Finding Underground Utilities

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Re: Finding Underground Utilities

Post by AlanM »

Better now than January.
Glad to hear you're making progress.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Just keep thinking about how much you're NOT paying a plumber to dig that hole. :D
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WestonDon wrote:Just keep thinking about how much you're NOT paying a plumber to dig that hole. :D
True. So it looks like the elbow that connects the hydrant to the water line is what was snapped. It was plastic and when I finally gave a small yank on the hydrant it just came apart. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the part in the hydrant out so I ended up getting an entire new one, a much better one at that. I connected it today, with a lot of effort hanging upside down in a hole and trusting my fiancee to pull me out, lol. The meter still moves, but oddly in small spurts. I'm talking like it took a good 2 minutes for the triangle to spin maybe 25 degrees in little 5 degree spurts, and besides water movement, not sure the triangle means anything. Unfortunately we still have a good amount of the saturated ground water leaking into the whole so I can't tell if I fully fixed it or if we have two leaks.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

JediSkipdogg wrote:The meter still moves, but oddly in small spurts. I'm talking like it took a good 2 minutes for the triangle to spin maybe 25 degrees in little 5 degree spurts, and besides water movement, not sure the triangle means anything.
Generally, if all your valves around the property are shut off and the triangle moves, then there is leakage somewhere. I've not heard of "the triangle" (surely there's a proper term for it that I don't know) behaving as you described it - moving in spurts. Mine either rotates or is completely still. It's still the best indicator of a leak...you just have to make sure everything is off everywhere else. Even a tiny leak will cause the triangle to spin, showing flow of water - no matter how small - through the meter.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

glocksmith wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:The meter still moves, but oddly in small spurts. I'm talking like it took a good 2 minutes for the triangle to spin maybe 25 degrees in little 5 degree spurts, and besides water movement, not sure the triangle means anything.
Generally, if all your valves around the property are shut off and the triangle moves, then there is leakage somewhere. I've not heard of "the triangle" (surely there's a proper term for it that I don't know) behaving as you described it - moving in spurts. Mine either rotates or is completely still. It's still the best indicator of a leak...you just have to make sure everything is off everywhere else. Even a tiny leak will cause the triangle to spin, showing flow of water - no matter how small - through the meter.
I'll see if I can YouTube it tomorrow and show it to everyone.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

If you are SURE everything is turned off and you still see the meter moving very slowly go around and check every toilet tank.
I'd bet nearly anything you've got one float valve that's just a hair out of adjustment and you're getting a small amount of flow you can't see in the bowl or hear.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AlanM wrote:If you are SURE everything is turned off and you still see the meter moving very slowly go around and check every toilet tank.
I'd bet nearly anything you've got one float valve that's just a hair out of adjustment and you're getting a small amount of flow you can't see in the bowl or hear.
Under the right circumstances I could see this causing the occasional movement of the meter he describes instead of a slow but constant motion, you might be onto something.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!