The end of cheap electricity.

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: The end of cheap electricity.

Post by Tourist »

Mike,

Trees contribute O2 during the day and produce CO2 at night. :wink:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Tourist wrote:Mike,

Trees contribute O2 during the day and produce CO2 at night. :wink:
That's why I became a lawyer and not a biologist.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Ignorant me wants to know how does Oslammer do this with out Congress ?
Two words...Executive Order....also known as the most widely abused presidential power. If it wasn't done that way, then it was done with the abuse of the government giving other entities the ability to pass and enforce law. Essentially the same way the post office is allowed to post no guns. If they wanted, they could post "NO HYBRIDS" for their parking lot and it would be 100% enforceable by the feds.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:Ignorant me wants to know how does Oslammer do this with out Congress ?
Two words...Executive Order....also known as the most widely abused presidential power. If it wasn't done that way, then it was done with the abuse of the government giving other entities the ability to pass and enforce law. Essentially the same way the post office is allowed to post no guns. If they wanted, they could post "NO HYBRIDS" for their parking lot and it would be 100% enforceable by the feds.
Actually, executive order has nothing to do with either of these. Both are regulations implemented by federal agencies as authorized by Congress. The problem with the Post Office reg is that it seems to contradict the federal statute and seems to extend beyond the scope of authorization. If you have a lot of money you don't need, you could bring a lawsuit to see if you could get it overturned, but you would have to take it to the Supremes.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
mreising

Post by mreising »

schmieg wrote: If you have a lot of money you don't need, you could bring a lawsuit to see if you could get it overturned, but you would have to take it to the Supremes.
Do you think $640 million would cover it?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

mreising wrote:
schmieg wrote: If you have a lot of money you don't need, you could bring a lawsuit to see if you could get it overturned, but you would have to take it to the Supremes.
Most of it anyway.
-- Mike

mreising

Post by mreising »

schmieg wrote:
mreising wrote:
Most of it anyway.
Just think of the havoc one could cause after winning that kind lotto payoff. That's half of a presidential campaign. :)
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

mreising wrote:Just think of the havoc one could cause after winning that kind lotto payoff. That's half of a presidential campaign. :)
Not after federal and state taxes. And, remember, that's over 20 years. The lump sum payout would be closer to half that.

Still, I wouldn't turn it down, but I didn't buy a ticket, so I can't complain about not winning it.
-- Mike

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

schmieg wrote:
mreising wrote:Just think of the havoc one could cause after winning that kind lotto payoff. That's half of a presidential campaign. :)
Not after federal and state taxes. And, remember, that's over 20 years. The lump sum payout would be closer to half that.

Still, I wouldn't turn it down, but I didn't buy a ticket, so I can't complain about not winning it.
Not sure if it's still true, but an old rule of thumb I had is a tax payout after taxes was about 1/3 the amount of the jackpot. Never have had to worry about it though! Maybe see if I couldn't cause a shortage of ammo for the DHS if i did?! Of course it would just be the bullets 'cause I prefer 10mm to .40 Short & Wimpy!
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Kgolf31

Post by Kgolf31 »

Does no one realize that Ohio itself turned down a brand new coal-plant and replaced it with 91 2-MW wind turbines?

It's the age of clean energy...Disagree or not, it's the way society is moving towards
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

And this is why I don't buy lottery tickets. I don't want this to happen to me.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46915119/ns ... eird_news/
-- Mike

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Kgolf31 wrote:Does no one realize that Ohio itself turned down a brand new coal-plant and replaced it with 91 2-MW wind turbines?

It's the age of clean energy...Disagree or not, it's the way society is moving towards
So when we have tornadoes and hurricanes we have electricity. Any other time I have to pull my hamsters out and get them running to nowhere. :lol:

And FYI...it's not the way society is moving, it's the way this government is moving. Obama himself said he'd like to see $8/gallon gas as it would force people to finally change to accept alternative sources. I don't recall seeing millions saying we need clean energy, I think overall most would support it IF it were efficient.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

dl1911 wrote:
schmieg wrote:

Not sure if it's still true, but an old rule of thumb I had is a tax payout after taxes was about 1/3 the amount of the jackpot. Never have had to worry about it though! Maybe see if I couldn't cause a shortage of ammo for the DHS if i did?! Of course it would just be the bullets 'cause I prefer 10mm to .40 Short & Wimpy!
Figure 35% federal tax, then state tax on top of that which varies by state. I think New York's top rate is over 10%. Ohio's top rate is 7.5% if I recall correctly. Don't worry about the marginal rate with that amount of money as the vast majority of it would be in the top category. Then, there may be local taxes in some parts of the country that would take a bite as well. I heard one news story about New Hampshire having a $22 million shortfall in its budget this year and if a single winner was from that state, the state taxes would take care of the shortfall and provide several additonal million for the politicians to spend unwisely.
-- Mike

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Kgolf31 wrote:Does no one realize that Ohio itself turned down a brand new coal-plant and replaced it with 91 2-MW wind turbines?

So when we have tornadoes and hurricanes we have electricity. Any other time I have to pull my hamsters out and get them running to nowhere. :lol:

And FYI...it's not the way society is moving, it's the way this government is moving. Obama himself said he'd like to see $8/gallon gas as it would force people to finally change to accept alternative sources. I don't recall seeing millions saying we need clean energy, I think overall most would support it IF it were efficient.
In fairness, I'm with an electrical supplier that produces electrictiy from windfarms and it seems to be working quite well, and my rates are lower than what Duke Power is charging. But, it has been a windy year. I'd like to see alternative energy technology develop, but we aren't anywhere near the point in that technology where we should be thinking of doing away with traditional power sources. The new technolgies (wind and solar and whatever else they can come up with) need to become much more dependable and efficient before we can rely upon them.
-- Mike

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

schmieg wrote:In fairness, I'm with an electrical supplier that produces electrictiy from windfarms and it seems to be working quite well, and my rates are lower than what Duke Power is charging. But, it has been a windy year. I'd like to see alternative energy technology develop, but we aren't anywhere near the point in that technology where we should be thinking of doing away with traditional power sources. The new technolgies (wind and solar and whatever else they can come up with) need to become much more dependable and efficient before we can rely upon them.
Ultimately one day when I build a house I plan on going solar on the roof and maybe some wind on the property too. I'll take anything else I can get, I just wish it was more efficient. Heck, in 2009 the government bailout gave half a billion to a solar company that went bankrupt. If half a billion couldn't keep a company alive and able to research quite a bit, not sure how much more will need to for them to be a worthy investment in the next 10, maybe 20 years. I figure half a billion could pay for some good research and some good marketing to at least get the current products out there. Instead, goodbye money.