Voice Recording attn: MWSY

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Voice Recording attn: MWSY

Post by Mustang380gal »

So I am having an issue at work, and a couple of guys here told me to get a voice recorder, so I did.

I wear a t-shirt and scrub bottoms for work, but there are no pockets. I can use scrub jackets that have pockets, but my recorder does not have a lanyard to keep it in the pocket. I am afraid of it falling out.

I do not want to advertise that I have it.

So how do I attach a lanyard that I can clip or pin to the inside of the scrub jacket pocket?
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
glocksmith

Re: Voice Recording attn: MWSY

Post by glocksmith »

Mustang380gal wrote:I do not want to advertise that I have it.
Hopefully they make "record only" gadgets without audio playback...because it would be embarrassing if buttons got squished and the thing began playing back a conversation...I know because something similar happened to me. :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I got the model that MWSY has been telling people to get. I don't think accidental playback has been an issue for those that have them. I need to read the manual carefully to prevent that.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

My wife tucks it under her bra strap in the front, out of sight
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

glocksmith wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:I do not want to advertise that I have it.
Hopefully they make "record only" gadgets without audio playback...because it would be embarrassing if buttons got squished and the thing began playing back a conversation...I know because something similar happened to me. :lol:
Mustang380gal wrote:I got the model that MWSY has been telling people to get. I don't think accidental playback has been an issue for those that have them. I need to read the manual carefully to prevent that.
There is a slider on the left side that locks into a "Hold" position and prevents button presses from doing anything. So, turn it on, press the button to start recording, move slider to Hold, and when done for the day, slide off the Hold position, hit Stop, then download recording.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JustaShooter is correct about the 'Hold' slider. None of the buttons work when the slider is set to 'Hold'.

I would also second Chuck's suggestion as to location, for the scenario you're describing.

Just keep in mind where the microphone is oriented. The lanyard hole on the recorder is on the bottom left corner. The microphone is on the top.

If you hang the recorder from a lanyard, don't let the microphone get covered by too much material or any 'fleshy bits' of your body.

The recorder works okay under a single, thin layer of fabric. Any more than that and you should test it before use.
MyWifeSaidYes
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

That will take some experimenting and practice to get it to stay in a bra strap. Chuck, does she pin it with a lanyard or something? Is it pretty well concealed?
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Would this device fit in an ankle holster? Possibly modified to expose the mic?
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Mustang380gal wrote:That will take some experimenting and practice to get it to stay in a bra strap. Chuck, does she pin it with a lanyard or something? Is it pretty well concealed?

Let me pm you her email
I feel unqualified to discuss this all the sudden :oops:
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Would a retractable badge holder work? You could clip it to your pocket.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Chuck wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:That will take some experimenting and practice to get it to stay in a bra strap. Chuck, does she pin it with a lanyard or something? Is it pretty well concealed?

Let me pm you her email
I feel unqualified to discuss this all the sudden :oops:
Sorry--I didn't mean to embarrass you!!
buckeye43210 wrote:Would a retractable badge holder work? You could clip it to your pocket.
That's a thought! I have a spare, so I just need to get a lanyard.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

MG I'm sure you're far more versed in the rules than I am, but make sure you don't record any HIPAA protected conversations. It would suck to be able to use the recording to solve the immediate issue but then get fired for violating patient confidentiality.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Mustang380gal wrote:
I wear a t-shirt and scrub bottoms for work, but there are no pockets. I can use scrub jackets that have pockets, but my recorder does not have a lanyard to keep it in the pocket. I am afraid of it falling out.

I do not want to advertise that I have it.

So how do I attach a lanyard that I can clip or pin to the inside of the scrub jacket pocket?
Velcro square inside the pocket and the opposite to the device?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

djthomas wrote:MG I'm sure you're far more versed in the rules than I am, but make sure you don't record any HIPAA protected conversations. It would suck to be able to use the recording to solve the immediate issue but then get fired for violating patient confidentiality.
Good point. Need to make sure to turn it on after report, then back off later. I may have to give more thought to how to do this.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Can the device, or another like it, support an external mic? Then the recorder could be carried in your waistband, and the mic wire clipped to a bra strap.

I recorded an uneasy conversation like that a couple of times. I wore a patterned shirt to help conceal the mic wire and taped it to my side above the level a table, then pressed record on the elevator ride up to the office.

Mine was a micro-cassette recorder, but the idea might still apply.