Tunnel Rat aka Tom McNaughton has passed away (Discussion)

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AlanM

Re: Tunnel Rat aka Tom McNaughton has passed away (Discussio

Post by AlanM »

I remember talking to Tom at this picnic.
RIP Tom. You will be remembered.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I first met Tom a long time back: Decided to take a road trip to the first ever (best I recollect) OFCC regional meet up that our members ever put together. It was held in Toledo at the Frisch's on Secor Road. We had been seated in a separate area and folks drifted in and just sort of found each other due to being dressed similarly or however it is that CHL'ers seem to be able to recognize each other. (I understand that concept WAY better now, than back at the time of this soiree.)

Anyhow, a smaller statured, well dressed, very quiet older gent came and sat in "our" section but stayed off by himself. Somehow I just KNEW he was wanting to join us, so I walked over, offered my hand, gave my name, and asked if he wasn't looking to hang out with the other "heeled" folks. He shook my hand and immediately joined us. As Tom explained to me later he was just getting a feel for what we were saying and how we were acting before coming over. In retrospect I've come to better understand that as being an important part of situational awareness, and "reading the room" also means reading the people IN the room.

After that night, he was always about the first person to welcome any and all newbies who came to the shindigs held from then on forward. And if I'd had to pick a guy for that job, it sure would have been Tom.

Like others here he would send me the occasional PM rebuking me for dropping a bit of PG-13 or R-rated language here on the forums. He believed that we shouldn't post things on here that we'd be ashamed to have our kids or grandmothers read. I will say he gave me some latitude if I was picking on let's say ODOT or an elected city/state official who was crossing the line with regards to improving gun rights. But not TOO much latitude.

Tom, thanks for all you did for our cause. And keeping me from veering too (dang) far off the straight and narrow.

And thanks for starting this thread, gang, I wanted to do it but was on the road the last few hours.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

RIP Tom.
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Like Alan, I met Tom at that particular PITP too. And I ribbed him a bit about being a small one here and there on the forum. Good guy, will be missed.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

From stories I heard about "Tunnel Rats" a .45 was all they took with them in the tunnels! R.I.P. Tom.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Words don't seem sufficient but I'll try.

He was superb. I hope that when I go the people who I regularly rebuked will miss me as much as I miss him. He was a fine example of a man.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Copied both my TunnelRat stories over to this thread:
NavyChief wrote:My favorite TunnelRat story...
Like many - if not most - combat vet’s Tom never went into a lot of detail about his time in-country. Nonetheless, he did allow as all of his time was spent far, far to the north of that little divided republic. At one point he and his platoon were getting what for them was practically R&R at an FOB. Some REMF ran into the young Captain and commented that was the furthest forward he’d been. Tom (and I can almost hear his booming voice) replied, “Really sir? This is furthest to the rear I’ve been…”
NavyChief wrote:Another TunnelRat story...

Four years ago at the Rochester Fun 'n' Gun he bought a Glock G20 off me. In anticipation of said deal, he'd brought a lot of 10mm "range stuff" along with a few boxes of DoubleTap. Now those that have shot at Rochester know the stages are pretty much right next to each other (no ¼-mile trek between 'em like at TDI) and Tom happened to be on the squad adjacent to mine.

So there we were later in the day, hearing "Bang. Bangbang. Bang." Some "Powpowpow. Pow." Even the occasional "Pewpewpew." I guess Tom ran out of the "range stuff," 'cause suddenly from the stage next to us we hear, "BOOM! BOOMBOOM!! BOOM!" The whole range went quiet for a few seconds...

May you now have rest Tom, from the faces you once told me you saw every night.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

My neighborhood will have one less hero here, a very rare person around here.

I do believe I had said hello to him at a few gatherings. I obviously have interacted with him here on the form. Always seemed very fair and reasonable.

There are no words, I hope that he will indeed find a permanent peace.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

I sold him a Stevens shotgun a while back. He was a very friendly and gracious person to meet and I was very impressed by him. I am truly sorry to hear that he has passed. Rest in peace.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

This forum has always been a great place to get to know some fine people and like-minded fellow Ohioans. When I first "met" Tunnel Rat here in the forums you could tell that he was someone you would like to know. We met in-person at an open carry walk in the Toledo area years ago. The whole bunch of us wound up at a restaurant where I had the pleasure of having breakfast with Pops Fun and PGWP. I made it a point to meet Tom that day and say hello. He's the real deal. He added a certain intangible authenticity to a gun guy forum. He has probably the coolest avatar at OFCC of all time.

Another time, I was spoken to as well, regarding the appropriate use of exclamations in the forum. I never did it again.

I would have liked to know Tom better, but it sure was great to meet him a few times, and exchange thoughts with him here over the years. He was a great Ohioan and will be remembered by all of us who had the pleasure to know him. I can only imagine him shaking hands with Jeff Kirchner, coupe66, and any other OFCC'ers in heaven who are pleased to meet him there.
The British are going! The British are going!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

I didn't know Tom well, but I enjoyed the few conversations we had. Too many of my Viet Nam brothers are starting to go, but I guess we're getting to that time in life. He will be sorely missed.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rainmaker
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rainmaker »

Sad to hear this. It was awesome to have him as a part of our lives here. He will be greatly missed. May God comfort his family in their loss.
Steve
NRA member (long, long time)
NMLRA member (even longer)
OFCC member, BFA member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I am very sorry to read of his passing. RIP.

I've never had the pleasure of interacting with him in-person, but based on the few words that were exchanged here, I definitely would have liked to at last have shaken his hand.

Godspeed.

ETA - his obit is epic. :) I could not help but smile. My cousin wrote/recited something similar for his father who passed away this past weekend, and if those few sentences reflected the jovial nature by which these two men spent their time here, I'm sure they're both chuckling upstairs. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Muad

Post by Muad »

Rest in peace brother.

I had the pleasure of meeting Tom a few years ago for a trade. He was very pleasant to deal with, and I enjoyed the short time we spent together when we met up.

I still have the item that I picked up from him.

Prayers out to his family and close friends.
Will C. / ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Double3

Post by Double3 »

Dealt with Tom a couple times, once online and the other we met up.

Very nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.

RIP Tom.