2 Grandkids today

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

2 Grandkids today

Post by Gramps »

Spent some time with 2 of our grandkids out back this afternoon. We ate lunch and I asked if they wanted to shoot a couple of Grandma's pistols. An SR22 and a Phoenix HP22

Glasses/ear protection/basic safety instruction and 300 or so .22 rounds downrange from a 10 year old girl with a little long gun shooting and a fair amount of BB pistol experience and a 14 year old young man with no shooting experience other than video games.

Amazing how well they followed safety instructions and how the groups tightened with my limited instruction experience :D

Think I am going to find an older 22 bolt action with iron sights for us all to play with. I can get a 50 yard range with a great backstop here or drive a couple miles to our club for a sheltered shooting rest area.

Man what a fun afternoon!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
marca

Re: 2 Grandkids today

Post by marca »

Try some CCI "Quiet 22" ammo in a bolt action or lever action rifle. You will be amazed at how quiet it is. This may make backyard much more pleasurable for you and your neighbors.
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

marca wrote:Try some CCI "Quiet 22" ammo in a bolt action or lever action rifle. You will be amazed at how quiet it is. This may make backyard much more pleasurable for you and your neighbors.
I have a remington Model 12 .22 gallery gun. it shoots Shorts, Long and LR. if I load all shorts about 17 of them will fit in the little tube on this rifle. With the CCI CB-Shorts it makes less noise than my air rifle. Length of pull is a bit short for me, but that rifle with those rounds is a TON of fun to shoot. Not to mention the funny looks you get on the range when you aren't making any noise to speak of. :)

Nice suggestion on the quiet rounds, especially for a non semi-auto .22 variant.

Gramps, Thanks for introducing the shooting sports to the next generation. Something we all need to be doing.

A .22 rifle to look at might be the Marlin XT-22TR it is a Tube fed Bolt action .22 that can handle .22 Short, L, and LR. Should be able to find one new for around $200.00 https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/ ... el-xt-22tr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something about the .22 shorts just makes me chuckle when I'm shooting them.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Bruenor wrote:With the CCI CB-Shorts it makes less noise than my air rifle.
A buddy of mine has been looking for CB and BB caps for a long time. Where exactly does one find them? Bass Pro and Cabela's, plus a few smaller stores don't carry them.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

glocksmith wrote:
Bruenor wrote:With the CCI CB-Shorts it makes less noise than my air rifle.
A buddy of mine has been looking for CB and BB caps for a long time. Where exactly does one find them? Bass Pro and Cabela's, plus a few smaller stores don't carry them.
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22-short" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-shor ... c-199.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sure I grabbed some at Cabelas in WV a few years back. some local sporting goods stores have it occasionally as well,I usually see it in the 100 Round plastic sleeve just like the CCI-Mini Mags. I buy a box or two whenever I see them because availability is definitely more sporadic. Also a little more expensive that 22LR because of that whole supply and demand thing.

I snapped up a BRICK of remington CB 22 shorts for pretty cheap at the OGCA at the IX center a couple years back. My only purchase that day.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Bruenor wrote:
marca wrote:Try some CCI "Quiet 22" ammo in a bolt action or lever action rifle. You will be amazed at how quiet it is. This may make backyard much more pleasurable for you and your neighbors.
I have a remington Model 12 .22 gallery gun. it shoots Shorts, Long and LR. if I load all shorts about 17 of them will fit in the little tube on this rifle. With the CCI CB-Shorts it makes less noise than my air rifle. Length of pull is a bit short for me, but that rifle with those rounds is a TON of fun to shoot. Not to mention the funny looks you get on the range when you aren't making any noise to speak of. :)

Nice suggestion on the quiet rounds, especially for a non semi-auto .22 variant.

Gramps, Thanks for introducing the shooting sports to the next generation. Something we all need to be doing.

A .22 rifle to look at might be the Marlin XT-22TR it is a Tube fed Bolt action .22 that can handle .22 Short, L, and LR. Should be able to find one new for around $200.00 https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/ ... el-xt-22tr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Something about the .22 shorts just makes me chuckle when I'm shooting them.
Wish I had an old gallery pump. Can still remember the smell of the powder. Must have shot a few thousand rounds at the amusement park gallery over the years as a kid winning those little carnival knives for ringing the bulls eye (wish I had a few of the knives too)

Not much of an issue with neighbors here and shooting. We all shoot in our area and we own 30 or so acres of mostly big hills, woods with 2 abandoned gravel pits for target practice back stops.

Dad and Grandpa had me hunting rabbits, quail, pheasants and squirrels by 12 years old. Ironically I remember shooting a squirrel out of a big oak tree as a kid that used to stand close to our lane we have now. Dad and I used to hunt here when it was really out in the country! The strange limbed oak died 20 or so years ago and we burned it for heat.

I hope to keep hunting and shooting alive in the family. Our daughter (who hunts) wants me to take our 10 yr old grand daughter to the a hunter safety course and I will if the kid wants too.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

It's been my experience with children and 22 rifles, if you don't have a bolt or lever action available, the quiet 22's will cause most semi autos to act like a bolt action. That is you or the child will have to manually cycle the bolt to chamber a fresh round each time the gun is shot.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

M-Quigley wrote:It's been my experience with children and 22 rifles, if you don't have a bolt or lever action available, the quiet 22's will cause most semi autos to act like a bolt action. That is you or the child will have to manually cycle the bolt to chamber a fresh round each time the gun is shot.
Nephew to the neighbor had that happen when his dad bought him some low velocity 22's. He thought the rifle was broke.. I could have bought a semi auto 22 (not sure what make and model it was) for cheap that day.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

That's a good memory and thank you for sharing it!
Second the notion on the CCI CB caps.
Loudest noise is the striker falling.
First one I ever shot, I stopped, pulled the bolt and ran a rod through the bore, I was sure the pill never left the barrel!
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Thank you!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *