Failure to control

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bearkitty

Re: Failure to control

Post by bearkitty »

My 2 pennies as a licensed insurance agent:

Leave the MC with Progressive and see what they do at renewal. I would not try to add it to your AAA policy anytime soon as that may trigger AAA to run your record, in which case it will catch up to you on the Auto policy as well.

FWIW, I keep mine separate like that too. Google motorcycle insurance and you'll find plenty of companies that will do a stand-alone MC policy if/when Progressive takes action.

I did a lot of work with Wood County Insurance Agency a few years ago and give them a big thumbs up. Stacy Insurance out of Findlay is very good too.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
mreising

Post by mreising »

I don't like Progressive, their politics (more appropriately, the founder's politics) in the past have been...well, let's just say their name is a clue. He was/is one of George Soro's buddies.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

mreising wrote:I don't like Progressive, their politics (more appropriately, the founder's politics) in the past have been...well, let's just say their name is a clue. He was/is one of George Soro's buddies.
For what it's worth their corporate headquarters facility parking lots are posted with some of the largest GB signs I've ever seen. But if you want to smoke a joint on the premises they won't think any less of you.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

weakhand luke wrote:"Had a streak of bad luck the past month and I'm getting a little annoyed."

Look at it this way. Now you get a brand new bike. And you didn't sail thru the barbed wire on the other side of the ditch.

You're lucky.
Liability only and it's an '82 KZ650 bobber. I'll be rebuilding it out of my own wallet.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.
Rand Paul 2016
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

If you are not going to get a lawyer I would go with not guilty and hop the arresting officer does not show up and the case gets dropped.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Why wouldn't AAA tow your bike for you?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
mreising

Post by mreising »

troy bilt wrote:If you are not going to get a lawyer I would go with not guilty and hop the arresting officer does not show up and the case gets dropped.
That is always a reasonable possibility. Your first plea will probably be considered an arraignment if the officer doesn't show, it will probably be continued. If the officer doesn't show then, they should drop the charge. It is vacation time so it is possible the officer won't make it.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

mreising wrote:That is always a reasonable possibility. Your first plea will probably be considered an arraignment if the officer doesn't show, it will probably be continued. If the officer doesn't show then, they should drop the charge. It is vacation time so it is possible the officer won't make it.
The officer will never show to the first hearing because he will not be subpoenaed until a trial has been set. The first hearing is the arraignment. The only way to shortcut this is to plead guilty or no contest at arraignment. In that case you will be sentenced immediately.

The other thing to consider is that if you go plead not guilty at arraignment 9 times out of 10 you will have an opportunity to talk to a prosecutor that day and try to work something out.
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

Show up a bit early for your arraignment. Explain what happened to the prosecutor/law director. Ask about traffic diversion. Be polite.

If they offer diversion, you can probably take a class and at least get the ticket off your record.

You may be able to get it dismissed since there is no victim.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Plead not guilty. No prosecutors whatsoever were in yet for some reason, so I was rescheduled for the 26th. Hopefully then I'll be able to actually talk to one.

Meh. Buys some time and saves some money for a couple weeks at least...
Rand Paul 2016
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Javelin Man wrote:Why wouldn't AAA tow your bike for you?
Something about only covering RVs or something in the case of wreck, etc. I didn't know about that.

Perhaps near the end of the year I should break down about 4 days in a row and get my money's worth of tows back.
Rand Paul 2016
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

AAA hauled my motorcycle after a wreck for me, just recently, about July. 1982. :oops: The guy at the lot said he never saw anybody come pick up their motorcycle themselves and definitely not on the same day. Of course, the hospital scrubs looked way cooler than black leather. 8)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
QuackXP

Post by QuackXP »

I had almost the exact same thing happen when I lived in Ohio. Except I was knocked out and broke my shoulder in two places and my wrist. I went away semi conscious in an ambulance.

The officer came to the hospital tried to talk to me and issued a citation. I was basically high on morphine and don't recall what I said to him.

I went to court and was all set to plead not guilty and try and fight it myself. I know not a great idea, i know now to get a lawyer. But the guy ahead of me had the exact same accident but in a car pleaded no contest and the judge through it out. So I decided to roll the dice and did the same and since I didnt do any damage to anyone else he threw it out. YMMV

I was impressed that the judge before starting court lectured for about 45 minutes about the process and what all the plea's mean. He did mention to NEVER EVER plead guilty. Even if you just want to pay the fine and move on. A non-contest plea will basically do the same thing but you will not be admitting guilt that could be used against you in a civil case.

Other threads like this have come up from accidents to speeding and if the few hundred dollars now will not hurt you for a lawyer it will probably save you time and money down the road.
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
phillip

Post by phillip »

Must have been a deer run out in the road that you swerved to avoid. Actually happens quite frequently in WC. I am sure you were shook up and forgot to mention that to the deputy.

My understanding:

In OH, if you crash attempting to MISS hitting it (& don't hit it), you get a failure to control ticket.

In OH, if you crash after HITTING it, you get NO failure to control ticket.

Friend crashed on Rt 35 freeway after the group had just come off riding on back wheel thru downtown Dayton on I-75; cop was mad as hell he could not give him a ticket cause the guy insisted he hit a dog that ran in front of him. "where's the dog?" he was asked, "it ran away." NO ticket.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

phillip wrote:Must have been a deer run out in the road that you swerved to avoid. Actually happens quite frequently in WC. I am sure you were shook up and forgot to mention that to the deputy.

My understanding:

In OH, if you crash attempting to MISS hitting it (& don't hit it), you get a failure to control ticket.

In OH, if you crash after HITTING it, you get NO failure to control ticket.

Friend crashed on Rt 35 freeway after the group had just come off riding on back wheel thru downtown Dayton on I-75; cop was mad as hell he could not give him a ticket cause the guy insisted he hit a dog that ran in front of him. "where's the dog?" he was asked, "it ran away." NO ticket.
I was headed to work a couple years ago and saw a car swerve to miss a deer and he rolled it right in front of me. Ended up in the ditch. He didn't hit the deer. I stopped because I knew he would be cited. Gave him my info and said if OSHP gave him any grief to give them my name as a witness. I had to drive on to work. Never got a call so I assume they didn't even bother trying to cite him.

My wife hit a deer about three years back. Did quite a bit of damage to the front left quarter. She didn't stop as it was about four miles to the house. I called OSHP for a report after she got home. Again no issue at all they didn't cite her. Its all relative to what the responding officer is feeling like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA