USS Gabrielle Giffords

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: USS Gabrielle Giffords

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:I would probably support a ship being named after Maxine Waters, if there were good reasons why she deserved that honor. To me it's not about Giffords anti gun stance, there are a lot of anti gun people who might deserve this more than her. It's about relevance. I don't think that merely being a politician, even a pro gun one, should be enough to have a ship named after them. Her only association to the navy is she's married to a former navy service member. As far as the bullet to the head, she didn't take a bullet to the head in the military. She was merely a crime victim, like the many thousands of people in Chicago or all over the country.
You miss the point. When one of the elite is a crime victim, they receive special treatment and consideration. When one of the vast, unwashed masses is a crime victim, the response depends on (a) ethnicity, (b) political points to be made in dealing with it, (c) current agendas and a few others that I can't currently think of. If the victimization fits no political or social agenda, it is ignored.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand