Would you like to have a Gov. 1911A1?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Would you like to have a Gov. 1911A1?

Post by AlanM »

ANNISTON, Ala. —An east Alabama congressman has a plan to save taxpayers money when it comes to storing vintage firearms for the Army.

Rogers proposes CMP take control of old Army pistols
The plan involves moving the weapons to the Civilian Marksmanship Program, which includes its facility in Anniston.

Congressman Rogers says it's a win-win because the pistols are placed in very capable hands at the Civilian Marksmanship Program and it also saves taxpayers roughly $200,000 per year.

The M1911A1 pistol was once the standard sidearm for U.S. armed forces. Rogers says a little over 8,000 of the 100,000 pistols were sold to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small price. The rest are in storage.

The CMP will inspect, grade, and prepare the pistols to be sold. It will also reimburse the Army for any costs associated with moving the firearms.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Would you like to have a Gov. 1911A1?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

A fine idea.

If it happens, I wonder what the pricing will be?
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I read elsewhere that Congress and the CMP will have to override a presidential executive order prohibiting this very thing. I don't think that's even possible is it?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

Brian D. wrote:I read elsewhere that Congress and the CMP will have to override a presidential executive order prohibiting this very thing. I don't think that's even possible is it?
Not sure if it's possible, but if there truly are checks and balances, then I'd think there'd have to be a way. However, I'm almost positive that a different president could.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

If by some miracle this comes to pass, I'll drive there day one and get one. I am not going to miss the boat on this like I did with Garands. :cry:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
lairdstew

Post by lairdstew »

You can still get Garands from the CMP. There are service grades at the Camp Perry store right now or you can mail order one. And if you are worried about qualifying your Ohio CHL and membership in a gun club or you can join the garand collectors club online for $25 will do.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

As an Appleseed instructor, the training and membership requirements were never an issue. It was the money. :?

Didn't realize they had gotten more in. Last I looked was a few years back and all they had were the higher priced grades.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Curzyk wrote:
Brian D. wrote:I read elsewhere that Congress and the CMP will have to override a presidential executive order prohibiting this very thing. I don't think that's even possible is it?
Not sure if it's possible, but if there truly are checks and balances, then I'd think there'd have to be a way. However, I'm almost positive that a different president could.

Let us recall the Korean M1 Garand and M1 Carbine issue a few years back....lots of "blood running in the street" fear mongering from the Administration. These are actually pistols vs old rifles too, so the hype would be even greater.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

A new avenue to put tons of not-drop-safe guns in civilians' hands. Hurray.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I'd be pleasantly surprised if there was a veto override by Congress, but I don't think the R's have the heart nor the stomach for such a fight.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Need one? No, actually I don't.

If the price was right, I'd still buy one. It will go well with my Garand.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:A new avenue to put tons of not-drop-safe guns in civilians' hands. Hurray.
Well that doesn't seem like very good reason to block the release of 1911A1's. Tons and tons and tons of Curio & Relic eligible guns already out there with the same issue to some degree or other.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:A new avenue to put tons of not-drop-safe guns in civilians' hands. Hurray.
I've got THREE similar "not-drop-safe" guns and not ONE of them has EVER fired a SINGLE round without my first pulling the trigger.

But then I've never mistaken an M1911 for a basketball and tried to dribble it...
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Quite ironic that you, with a screen name of "DontTreadOnMe" would say that...
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

^^^ Ouch.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB