Camera Stores in NE Ohio?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Camera Stores in NE Ohio?

Post by deanimator »

Does anybody know of any good camera stores in NE Ohio besides Dodd and Pixel Connection in Avon?

I don't particularly care for Dodd.

Pixel Connection is decent and the people friendly, but they're pretty small.

I'm looking for some place with a good selection of accessories such as flashes, studio lighting, and used equipment.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Camera Stores in NE Ohio?

Post by pk47 »

Campus Camera and Imaging down by Kent? Website looks decent.

Not many camera stores left anymore. Cell phones and the internet killed off most of them.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

pk47 wrote:Campus Camera and Imaging down by Kent? Website looks decent.

Not many camera stores left anymore. Cell phones and the internet killed off most of them.
If I could only use my phone, I'd never take another picture as long as I lived. The only thing I take pictures of with my phone is my camera.

I haven't been that way in a very long time. I'll give them a try.

Thanks.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

I've not been there myself in many, many, many years but Van's Camera on Whipple in the Belsen Village area was always a good bet.
http://vanscamera.com/
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

scottb wrote:I've not been there myself in many, many, many years but Van's Camera on Whipple in the Belsen Village area was always a good bet.
http://vanscamera.com/
Thanks.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pk47 wrote:Campus Camera and Imaging down by Kent? Website looks decent.

For average garden variety pictures cell phones are okay, but real cameras with real optical zoom and the ability to add accessories are still useful for special situations, like long range nature photography.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

If you're allowed this far South, Youngstown Microfilm on US224 about two miles West of Ohio7, is a good Nikon source. I think they have Canon, too, and a few used pieces. Nice place to deal with, but quite small.

They also offer processing for film ( :D ), but it might be a long ride for you. They can produce a CD and proof sheet at a good price, too. I expect that they'd also take uncut negative strips to CD for you. Or print individual frames to paper (3R or 4R, or....).

Just leave your good credit card in the car. Or at least until I talk to Mike about commission sales :D.... And, unless you're into pictures of the kids or pets, don't touch any of the really good cameras. I nearly bought a high-end (film type) Nikon one afternoon. (F4, I think....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

There's a Dodd's in Solon.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

M-Quigley wrote:
pk47 wrote:For average garden variety pictures cell phones are okay, but real cameras with real optical zoom and the ability to add accessories are still useful for special situations, like long range nature photography.
80% of what I do is studio macro photography.

Doing that with a phone would be the equivalent of trying to shoot the Wimbledon at Camp Perry with a Hi Point carbine.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

SMMAssociates wrote:If you're allowed this far South, Youngstown Microfilm on US224 about two miles West of Ohio7, is a good Nikon source. I think they have Canon, too, and a few used pieces. Nice place to deal with, but quite small.
They sound like Pixel Connection in Avon. Nice people, good prices (for a store), but a small store with a relatively small selection.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bianchi? wrote:There's a Dodd's in Solon.
As I noted above, I'm not a fan of Dodd. Their prices are often outrageous. Really the only Dodd store worth going to is the main store on Carnegie. Prepare to pay top dollar for everything from a Canon 1Ds to a spring clamp.
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

I understand your statement about Dodd's high prices. I found that Dodd's will price match. I got my 300S for the same price as buying it from the New York on line stores. Just thought you should know.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

deanimator wrote:
Bianchi? wrote:There's a Dodd's in Solon.
As I noted above, I'm not a fan of Dodd. Their prices are often outrageous. Really the only Dodd store worth going to is the main store on Carnegie. Prepare to pay top dollar for everything from a Canon 1Ds to a spring clamp.
Sad to say but I got into the habit of looking things over at Dodd's and then ordering from B&H. Don't normally like to do this as it was done to me all too often when I worked at a computer store back in the day, but their prices are somewhat crazy. Used to love the customer appreciation/dealer days years ago in December when they'd have food and drink for customers at the end of the second day.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

dl1911 wrote:Sad to say but I got into the habit of looking things over at Dodd's and then ordering from B&H. Don't normally like to do this as it was done to me all too often when I worked at a computer store back in the day, but their prices are somewhat crazy. Used to love the customer appreciation/dealer days years ago in December when they'd have food and drink for customers at the end of the second day.
One thing that I noticed about them a ways back was when they basically stopped posting sales on their website for a long period. It was like they knew they had virtually no local competition. They could have been putting paper sales fliers in the Plain Dealer, but I don't buy the Plain Dealer, having no puppies to house train...
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Tourist wrote:I understand your statement about Dodd's high prices. I found that Dodd's will price match. I got my 300S for the same price as buying it from the New York on line stores. Just thought you should know.
Thanks.