Portland Demonstrations

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Portland Demonstrations

Post by Bruenor »

We had the lively discussion on masks at demonstrations the other day. I thought this story and related twitter posts on the demonstrations in Portland were interesting. At least the pictures of the seized improvised weapons and shields.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... eshif.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Portland Police seized weapons Sunday during downtown protests, and are sharing pictures via Twitter.

Police say they've confiscated sticks, a slingshot, a shield and what appears to be brass knuckles and a machete. The weapons have been found with opposing groups, according to the bureau's Twitter feed.
Wondering how many of the people who had the improvised weapons seized were arrested.. they only listed 14 arrests, but those pictures have a LOT of items in them.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
glocksmith

Re: Portland Demonstrations

Post by glocksmith »

Bruenor wrote:We had the lively discussion on masks at demonstrations the other day.
I was the instigator (I think) in that discussion. And I'm still sticking to my guns. Banning masks at public demonstrations does not deprive a citizen of their right to "free speech" or the right to assemble. The Constitution never said anything about guaranteeing anonymity. ANTIFA punks and other Leftists wear masks because they intend to commit crimes and wish to avoid detection by the authorities - much like a thief wears latex gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints. You can't drive a vehicle on a public roadway without displaying license plates...so why should you be able to conceal your identity while acting out in public?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Portland, OR, is a strange place and generally very friendly to left wing loons and homeless millenials living on the street while panhandling, but it values its tourist industry and, if the loons start interfering with that, they better watch out.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

ah yes. Portland OR as a weird place. From horseys mouth...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY

And for the record I thought it was very funny
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Never saw bagpipes that shot out flame before.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand