First hand experience with youthful liberals

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

First hand experience with youthful liberals

Post by Ole_grizzly »

I travel a lot for my job, and earlier this week I was in Washingtong D.C. I drove, but obviously not wanting a felony or worse I left behind my normal carry weapon and instead kept a bottle of pepper spray, first checking the DC police department to see if that was legal.

Many people I work with in the medical field come from ivy league colleges or live in the big blue cities. A group I went out to dinner included two lasses, one from DC, the other from Philly. The person from DC and I have extensively talked about politics over the last year or so, and she knows that while I generally identify as conservative, we agree on most of the social issue and she says that if more people talked about firearms the way I do, as well as went to the training I do, she thinks people on her side of the aisle wouldn't be as afraid of them.

After dinner, we went to a cigar lounge that was just a few blocks from our hotels by the convention center. As we were leaving, the other woman from Philly asked the person from DC if it was safe to walk. DC said that it's not a bad area, and I asked, how could you know? We've been inside for an hour and a half, we don't know what's going on outside, and there's no way to truly know. She said because you're here, we have concealed carry. I laughed, and said that the great nation of Washington DC thinks my constitutional right to carry stops once I leave ohio, and that I didn't want a felony, plus we were having drinks and you can't drink and carry. I said I do have my pepper spray though.
Philly had this look that was quite comical. We had just had a wonderful evening, talked about lots of things including touching on firearms, but the thought of me carrying made her uneasy. However, she was the one that asked is it safe outside, but yet didn't have anything to defend herself with.

Not a big point to this post, but someone that even had awareness yet took no steps to have a chance if a situation got ugly. I'll also give these two ladies major credit for spending an hour in a smoky cigar lounge when they don't smoke or like cigars.
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: First hand experience with youthful liberals

Post by Mr. Glock »

She was trained that guns aren't the answer, you just need to take minor precautions. Having put no extra thought into the matter, you saw thr result. Doesnt make her bad or stupid, critical thinking is just not taught in colleges today, more indoctrination to the progressive way.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I had the same experience in reverse once: A couple cigar pals from Chicagoland came for a meet up in northern Kentucky. (I call this area "Cincytucky" by the way.) They started getting sort of smart alec-y about me having a gun along, for part of the first day anyhow. By the third day they'd realized that I'm the guy in the group that DOESN'T get carried away or out of hand in any manner. A few years later when Illinois passed concealed carry, one of them sought me out for gun and gear advice, before plunging in for a license. The other fellow will always be skittish about guns, deep down he doesn't have the right mindset to be self reliant.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Ole_grizzly wrote:I travel a lot for my job, and earlier this week I was in Washingtong D.C. I drove, but obviously not wanting a felony or worse I left behind my normal carry weapon and instead kept a bottle of pepper spray, first checking the DC police department to see if that was legal.

Many people I work with in the medical field come from ivy league colleges or live in the big blue cities. A group I went out to dinner included two lasses, one from DC, the other from Philly. The person from DC and I have extensively talked about politics over the last year or so, and she knows that while I generally identify as conservative, we agree on most of the social issue and she says that if more people talked about firearms the way I do, as well as went to the training I do, she thinks people on her side of the aisle wouldn't be as afraid of them.

After dinner, we went to a cigar lounge that was just a few blocks from our hotels by the convention center. As we were leaving, the other woman from Philly asked the person from DC if it was safe to walk. DC said that it's not a bad area, and I asked, how could you know? We've been inside for an hour and a half, we don't know what's going on outside, and there's no way to truly know. She said because you're here, we have concealed carry. I laughed, and said that the great nation of Washington DC thinks my constitutional right to carry stops once I leave ohio, and that I didn't want a felony, plus we were having drinks and you can't drink and carry. I said I do have my pepper spray though.
Philly had this look that was quite comical. We had just had a wonderful evening, talked about lots of things including touching on firearms, but the thought of me carrying made her uneasy. However, she was the one that asked is it safe outside, but yet didn't have anything to defend herself with.

Not a big point to this post, but someone that even had awareness yet took no steps to have a chance if a situation got ugly. I'll also give these two ladies major credit for spending an hour in a smoky cigar lounge when they don't smoke or like cigars.
Sort of reminds me of a number of years ago when Jeff Garvas debated Toby Hoover in Cleveland, I seem to recall. The venue wasn't in the best part of town and when it was over, She asked Jeff to walk her to her car since he was armed.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand