Tractors???

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Tractors???

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Some may know, I moved and bought 7.7 acres back in February of this year (it has a house and barn on it, but is 95% clear. It has two fields, one is about 4 acres and the other about 1 acre in size that we have horses on and plan to move back and forth between as they eat one down.

The one acre field is pretty easy to mow with our riding mower, however, the 4 acres is large and slightly bumpy, so not good for a rider or zero-turn of any style. Therefore I'm looking at a tractor. I would love a mid-size Kubota or John Deere so that eventually we could get a front loader on it, but those are slightly out of my price range. Also, our priority right now would be bush hogging.

I found a guy Craigslist that has a 1949 Ford 8N totally rebuilt and repainted with a 5' bush hog for $3000. Seems slightly high considering there are ton on there around $1500, but I guess having new almost everything and repainted along with a bush hog can double the price.

I'm wondering others think I should go for it, or if it's something I should stay away from and look for something else. I like that it's old which means it's quality, but I know zilch about tractors and mainly just riding mowers, turn on, push pedal to go, engage PTO to cut, and keep going. Working six months in a lawn mower shop a few summers ago and I saw every type of mower, but never tractors.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ashtabula

Re: Tractors???

Post by ashtabula »

If the tractor was really totally rebuilt and painted the price is not bad at all. an 8n is a relatively large machine, 2 wheel drive, manual steering. It works fine in the field, but will be less than ideal in smaller tight areas.

Check and make sure the brush hog actually hooks up to the tractor power take off (pto). The 8n has an unusual pto in that it has an odd number of splines on the shaft. It requires an adapter to fit modern equipment. It also does not have a live pto, the drive gear and the pto are engaged at the same time. This can be problematic in smaller or hilly areas.

If your plan for a front end loader is certain, you may want to consider a different machine. You will spend more on the loader, frame and hydraulics than you spent on the tractor. The manual steering with a loader is less than ideal.

The pros and cons are endless, a good place to start is http://www.tractorbynet.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There is a lot of good information there. There is a forum dedicated to buying and pricing a tractor. Good luck.
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

The 8N is a great tractor. Bear in mind brakes are almost non-existent, you have to plan your moves. The other is that you really should have a Sprague clutch (one way over-running locking clutch) between the pto and brush hog to prevent the brush hog from pushing you in tight places. If it is truly rebuilt it will last a lifetime. It IS NOT a modern tractor. It will not perform as well as one, but is almost indestructible if maintained.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I was looking for an 8 or 9N as well as AC or anything that size. I ended up financing a new John Deere 4110 with front end loader and a 4' brush hog for about $250 a month. I spent more for that than any vehicle up to that point, but a very wise decision on my part.

The four-wheel drive I have is invaluable for snow and mud, something to consider with 2 wheel drive in an older tractor.

New ones are renumbered into the 2000's.

Check auctions and used tractor sales, you might find an incredible deal.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Farm implement dealers usually have a few trade ins in the back lot.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

The Ford Ns and Jubilees are about the most common small tractor in the country. Great old machines. You can still buy any part you need for them. If it's kept maintained it will last another 50 years.
If all you want is mowing and you don't specifically need 3-point implements other than a mower the IH/Farmall LoBoy Cub is a great choice. The newer 184 models are great for mowing but the old Farmalls are as ubiquitous as the Ford Ns just a bit smaller. Loaders aren't as good a choice on these.
IMHO if you can find a good deal on an older Japanese Diesel it would be a great choice.
The Kubota 6100/7100 will mow a lot of grass. Orange tractors hold value. You can still get one for under $5k with mower, often well under.
Yanmars are also a good choice but as expensive as Deere or Kubota.

Bear in mind that Deere and Cub Cadet and Ford etc. Didn't make compact diesel tractors. They bought Japanese and put on decals.
The Case/IH 234 and Cub Cadet is a Mitsubishi as are Satoh tractors.
Ford 1100 through 1500 was Shibaura.
Deere bought Yanmars.
Bolens bought Isekis.

These little tractors punch way above their class in terms of torque.
I like Diesels because the fuel doesn't go bad like gasoline over a few months, and there's nothing electrical.

A little Craigslist searching (searchtempest is what i use) and you should find something in your price range.

I've got a 80's Satoh S470 which is 2wd Mitsubishi 3-cyl diesel 18.5hp at the drawbar. Got it up in Cleveland right by the lake for $2000 with a Woods rear mower, blade and cultivator and only 750 hours on it.

I also have a 1964 Farmall Loboy Cub with a belly mower and a snowplow. Traded for that because it needed an engine rebuild. I've got another engine to install one of these days.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

At auction today, a 1948 Ford 8N brought $600.

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

calvin56 wrote:The 8N is a great tractor. Bear in mind brakes are almost non-existent, you have to plan your moves. The other is that you really should have a Sprague clutch (one way over-running locking clutch) between the pto and brush hog to prevent the brush hog from pushing you in tight places. If it is truly rebuilt it will last a lifetime. It IS NOT a modern tractor. It will not perform as well as one, but is almost indestructible if maintained.
The one I'm looking at has an overrun clutch on the PTO, so no issue there. What do you mean about the brakes? I see it has them so I'm confused.
Javelin Man wrote:Check auctions and used tractor sales, you might find an incredible deal.
I've been told that by a few neighbors but have no idea how to find any. Are they listed online or is it just something I have to keep an eye out for and may see if I'm in the right place at the right time?
Javelin Man wrote:At auction today, a 1948 Ford 8N brought $600.
I've seen some cheap ones but not ones rebuilt as much as this one. That's what has been tough, trying to figure out how much it would cost to essentially make it new again. The seller on the one on Craigslist sent me a message today advising he would lower the tractor price to $2300 and the bush hog to $500, so $2800 for both. I'm wondering if I get him to $2500 plus a $1 per mile delivery fee if I should jump on it and just buy a second tractor with a loader later on down the road.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
ashtabula

Post by ashtabula »

If you took a 8n tractor to a shop and told them to totally rebuild it, it would most likely cost more than $3000. If the tractor you are looking at has a totally rebuilt engine, clutch, rear hydraulics, pto and a front end that is serviceable, you will be happy. If you maintain it well, your grand children could be happy. I've always found spending a little more and being in the field doing the work, is better than being in the barn doing the repairs.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

ashtabula wrote:If you took a 8n tractor to a shop and told them to totally rebuild it, it would most likely cost more than $3000. If the tractor you are looking at has a totally rebuilt engine, clutch, rear hydraulics, pto and a front end that is serviceable, you will be happy. If you maintain it well, your grand children could be happy. I've always found spending a little more and being in the field doing the work, is better than being in the barn doing the repairs.
Here's the craigslist ad for it to show what he says he all did and some photos of his work as well...

https://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/6193140762.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

While the brakes do exist they do not work very well even when they are newly relined. You just learn to use engine compression to slow you. When you have to go down a grade you choose the correct gear before you start, never try to shift on the hill.
Another consideration is fuel usage. Modern gas equipment uses about half as much gas. Modern diesel uses about a fourth. How much savings pays for the new equipment?
I no longer have any of the old tractors but anytime I have to do serious work I miss them. When I'm pushing the modern stuff close to its limit I often realize the old Ferguson would have done it at an idle.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
ashtabula wrote:If you took a 8n tractor to a shop and told them to totally rebuild it, it would most likely cost more than $3000. If the tractor you are looking at has a totally rebuilt engine, clutch, rear hydraulics, pto and a front end that is serviceable, you will be happy. If you maintain it well, your grand children could be happy. I've always found spending a little more and being in the field doing the work, is better than being in the barn doing the repairs.
Here's the craigslist ad for it to show what he says he all did and some photos of his work as well...

https://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/6193140762.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like he did a frame up restoration. I like that he put a modern seat on it. Nice job!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Looks nice! Did he rebuild the engine or transmission at all? I like the 12 volt system. It looks too nice to use! :)

It's worth the $2300 but remember all the limitations as mentioned before. I remember the lack of brakes on these Fords.

3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

It's been a long time but if memory serves part of the problem with the 8N brakes is that the right brake gets most of the use. The clutch and left brake both require your left foot to operate and you can't use them both at the same time so unless you are using the left brake to help steer only the right brake gets used most of the time.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
ashtabula

Post by ashtabula »

That add raises a few red flags. He certainly made it look nice, but the repairs are the easy inexpensive ones with the exception of the front end work. There are no photos of any drive train or rear end work. There is also no mention of the hours on the machine. He is asking an upper end price for a shiny tractor with an almost 70 year old interior, and an undisclosed number of hours. I would pass. With the repairs he mad and the missing drive train work, I would give $2800 without the paint.