Armatix 'smartgun' hacked with $15.00 in magnets

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Armatix 'smartgun' hacked with $15.00 in magnets

Post by Bruenor »

Who didn't see this coming.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... gnets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a hacker who goes under the pseudonym Plore has showed in a Colorado firing range that he can make the smart gun fire without the security watch anywhere near it.

By placing $15 (£11.50) magnets by the barrel of the gun he could bypass the security watch.

'I almost didn't believe it had actually worked. I had to fire it again,' he said.

'And that's how I found out for $15 (£11.50) of materials you can defeat the security of this $1,500 (£1,150) smart gun', he said.
Plore was also able to jam the device's radio signals so the owner could not fire the gun even with the watch present.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Armatix 'smartgun' hacked with $15.00 in magnets

Post by Mustang380gal »

Already being discussed here.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!