Soldier Gives His Medal of Honor back!

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Soldier Gives His Medal of Honor back!

Post by JU-87 »

I'm glad he gave his Medal of Honor back. I read his citation when it was awarded, and never thought it was anywhere CLOSE to what awardees did in past wars.(think John Bassilone-WW2). Obviously, he did'nt think so either. See his comment below.
So why did he accept it initially? :shock:
Maybe he was pressured by Army chain of command...for the recruitment effort.

I don't think he did a "bad job". He just DID his job. The event did'nt warrent ANYTHING but a "thumbs-up" from his team leader, IMO.
He finally made it right, and is a phoney no longer.

Soldier Gives His Medal of Honor to the Brigade He Says Earned It

Stars and Stripes | 9 Jul 2017 | by Nancy Montgomery

VICENZA, Italy -- The Medal of Honor has always hung heavily around Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta's neck. On Wednesday, he finally got to take it off.

In a ceremony marking the 173rd Airborne Brigade's new memorial to all the brigade's soldiers who earned the military's highest award, the former Subway sandwich maker unfastened the medal's blue ribbon from his neck and handed it over to the brigade commander...

...Giunta told Vanity Fair several years ago. "I don't think you know what I did. I didn't do s---."

On Wednesday, he acknowledged a six-year struggle to come to terms with the honor. "I'm not here because I'm a great soldier. I'm here because I served with great soldiers," he said.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2017 ... _170711.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Soldier Gives His Medal of Honor back!

Post by Cruiser »

I always had a feeling that it seemed like Obama handed out more Medal of Honor then other Presidents!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I can in no way comment on the details of military service and/or the MoH, having personal knowledge of neither

But, as to why he accepted it...has anyone turned it down in the past? Honest Question.

Having read through a number of MoH citations at Wright-Patt is the limit of my knowledge.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I encourage you to look up his story/citation. No comparison to others in past wars.
Warfare has definatly changed, but I think the US Gov has eroded the meaning of our highest military award/decoration.
Sad.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

JU-87 wrote:I encourage you to look up his story/citation. No comparison to others in past wars.
Warfare has definatly changed, but I think the US Gov has eroded the meaning of our highest military award/decoration.
Sad.
George Bush gave out few or none because he knew what they meant.
Obama gave out a lot of them thinking it made him look good to the troops! Oh wait! Or maybe that is why the troops didn't like him!
Abandon ye all HOPE!