now, 40 years later, and always wonder if the kids would have amounted to more than crushing cans at the recycling center if I had just stuck with the little leash.
What is the statute for prosecution time limit for child abuse? :D That is about the funniest thing I ever heard!!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <