Car crash illustrates the importance of personal dash cams

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Car crash illustrates the importance of personal dash cams

Post by M-Quigley »

https://sports.yahoo.com/legal-impact-v ... 55105.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.thenation.com/article/venus ... -response/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Venus Williams got lucky, as surveillance video happened to be there and exonerated her. If however she had even a cheap dash cam, she wouldn't have had to go through all the crap she went through. It also illustrates how unreliable witness statements can be. It didn't help that the PD jumped the gun in blaming her early in the investigation.
Williams was blamed for running a red light and for violating the Hyundai Accent’s right of way. Williams’ driving allegedly made it impossible for Barson to avoid hitting her. The assignment of blame onto Williams was based at least in part on witness statements and their recollection of whether Williams ran a red light.

The accident sparked a legal aftermath. Most notably, the estate of Mr. Barson sued Williams for wrongful death in a Palm Beach County circuit court. The lawsuit seeks unspecified monetary damages not only for Mr. Barson’s death but also for the pain and suffering that he and his wife experienced following the accident.

The Palm Beach Gardens Police Department has since amended its view of the accident. In a statement released last Friday, the police say “new evidence”—namely surveillance video—indicate that Williams drove through a green light and only slowed in the intersection to avoid a collision with a Nissan Altima that had turned in front of Williams’ SUV. The video shows Williams’ SUV hit quite hard in the intersection.
The tennis legend was publicly blamed for a man’s death, only to be exonerated thanks to TMZ. Something is wrong with this picture.

The immediate public statements by police, before any kind of investigation was completed, claimed Williams was “at fault for violating the right of way.” They recklessly announced to the world—in our low-information, 140-character celebrity culture—that Venus Williams had effectively killed an elderly man.

In a June 30 Facebook post, Williams addressed the incident, writing: “I am devasted [sic] and heartbroken by this accident. My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends of Jerome Barson, and I continue to keep them in my thoughts and prayers.”

Then, at Wimbledon on July 3, the tennis media pressed Williams to discuss how she felt about Barson’s death. (I hate that they asked the question, but I get that it would’ve been absurd not to.) Williams broke down in tears, saying, “There are really no words to describe, like, how devastating and—
yeah. I’m completely speechless. It’s just…” Then she put her head in her hands and left the podium before returning, a hybrid of frayed nerves and steely resolve, to complete the interview.

After all of this, the Palm Beach Gardens police issued a statement basically saying “Whoops.” While the investigation is still ongoing, police now say that Williams was driving lawfully in the intersection, which video released by TMZ appears to confirm.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Car crash illustrates the importance of personal dash ca

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I have three vehicles and all three of them have dash cams. Heck, a few months ago at my work a dash cam helped speed a pretty bad accident investigation up. Basically it was completed in one hour vs about one month. Four car accident where a guy had a seizure, ran a red light, and struck three cars totaling them all out. One car had a dash cam and captured the entire thing and an officer was able to play that back at the station while others worked on cleaning up the intersection and gathering info from everyone involved.

I still need to figure out how to hard wire our older van in because the cigarette lighters are live 24/7 instead of only on with the vehicle.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jedi:

Most vehicles have one or more "wires" on the fuse box that are ignition switch connected - powered only when the car is "on"....

Presuming access ( :D ), you can test this with a probe, and there are adapters available that slip under (or around) fuse connections. If you have better access, you can splice to a wire for a more solid connection.

You want to supply your own fuse on the power line you install, and be sure to connect on the unfused side of wherever you made the connection. (The idea being that if the place you're getting power from has problems, the camera is powered even if the other fuse pops, while still protecting things that you added on.)

In-car video cameras of the "Solid State" variety consume very little current, so that's not a problem. Video Taping devices are only slightly worse.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Any recommendations of dash cam?

I've already been in two accidents, neither of which my fault. The first, trbkid in the other vehicle tried to out the blame on me but luckily the officer pretty obviously saw it was his fault. The second, the other driver was very forward that it was her fault. Luckily she was taking blame no problem because atleast one worked that called the accident in claimed I was doing about 90MPH despite the speed limit being 50 and me doing exactly that.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

ArmedAviator wrote:Any recommendations of dash cam?

I've already been in two accidents, neither of which my fault. The first, trbkid in the other vehicle tried to out the blame on me but luckily the officer pretty obviously saw it was his fault. The second, the other driver was very forward that it was her fault. Luckily she was taking blame no problem because atleast one worked that called the accident in claimed I was doing about 90MPH despite the speed limit being 50 and me doing exactly that.
Although this is from last year, it still might be helpful. I ended up getting a G1W online. There are better, smaller, and more expensive ones out there, but for what I need it to do it works. When the micro SD card is full it overwrites the older video files, so if you got something you want to save, it's best to save it that day. You don't have to take the card out and put it in your computer to view or save on a big screen, you can do everything with a usb cable connection.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... t=dash+cam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I almost filmed an accident last week. Some guy on a motorcycle at a cross road waited several seconds until I got right up to the crossroad, (this was a state highway) and then decided to make a left turn in front of me. I put on my brakes, just barely missing him. A still pic from the video shows the side of his MC just a few feet from the car front. (with a look of sheer terror on the face of the female passenger)

Back in the seventies, the first time I was in a car wreck, one witness (behind me) said I had a green arrow. The driver that hit me claimed he had a green light, even though the traffic to the left of him was stopped. The cop wrote me up, saying the other guy had a witness too, that said the other guy had a green light. When it went to court, my witness didn't show, and the other witness testified the other guy had a green light, and the prosecutor quit questioning him. I asked the witness where his car was parked at the time (there was a drawing of the intersection in the courtroom showing my car and the car that hit me) He replied that he was parked on the cross street. I calmly and nicely asked him how could he possibly see either my light or the other persons light? He indignantly replied that "I didn't need to see the lights, he must've had a green light. Any -amn fool knows you can't have a green arrow and a green light at the same time!" :roll: The prosecutor just sighed, looked down and shook his head from side to side. Despite winning, (if you want to call it that) I wish dash cams would've been available back then.
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 502ci »

I have two on my work van, one in front and one facing back (you can see it if you are in a vehicle from behind if you look hard enough in the window. I thought I would add a decal below the window in back calling to the attention that I have a rear view camera to possibly keep people off my tail...had the opposite affect, they tailgate closer than ever now, lol.
Nothing to see here...move along.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Just change out your sticker...

"If I can't see your bumper, I will do a brake check to see where it is at."
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Face

Post by Face »

I have a G1w also - recently had an accident happen a few cars in front of me. I was only a few blocks from home - called the PD and asked if they would like the footage. Dispatch contacted PD on scene - asked if I'd return. I copied the file to a card, went back, brief statement etc...

Oncoming car had made a left into oncoming - kaboom...

A month later was served, they wanted my testimony in court. It was a late teen - early 20's driver (and Momy) that had watched too much CSI. They had NO evidence supporting them. I was asked to verify the video and a few misc. questions. Kid got 50 bucks plus court costs. (We have cheap court I guess). Zanesville Municipal FWIW.

Several asked about the camera, quality was expressed as better than the PD dash cam.

The officer in charge turned out to be the son of a former employee - small town.

Now I need to get one facing the rear .
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

I picked this one up when I bought my SUV a few weeks back.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was able to run the wire to the back windshield by tucking it into the rubber seal inside the SUV. I then used double sided tape and put the rear cam on the glass. I can uplaod a video once my father bring my car back from KY.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I have three vehicles and all three of them have dash cams. Heck, a few months ago at my work a dash cam helped speed a pretty bad accident investigation up. Basically it was completed in one hour vs about one month. Four car accident where a guy had a seizure, ran a red light, and struck three cars totaling them all out. One car had a dash cam and captured the entire thing and an officer was able to play that back at the station while others worked on cleaning up the intersection and gathering info from everyone involved.

I still need to figure out how to hard wire our older van in because the cigarette lighters are live 24/7 instead of only on with the vehicle.
Don't forget one for the tractor, Mister Douglas! :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.