What's in store for Gander Mountain

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

What's in store for Gander Mountain

Post by Bruenor »

Not looking good for the newly acquired Gander Mt assetts and some insight into why they went belly up

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... d837a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Camping World Chairman and CEO Marcus Lemonis highlighted what he called a barrage of management mistakes from Gander Mountain that he referred to as “stupid.”

The blunt-spoken Lemonis — who stars in "The Profit," a CNBC reality show — said Gander Mountain overspent on inventory and expanded beyond all common sense into markets where they were cannibalizing their own customer base.

Betting big on weapons for the St. Paul, Minn.-based Gander Mountain, which billed itself as "America's Firearm Superstore," wounded the business beyond resurrection, Lemonis said.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Brian D.

Re: What's in store for Gander Mountain

Post by Brian D. »

Friend of mine from Memphis with a keen business acumen refers to such disorganization as "a goat rope". I could cite examples related to their convoluted firearms pricing, but that's not what made me quit going there.

Went in one fall day looking for some winter-worthy boots. Ten or more brands, several models of each. But not even one pair in EE- EEE width. Yes, I asked the department manager so as to verify that. Imbecilic!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Brian D. wrote:Friend of mine from Memphis with a keen business acumen refers to such disorganization as "a goat rope". I could cite examples related to their convoluted firearms pricing, but that's not what made me quit going there.

Went in one fall day looking for some winter-worthy boots. Ten or more brands, several models of each. But not even one pair in EE- EEE width. Yes, I asked the department manager so as to verify that. Imbecilic!
Not a lot of people out there with feet like a musk ox. :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

More of us out there than zero percent though, Steve.

********************************************************************************
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:Friend of mine from Memphis with a keen business acumen refers to such disorganization as "a goat rope". I could cite examples related to their convoluted firearms pricing, but that's not what made me quit going there.

WEll at least you don't need snow shoes...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

So I seem to have both steves 50de and carmen fovozzo trolling me in this thread. Like a pair of boogeymen. Or as they're known on many golf courses, bogey men. Double bogey men, more likely. :lol:

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

carmen fovozzo wrote:

WEll at least you don't need snow shoes...
:lol:
Black Rifles Matter
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

I wear an 11EE, I think they're just jealous Brian.
You know what they say..... :lol:
BuckJM53

Post by BuckJM53 »

While I rarely spend money at the local GM due to their typically high prices on guns and ammo, local news source (WHIO) reported yesterday that the Huber Heights location is slated to remain open. It will be interesting to see if the new ownership makes them more competitive.

http://www.whio.com/business/things-kno ... r1nswtVUL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15" - Ronald Reagan
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BuckJM53 wrote:While I rarely spend money at the local GM due to their typically high prices on guns and ammo, local news source (WHIO) reported yesterday that the Huber Heights location is slated to remain open. It will be interesting to see if the new ownership makes them more competitive.

http://www.whio.com/business/things-kno ... r1nswtVUL/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Coincidentally that's the GM which had no wide shoes and put me off the chain entirely. It's weird, on my very first visit (the one on the west side of Toledo) I found such a great clearance sale on Springfield Armory 1911s, I actually bought two of the same model. Kept one, sold the other for about 80 % of what I'd paid for the pair, which was still a good deal for the pal that bought it off me.

Each visit to GM after that, regardless of location, sale event, etc. were busts.

Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Stopped in the Mentor location last night to check on the closeout sales.. not much of anything marked down more than 10-15% off the high prices. No deals to be found.
There were no markdowns on ammo, which are still at the ridiculous prices they hiked them to back in 2008 at the first ammo panic/shortage. I mean who pays $20.00 for a box of 9mm plinking ammo ?
Didn't bother to look at the firearms.

Apparently the closeout sale is being handled by the liquidation company through May 18th after which point the new owners will take over.

Not really familiar with Camping world, but they don't appear to be a firearms retailer, and from earlier articles it sounded like GM stocked up on Firearms prior to the last election.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Bruenor wrote:Stopped in the Mentor location last night to check on the closeout sales.. not much of anything marked down more than 10-15% off the high prices. No deals to be found.
There were no markdowns on ammo, which are still at the ridiculous prices they hiked them to back in 2008 at the first ammo panic/shortage. I mean who pays $20.00 for a box of 9mm plinking ammo ?

Apparently the closeout sale is being handled by the liquidation company through May 18th after which point the new owners will take over.

Not really familiar with Camping world, but they don't appear to be a firearms retailer, and from earlier articles it sounded like GM stocked up on Firearms prior to the last election.
That's good to hear - maybe when things start getting dumped primers will be going for cheap :)
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

jeep45238 wrote:
Bruenor wrote:Stopped in the Mentor location last night to check on the closeout sales.. not much of anything marked down more than 10-15% off the high prices. No deals to be found.

That's good to hear - maybe when things start getting dumped primers will be going for cheap :)
the Winchester primers were $3.99 / 100 but they had less than 1000 WLR primers on hand. no WSR WSP or WLP.
Before any appreciable discount will be applied the ones they had on hand will be long gone.
Powder prices on their limited 1lb bottle selection were not compelling either.
Μολὼν λαβέ

- Thomas Paine

- Thomas Jefferson
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Price per 100????

Who the heck goes through the effort and equipment to make reloads and buys primers by the 100?
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Gander now and then used to have great prices on certain firearms, as Brian describes above, it made the treasure hunt fun. But most of the guns were high (although they price matched, not sure if that is still so). Flyer sale items (non-gun) were never in stock when I wanted something. After awhile, I stopped making the trip.

And, their gun counter help became more spotty over time. And they used to have a gunsmith, then didn't.

One reason I stopped going was, up around Cleveland, there are now so many more choices than even 10 years ago. And that doesn't include online options.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member