Trump drug commission wants state of emergency declared

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Notasmiff

Re: Trump drug commission wants state of emergency declared

Post by Notasmiff »

First, I am no fan of government overreach, but something needs to be done.

I have seen the effects of this problem on both sides of the spectrum. Several close friends and family members, all but 1 started not by being a "druggie" or wanting to get high.
Most started by being prescribed opioids by a dr. or eventually pain management. WAY too many are given opioids for IMHO, minor injuries that DO NOT require anything that strong. The States and Federal cases against pharmaceutical companies are legitimate. Companies have misled drs. and patients about the addictive qualities of these drugs. And pushed drs. with kickbacks and incentives to prescribe these drugs.
I heard today of a woman given opioids for a sprained ankle. Really, yeah a sprain hurts, but really !!!

A friend who had not even been a weed smoker, had a MC accident years back and had pins & screws in his ankle. Given opioids by a dr. and 15 or so years later, last year in fact, now dead. Found by his dad od'ed in bed after losing everything and moving back with parents.

Too many people have been given opioids, and before you know it...hooked. The pain they are supposed to treat, becomes pain from not having enough meds. or tolerance to them grows very quickly. Then, 1 mistake or whatever and dr. or pain management cuts them off. Maybe someone in there 50s, who knows someone who can get them on the street. Maybe they'll be taking a strong dose by then and they buy some for sometimes $20.00 a pill or more. After they get to know the dealer, he says, I'm out of percs., but can sell you some of this for $10.00... heroine. They are in withdrawal by now from not having meds and take it !!! Just a scenario or example, and this can happen in just a few months.

Then there's the Fentanyl issue. A surgical anesthetic.... then carfentanyl a zoo animal tranquilizer !!
I've heard it compared to grains of salt. About 50 grains of fentanyl will kill you. About 5 grains of carfentanyl !!!
And yes, handling or breathing carfentanyl can kill someone !!!

Some 60% have started the addition by being prescribed opioids by a dr. to start. Most could have made it through with Motrin just fine, but drs. don't get a free golf outing prescribing that.

Narcan is a crutch used by addicts, for sure, but what is the limit of times you would want to save...maybe your wife or mother, son....???
I surely don't have all the answers, but as someone who has seen it first hand, through my wife after surgery 15 years ago, she got hooked, but I caught it before it was too long and she got help and has been clean for 14 years!! RARE !!!
Anyhow, just another perspective to think about.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Notasmiff wrote: WAY too many are given opioids for IMHO, minor injuries that DO NOT require anything that strong.
They've really clamped down on that during the past few years. Unfortunately, there's a flip side - it makes it harder for the people who really do need pain medication. I discovered this myself when I was recently hospitalized for over a week with pancreatitis (not pleasant, trust me). They were IMO very stingy with the meds while I was there...and they sent me home before I was completely healed with only a 2 day supply of pills.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I'm sick and tired of hearing politicians blame the overdose epidemic on prescription opioids. They are just going after the low hanging fruit, the easy stuff, where they can get more money to line their pockets.

They don't want to address the issue of where the heroin or fentanyl or the carfentanyl comes from, no that would COST money instead of making them money. CLOSE THE BORDER!! What do you think a drug cartel would rather smuggle in, a backpack full of marijuana or a backpack full of heroin? Which is worth more?

The heroin epidemic has touched my life. I personally know 8 people I went to school with or met through friends that have died from overdoses. Two of those were good friends before they got on that crap. It has affected me in that the last time I broke my femur the DR. sent me home with Motrin after my surgery and it was tough.

Even with knowing that many people that ODed I don't think that the government should give Naloxone more than once, it's a waste.

Drive the cost up by CLOSING THE BORDER!!
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

BEAR I'm pretty sure the fentanyl analogues are "Made in China".
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Face

Post by Face »

glocksmith wrote:BEAR I'm pretty sure the fentanyl analogues are "Made in China".
Close the USPS/FedEx/UPS loophole :)
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

glocksmith wrote:BEAR I'm pretty sure the fentanyl analogues are "Made in China".
Correct. Most of the synthetic opioids are coming from China.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I've read that too but I would be willing to bet that the drug that is marketed on the street is mainly heroin. I doubt anyone would be able to inject pure fentanyl, I could be wrong but I'm not willing to test that theory out... you? :P
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

BEAR! wrote:

I've read that too but I would be willing to bet that the drug that is marketed on the street is mainly heroin. I doubt anyone would be able to inject pure fentanyl, I could be wrong but I'm not willing to test that theory out... you? :P
I understand that a lot of heroin is being cut with fentanyl, a deadly combination, especially when performed by someone doing it in their back room using teaspoons.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

It might sound a bit Alex Jones-y, but this could be considered a chemical warfare test by the Chinese. Think of how many dead from OD'ing around the entire country. I know that just here in Cincinnati and surrounding communities there have been news reports on the high number of fatalities...so the number on a national level must be significant. Since the Communist Chinese government controls all production and commerce...it's highly unlikely that they aren't involved. A few people in the US have been caught with the stuff in pounds quantities...and that is no "basement-lab" output. I mean, we've gone from trench warfare to cyber-warfare in only 100 years...so no reason this can't be seen as a new form of chemical warfare.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

glocksmith wrote:It might sound a bit Alex Jones-y, but this could be considered a chemical warfare test by the Chinese. Think of how many dead from OD'ing around the entire country. I know that just here in Cincinnati and surrounding communities there have been news reports on the high number of fatalities...so the number on a national level must be significant. Since the Communist Chinese government controls all production and commerce...it's highly unlikely that they aren't involved. A few people in the US have been caught with the stuff in pounds quantities...and that is no "basement-lab" output. I mean, we've gone from trench warfare to cyber-warfare in only 100 years...so no reason this can't be seen as a new form of chemical warfare.
The Russians were involved in this, just check Hillary's deleted emails. :wink:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George