Robotic-vacuum maker, BU team up on antisniper device

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Robotic-vacuum maker, BU team up on antisniper device

Post by TunnelRat »

The Boston Globe wrote:Robotic-vacuum maker, BU team up on antisniper device

By Hiawatha Bray, Globe Staff | October 4, 2005

IRobot Corp. of Burlington, famous for its robotic vacuum cleaners, has teamed up with researchers at Boston University to develop a military robot capable of spotting enemy snipers.

''You'll actually see the sniper before the smoke disappears from the shot," said Joe Dyer, iRobot's executive vice president and general manager.

IRobot demonstrated the system, called REDOWL (for Robot Enhanced Detection Outpost with Lasers), at the Association of the United States Army convention in Washington yesterday. Testers struck pieces of metal to simulate gunshots. REDOWL quickly aimed its infrared camera and laser rangefinder at the source of the noise, just as it did in tests at a Medfield gun range.

REDOWL is based on iRobot's PackBot, a battery-powered lightweight robot already in active service with the armed forces. PackBots are used to explore dangerous terrain or enter buildings to search for booby traps.
More at:
http://tinyurl.com/cs8dh
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Johnny45

Post by Johnny45 »

Now all they have to do is attach a targeting laser and a long range full auto firearm and bye bye sniper. I would bet robots almost never miss. :shock:
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for, then there must be nothing in your life worth living for.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Heck, I saw a show on the military channel not too long ago about military robots. I guess they have one already that can blast the {inappropriate language} outta targets. Seems like a platform like that would be useful for all kinds of applications.

Our military is famous for using robots....we've been out front in that technology for years. One of the ships I was on routinely launched, and recovered, drone aircraft.

How 'bout that diaperhead they took out not to long ago with an armed drone???? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....those stoneage arseholes never knew what hit 'em.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jeffindex/C ... eshigh.wmv

The only thing I can't figure is why they didn't waste his buddies in the parking garage....you know...the monkeys doing all the howling.
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

You might find this video interesting. Supposedly it's 50 Cal sniper rifle vs Taliban. I don't know if it's authentic.

Taliban Target Practice
Colt 45...it works every time
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

Colt

from what I understand that isn't real, guess the only one that really knows is who took the film

but there are alot of real movies, pictures on this site

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/default.asp
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

And Petrovich.....

that Hadji with the RPG was taken out with an M249...from a squad of Marines

I like the guy standing on the sidelines thinking I can get that RPG... :lol:

if you slow it down and make it full screen

you can see the rounds hit his turban holder
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

just realized you guys didn't have the whole clip of the guy with the RPG...after he gets hit, it shows a few guys (his buddies?) standing on the side of the road....

I will look for the full clip, I have it a long with alot of other good stuff.... :shock:

Regulator 2
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Colt45 wrote:You might find this video interesting. Supposedly it's 50 Cal sniper rifle vs Taliban. I don't know if it's authentic.

Taliban Target Practice
That reminded me of those prairie dog hunting videos..hahahahahahahahahah.

Offhand I'd say that pretty authentic. The terrain fits, the delay between the shot and the hit fits. Those look like human body parts flying all over the place.

Well, it does take some imagination to think they're human body parts. Maybe they were mountain goats?? It is obvious that something made out of flesh, blood and hide is getting blown up.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I didn't look at the video due to the slow dialup time here. Is it of folks building a rocket launcher in the dark? Shows them drive up in a truck? The entire thing is in IR grey scale?. That one is real boys. They were shot from close to a mile away with a 50 cal chain driven gun from a helo. I got to see that as part of an IR class I took before the video was basically available for anyone to see. The trainer had done a SEAL class the week before us and got the video from them.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:I didn't look at the video due to the slow dialup time here. Is it of folks building a rocket launcher in the dark? Shows them drive up in a truck? The entire thing is in IR grey scale?. That one is real boys. They were shot from close to a mile away with a 50 cal chain driven gun from a helo. I got to see that as part of an IR class I took before the video was basically available for anyone to see. The trainer had done a SEAL class the week before us and got the video from them.
I saw the video you are talking about. This one is different. It's in broad daylight and up in the mountains. They are definately hitting SOMETHING and blowing the ol' red mist if you get my drift. It's just too hard to tell if they are human targets or some kind of wild critter. Goats or something along that line.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Thanks. Yeah the one I saw is not very graphic until you learn to read IR pretty well. Then you know what you are seeing and your brain translates it to color. It's pretty ugly no matter who is getting the white blown out of them. The armed forces use a different end of the IR wave than we do but they are not looking for a few degree heat rise. Supposedly there are new Ghilie suits that help fool IR. I'd like to learn a little about those. I'm just an IR nut I guess?? To me it's "hot". ( pun intended ) 8)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Colt45 wrote:You might find this video interesting. Supposedly it's 50 Cal sniper rifle vs Taliban. I don't know if it's authentic.

Taliban Target Practice
Someone on another forum--apparently "in the know"--opined that these were not Taliban, but rather the domestic equivalent of "Varmint Cong". Rockchucks in other words.
Blip!