USS Gabrielle Giffords

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

USS Gabrielle Giffords

Post by glocksmith »

Oh Boy :shock: ...what's the world comin to? They just named a ship after one of our favorite anti-gunners.

"Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who survived an assassination attempt in 2011 that led to her resignation from Congress, received touching tributes Saturday from female politicians and military officials at a commissioning ceremony for a warship named after her.

With the naming of the littoral combat ship, the Arizona Democrat became the first living woman to have a Navy warship bear her name since the Lady Washington was named after Martha Washington in 1776; and Giffords is only the third living woman in US history to see her name on a naval vessel.
"

http://wtkr.com/2017/06/10/live-now-uss ... -ceremony/
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: USS Gabrielle Giffords

Post by schmieg »

glocksmith wrote:Oh Boy :shock: ...what's the world comin to? They just named a ship after one of our favorite anti-gunners.

"Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who survived an assassination attempt in 2011 that led to her resignation from Congress, received touching tributes Saturday from female politicians and military officials at a commissioning ceremony for a warship named after her.

With the naming of the littoral combat ship, the Arizona Democrat became the first living woman to have a Navy warship bear her name since the Lady Washington was named after Martha Washington in 1776; and Giffords is only the third living woman in US history to see her name on a naval vessel.
"

http://wtkr.com/2017/06/10/live-now-uss ... -ceremony/
Just remember who was president when the naming decision was made.

She wasn't honored for her anti-gun activity (though that probably crossed Obama's mind).
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Yeah...and the speakers attending the event were Jill Biden, Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi. :roll:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I prefer this version of the story:

USS Gabrielle Giffords Christened As Navy’s First Gun-Free Warship
MOBILE, Ala. — Seeking to honor a retired congresswoman and 2011 shooting victim in the most considerate and respectful way possible, the Navy today christened the future USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS-10), a first-of-its-kind, gun-free warship.

Designed to hold a core crew of 40 sailors, the Independence-class littoral combat ship has been stripped bare of its Mk 110 57-millimeter gun, all four of its Mk2 .50-cal machine guns, its Evolved SeaRAM 11 cell missile launcher, and its entire cache of small arms, which are typically issued to boarding teams and watch standers.

“Having this mighty warship be 100% gun-free not only helps to honor its heroic namesake, Gabby Giffords, but it also helps the Navy to steer clear of promoting a culture of violence,” said Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, who reportedly lobbied hard to get Congress and the Secretary of Defense on board with leaving the Navy’s newest addition to the fleet completely defenseless.

“Once commissioned and put into service,” Mabus continued, “this vessel will truly embody the Navy’s new motto of Semper Modestis— always considerate.”
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Well, I think they could've gone to a VA hospital and found someone who actually deserves the honor.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

So, Trump's not looking so bad these days. In light of the bad old days, I'd say.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

screwman wrote:Well, I think they could've gone to a VA hospital and found someone who actually deserves the honor.
Either that, or at least honor the female navy personnel that actually risked their lives to fly combat missions.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/new ... e-1.805290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

M-Quigley wrote:
screwman wrote:Well, I think they could've gone to a VA hospital and found someone who actually deserves the honor.
Either that, or at least honor the female navy personnel that actually risked their lives to fly combat missions.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/new ... e-1.805290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As much as I know this is political correctness (and I don't like her Anti-2A politics or the obvious politics surrounding this), she was a sitting member of Congress and did take a bullet to the head.

It's not like this is the USS Maxine Waters.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Mr. Glock wrote:So, Trump's not looking so bad these days. In light of the bad old days, I'd say.
AFAIK President Trump had nothing to do with this. It was in the works before he took office.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

Mr. Glock wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:

As much as I know this is political correctness (and I don't like her Anti-2A politics or the obvious politics surrounding this), she was a sitting member of Congress and did take a bullet to the head.

While I'm not a big fan of John McCain's politics, someone like him would've been a much better recipient of such honors.
Mike

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

screwman wrote:While I'm not a big fan of John McCain's politics, someone like him would've been a much better recipient of such honors.
There is a USS John S McCain named for his grandfather and father (both admirals), interestingly.
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

pk47 wrote:
screwman wrote:While I'm not a big fan of John McCain's politics, someone like him would've been a much better recipient of such honors.
There is a USS John S McCain named for his grandfather and father (both admirals), interestingly.
Hmm... Guess I should've researched that before I opened my trap. I usually do.
Mike

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mr. Glock wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:

I would probably support a ship being named after Maxine Waters, if there were good reasons why she deserved that honor. To me it's not about Giffords anti gun stance, there are a lot of anti gun people who might deserve this more than her. It's about relevance. I don't think that merely being a politician, even a pro gun one, should be enough to have a ship named after them. Her only association to the navy is she's married to a former navy service member. As far as the bullet to the head, she didn't take a bullet to the head in the military. She was merely a crime victim, like the many thousands of people in Chicago or all over the country.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

M-Quigley wrote:To me it's not about Giffords anti gun stance, there are a lot of anti gun people who might deserve this more than her. It's about relevance. I don't think that merely being a politician, even a pro gun one, should be enough to have a ship named after them. Her only association to the navy is she's married to a former navy service member. As far as the bullet to the head, she didn't take a bullet to the head in the military. She was merely a crime victim, like the many thousands of people in Chicago or all over the country.
That's what I was thinking. TBH it's been so long ago I can't remember all the circumstances surrounding the shooting. I can't remember if Jared Loughner (was that his name?) specifically targeted Giffords, or if he just fired into a crowd and happened to hit Giffords by chance. Unless she was the first one shot, the the former scenario would seem to apply.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

M-Quigley wrote:I would probably support a ship being named after Maxine Waters, if there were good reasons why she deserved that honor. To me it's not about Giffords anti gun stance, there are a lot of anti gun people who might deserve this more than her. It's about relevance. I don't think that merely being a politician, even a pro gun one, should be enough to have a ship named after them. Her only association to the navy is she's married to a former navy service member. As far as the bullet to the head, she didn't take a bullet to the head in the military. She was merely a crime victim, like the many thousands of people in Chicago or all over the country.
Fair point.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.