What's in store for Gander Mountain

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BuckJM53

Re: What's in store for Gander Mountain

Post by BuckJM53 »

Brian D. wrote: ... Each visit to GM after that, regardless of location, sale event, etc. were busts.
I stopped in on Sunday (while my wife shopped at Elder Beerman) to see if a "closeout" sale was actually in progress. While clothing and footwear was being discounted 10 - 30% and some firearm accessories were discounted 10%, there were no price breaks on firearms or ammo. Was a quick exit for me :roll:
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Bruenor wrote: Not really familiar with Camping world, but they don't appear to be a firearms retailer, and from earlier articles it sounded like GM stocked up on Firearms prior to the last election.
It's been a few years but the Camping World store I have been in and their catalog were zero hunting or firearms. Strictly an RV and RV type camping store/chain.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

In order to successfully sell guns, margins usually have to be kept low. Couple that with the federal regulatory rigmarole, Camping World may dump firearms entirely. It's happened with other chain retailers.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Face

Post by Face »

Curious, but when these liquidators move in - who is the FFL?

MC Sports did the same with liquidators.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Face wrote:Curious, but when these liquidators move in - who is the FFL?

MC Sports did the same with liquidators.

Good question, and it has crossed my mind a few times through the years too.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Retail liquidators are generally like a company within a company. So, old Gander still exists but is managed by the liquidators until Camping World takes.over. Liquidators are paid by old.Gander as.directed by the bankruptcy folks, usually a.cut of.sales and profit. So, the real deals usually don't.occur.until right before Old Gander becomes New Gander unless.New.Gander was able to.impact the liquidator-Old Gander agreement in some fashion.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Looks like a new Name is in store

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/12/gander-m ... -new-name/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lemonis tweeted he plans to rebrand the company as “Gander Outdoors” and will award $25,000 to a follower who creates a new logo.

Lemonis tweets updates daily about the future of Gander Mountain’s 162 locations. More than half remain on the chopping block and the survival of some changes from day to day.

Over the weekend, the company announced a nationwide liquidation sale.

Lemonis, who also owns and operates Camping World, the nation’s largest recreational vehicle dealer, took to Twitter Sunday to reiterate the “going-out-of-business” sale only means Gander Mountain will sell off its current inventory.
Camping World bid $38 million last week for Gander Mountain’s intellectual property, store leases and its Overton’s boating business, all valued at $390 million.

“What we did not buy is the inventory that’s in all the stores, the distribution center,” Lemonis said. “A group of liquidators bought that.”
That was a deal..
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Updated list of stores to remain open
https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/statu ... 5609474048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

The GM here in Charlottesville, VA is gone. (Or to the point of selling the furniture.)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I stopped going to GM years ago, and they have a store less than 10 minutes from me. I went in a few times after the GOOB sales started. Even at 20% off they are over priced. The clothing left isn't in size range of what should be their client base. Neither Central Ohio store is staying for the Camping World Redo...
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

I haven't hear anything on WKBN about the Niles location. They spent some pretty pennies tearing down the old store and building the new one. I'd be ashame to see it sit empty.
NRA life member, Ohio 4-H certified rifle instructor
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Guess this is the final list.
Gander Outdoors said the final list, assuming store leases can be agreed to, includes:

1. Lake Mary, FL
2. Ocala, FL
3. Valdosta, GA
4. Newnan, GA
5. Davenport, IA
6. O’ Fallon, IL
7. Indianapolis (Castleton), IN
8. Ft Wayne, IN
9. Paducah, KY
10. Flint, MI
11. Traverse City, MI
12. Kalamazoo, MI
13. Saginaw, MI
14. Utica, MI
15. Marquette, MI
16. Port Huron, MI
17. Grand Rapids, MI
18. Hermantown (Duluth), MN
19. Forest Lake, MN
20. Lakeville, MN
21. Baxter, MN
22. Bemidji, MN
23. Hattiesburg, MS
24. Chesterfield, MO
25. Fenton, MO
26. Winston-Salem, NC
27. Fayetteville, NC
28. Greensboro, NC
29. Mooresville, NC
30. Cicero (Syracuse), NY
31. Watertown, NY
32. Kingston, NY
33. Tonawanda, NY
34. Plattsburg, NY
35. Canton, OH
36. Niles, OH

37. Williamsport, PA
38. Greensburg, PA
39. York, PA
40. Chambersburg, PA
41. N. Charleston, SC
42. Jackson, TN
43. Spring, TX
44. Tyler, TX
45. Amarillo, TX
46. Ft Worth, TX
47. Lewisville, TX
48. Roanoke, VA
49. Fredericksburg, VA
50. Waukesha, WI
51. Rothschild (Wausau), WI
52. Onalaska, WI
53. Kenosha, WI
54. DeForest (Madison), WI
55. Baraboo, WI
56. Sheboygan, WI
57. Janesville, W
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

At the end of the day, who really cares?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Honestly... that about sums it up. Only the woefully uninformed would ever shop there.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Hoping the new owners will run it differently with more appropriate pricing, the store after all did go under for a reason.
You are correct it was pretty much hopeless under the previous owners. I'm not going to condemn the new owners, at least until the doors are open again.
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson