Amazon Prime??

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Amazon Prime??

Post by Mustang380gal »

I have never had any problem with Prime's shipping. If they say it will arrive in 2 days, it always has. But, I just got a delay notice for an order that is due to arrive today. That's the first time that happened, and I have had prime for 3 years or so. The package is supposed to come by mail, so I am not sure if the delay is Amazon's, or the USPS. Since it was shipped on Saturday, and there was a federal holiday on Monday, I thought Tuesday may have been optimistic.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
robbo

Post by robbo »

I have Prime and use it for music, and shopping. I have another source for movies/tv shows called Kodi through my pc .....
Lot of good info, seems like everyone has it covered except for maybe SLING TV.https://www.sling.com/ Its the only 'live' online service I know of that provides ESPN. For $20 a month you can download an app and watch it anyplace with WiFi. BUT, you need decent internet connection and speed or you might run into issues streaming live programming. I use to have it, worked great for me, but my internet 'special' was up and I had to sign up for another provider and got a package deal for tv/internet bundled so I cancelled the SLING TV.
I believe AT&T has a similar streaming service, but its not available in my area.

* Edit- looks like this SLING service has multiple package offers since I've had it. Now it even has the NFL Network

Really depends on your situation, wants, needs....I needed internet, the cable tv I could care less about, but for the price its included. Hope this helps. good luck
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

WhyNot wrote:I thought A Prime 2 day shipping was only for Amazon fulfilled items? And if this is so, is there ANY type of accomodation for the 3rd party sellers re: shipping

Been thinking about A Prime but I don't stream vids. Would only b interested in the quicker ship and picture storage. Any added info i.e. 1st person experiences is appreciated thanks!
Everyone else I know seems to have no issues with the 2 day Prime delivery, some even getting deliveries on Saturday and Sunday. for whatever reason I can order a prime item on Wednesday and will NEVER get a Friday delivery date, rather they tell me the following Tuesday. I have to place all my orders on Monday or tuesday if I want them delivered the same week. not sure what the issue is I guess This wheel needs to be a bit squeakier and call them out on their delivery shenanigans. My neighbors don't experience this delay with A Prime, so I don't know why my house is in a delivery time warp.

For third party items not fulfilled by Amazon you would have to pay the 2 day delivery charge. I don't think there's any way around that,
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Playstation Vue is much like sling, and does have ESPN. It has multiple packages.

channel line up
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
robbo

Post by robbo »

Mustang380gal wrote:Playstation Vue is much like sling, and does have ESPN. It has multiple packages.

channel line up
Thanks! I forgot about Sony having their online streaming service. I think we will see more and more streaming options becoming available, then we will see internet prices go up, be capped, or be limited and pay for overages like cell phone services.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

sparky43040 wrote:Thanks for all the replies....Here's what I got. I live in an area with free "open" wifi,,,I guess like at McDonalds.
So I got Netflex and started watching movies on my HP Mini,,,no problem...So I buy a 28" smart TV.
Could NOT figure out how to "hook"it up to use the wifi..got several other people involved, called support....was told it CAN'T be done.
So I bought a refurbished HP Laptop and now have a bigger screen.
I also tried something similar to the Firestik...it wont work either.
Just looking for a way to watch OSU & Dallas football.
Thanks John
Free wi-fi? Is it supplied by a homeowner's association or similar? Always be cautious with that: Dangers of free wifi. That said, there are many articles and videos out there on connecting a smart tv to wifi. What is the brand/model #? Here is a LINK to SLING. 7 day free trial, give it a shot.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

I have Amazon Prime and mostly use it for the free two day shipping. They also have a decent book lending service for Prime members. You'll need another service if you want to watch ESPN.

My wife and I are evaluating AT&T's new streaming service called Directv Now. They will give you a free Apple TV if you pre-pay for three months in advance. The current sweet spot for their service is an introductory offer of 100+ channels for $35 a month, but that offer is going away on January 9th. Due to it being a new service, we have occasionally experience some technical difficulties.

About 90% of what we watch is available for free on our local stations. We use Tablo to record and watch the local programming, and get over 30 channels with a homemade Grey Hoverman antenna. I built mine before Danny made his video, but I figure if Danny can do it, most of us can too :-)
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Lately, I've been buying a lot of stuff from Amazon, mostly photographic equipment. Whenever possible I go Prime for the free shipping.

I don't watch any content on it, because I don't watch that much TV, and most of that is on the history and science channels. I haven't seen a movie in the theater since "John Carter of Mars". Most of their content is of no interest to me.

I do buy digital music from them, especially things that I've found hard to obtain in the past. I recently downloaded the "In Like Flint" soundtrack, which was not available in its entirety. I listen to Music Match on Cox Cable, and will download songs I hear there from Prime.

All in all, I'd say that I've been extremely satisfied with Prime.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Face

Post by Face »

I've been a Prime user for 3-4 years, as a lot of others said, I hate shopping... It;s also great for those hard to find things, small electronic goodies, etc.

Recommend the Smile program. It will automatically donate a portion of your orders to your selected charity.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/about/ ... b_aas_saas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. I have our Amazon account tied through Smile to Revolutionary War Veterans Association (aka Appleseed).
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

buckeye43210 wrote:About 90% of what we watch is available for free on our local stations. We use Tablo to record and watch the local programming, and get over 30 channels with a homemade Grey Hoverman antenna. I built mine before Danny made his video, but I figure if Danny can do it, most of us can too :-)
This Tablo is interesting! I to would like to cut the cable (DISH). But hate that I can't record off OTA. And about a HD antenna, they are not necessary if you still have your old UHF/VHF antennas on a tower.
Do you subscribe or get by with the basic?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Cruiser wrote:
buckeye43210 wrote:About 90% of what we watch is available for free on our local stations. We use Tablo to record and watch the local programming, and get over 30 channels with a homemade Grey Hoverman antenna. I built mine before Danny made his video, but I figure if Danny can do it, most of us can too :-)
This Tablo is interesting! I to would like to cut the cable (DISH). But hate that I can't record off OTA. And about a HD antenna, they are not necessary if you still have your old UHF/VHF antennas on a tower.
You can record OTA, I have a Homeworx media player/tuner between my attic antenna and TV. You can record to a USB thumb drive, 3.5" or 2.5" USB hard drives. I have not used that function, but it is there.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Cruiser wrote:
I am still subscribing to their guide data on a month-to-month basis. They offer a lifetime subscription for $150, but that is the same price as a lifetime Plex pass...

Tablo is an integrated solution, but another solution is to invest in one of the newer HDHomerun tuners and use it in conjunction with the new Plex DVR software.

There're Plex and Tablo apps for your Amazon Fire TV box.
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

techmike wrote:
Cruiser wrote:
You can record OTA, I have a Homeworx media player/tuner between my attic antenna and TV. You can record to a USB thumb drive, 3.5" or 2.5" USB hard drives. I have not used that function, but it is there.
I played around with the Homeworx media player, but there were some limitations like it only using limited over the air guide data and a drifting internal clock.
Beekeeper

Post by Beekeeper »

I've had it the past three years, and buy most of my stuff off Amazon. The US Postal Service lost a package last week, and Amazon promptly replaced it with no charges this week. I had another order that was supposed to come on the 3rd, and the the Postal Service hasn't delivered it yet either... Most of my shipments come on time unless the USPS has it, and then it could be a week or more. It's ridiculous, but there's nothing I can do. UPS is always on time, and FEDEX is too most of the time.
When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour.
.George Washington