Tractors???

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sunfish valley

Re: Tractors???

Post by sunfish valley »

I have owned a 9n, and a 800, while about the same physical size, the 9n was about 20 hp, and the 800 was about 38 hp, on flat ground, not to high and thick of grass, you can use a 5 ft brush hog, on a 9n, 800 was no problem., i then found a new holland 2120, with shuttle shift and power stearing., 4wd, 40 hp,diesel , man what a difference it made to this aging body, my shoulders thank me every time i get on it., the only mistake i made when i bought it was not getting a front end loader on it., just got a loader put on this year and dont know how i survived without it. if you have horses i would suggest a compact tractor around 35 to 40 hp, with a front end loader, with quick disconnect (skid steer style ) bucket , you can buy, forks, spear or other attch.'s for it., as you get older i think you will not regret the purchase.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Well, good news is he sold it to someone else this morning. So I think that helps with the decision to go more modern. Actually heading out to pleasant plain to check out a few this afternoon.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

So I found a Kubota BX2200 with just over 2000 hours on it with loader and 60" finish mower. The guy wants $7000 for it which looking online is a steal minus the fact that most of the rear lights are missing, wires a still present. And the radiator has a hole in the top. Looking online I can get a radiator for for $170 for it.

Any quick thoughts on this so I can let the guy know yes or no today.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

JediSkipdogg wrote:So I found a Kubota BX2200 with just over 2000 hours on it with loader and 60" finish mower. The guy wants $7000 for it which looking online is a steal minus the fact that most of the rear lights are missing, wires a still present. And the radiator has a hole in the top. Looking online I can get a radiator for for $170 for it.

Any quick thoughts on this so I can let the guy know yes or no today.
You could probably do better, but you won't go wrong with this deal. Methinks that's just a little much for 2000 hours and repairs needed, but you have the correct loader for the tractor and a nice-sized finish mower. You'll have to get a field mower if you're going to mow pasture for livestock, a finish mower will just break.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

I'm not the tractor expert like some here, but needed a small tractor with a loader and a backhoe. All the research I did pointed to buying a used tractor (modern) under 500 hours as good practice. The difference between the used and new price for the Kubota BX series led me to just buy a new one. You should go actually prIce a new one as a comparison.

I bought the snow blower attachment too. But I'm too lazy to get up early and use it when snow plow guys are affordable. Kind of a waste. But I love the tractor itself. Ended up 17% cheaper than the John Deere equivalent, plus two way hydraulics vs JD single.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I priced a new equivalent model today at the dealer and was told $17,500 plus tax. They have 0% financing right now which is nice but that's still over twice what I can get a used for and simply don't see the benefit in paying that. Sure a warranty, but used are online almost anywhere for 8000-9000. So is a warranty worth 9000+?

ashtabula

Post by ashtabula »

The Kubota bx2200 is a nice machine. It's in the sub compact category. I'm guessing the 60' mower is a belly mower. The machine has just under 17 pto hp. With that hp you will tax it with a 5' brush hog, it would be better matched with a 4' hog. You will spend the better part of a day cutting a 4 acre field of tall grass, 2-3',with it.
How many hours? There a lot of different thoughts on that. a lot of people think that at 4000- 5000 hours a engine will need to be rebuilt. That is just a very rough guide, but you need a place to start. A home owner, non farming, running up 100-150 hours a year would be considered a moderate user. When you do the math you can see there are many years left.

It's a sub compact and as a result it weighs in at about a 1700 lbs. That will limit the loaders ability, but it will easily clean a stall or two, move some square bales, it will not move a round bale.

I went to 4-5 dealers in my area told them what I was looking for and left a phone number. I ended up with a 3 year old tractor with 25 hours for a little more than 1/2 the price of a new one. The most important thing is don't get in a hurry. You could be with the tractor for a long time, I just sold mine after 27 years.

The old new vs used debate. With new you get precisely what you want and several years of trouble free ownership. With used you get what is being sold usually at a considerable savings. It's a personal decision driven by the amount you want to spend, your ability to do repairs, and your tolerance for aggravation. Ill agree that they seem over priced, a lot like trucks. Parts and repairs seem to be extremely high. One serious repair can eat up several thousand dollars. Replacing a clutch requires the tractor be split in half, I have neither the equipment or the experience for the task. I would have to come up with the cash.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Don't buy from anyone named Haney...
C'mon, somebody had to make a Green Acres reference.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Brian D. wrote:Don't buy from anyone named Haney...
C'mon, somebody had to make a Green Acres reference.

Hahaha, that's funny stuff Brian!

Anyway, I just bought a 1948 8N for $800 but now I have to buy a bush hog.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

If you have hilly ground, you definitely want something with roll over protection (ROPS, roll bar and seat belt). In that case, stay away from the old Fords, etc. that were built before ROPS became standard.

Myself, I have been very happy with Kubota equipment (6 pieces), good solid equipment with plenty of dealers around. A lot of Kubota models are American made.

Ken