What do you drive?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Oldfire

Re: What do you drive?

Post by Oldfire »

2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. This has been my travel vehicle. Multiple Florida trips, 2 to Death Valley NP, plus a month this year from Colorado to northern Montana (Glacier NP) and back to SW Ohio.

2015 Jeep JK Rubicon. Slightly modified for trail riding.
Darkness

Post by Darkness »

scottb wrote:I drive a 2006 Infiniti G35. Not worth a whole lot as old as it is, but it is a really fun car to drive. I'm not sure that I will ever give it up.
Your G35 would smoke my smog-choked vette! They look like a good time. I was checking them out before I got the vette.
It was not fair, it was not fair, it was not fair. So cried his child's heart, and then his child's heart died a little. For that is also the way of the world.
Michael

Post by Michael »

My daily driver is a 2002 Saturn with 252K miles on it. :)
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Darkness - I seriously doubt that. V8 vs. V6. I would lay my money on the vette.

Scott
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

scottb wrote:Darkness - I seriously doubt that. V8 vs. V6. I would lay my money on the vette.

Scott
A stock, carberated/smog-era V8 isn't all that ballsey. The 2000 Dodge 3.5 HO v6(multi port fuel injected/DOCH) impressed me (on par with a Cadillac Northstar V8 of siimilar vintage) and would have easily blown the doors of some carberated V8s I'm familiar with - growing up in the 80s.. I'd guess that the Vette suspension would win easily hands down on some curves with an MFI 350.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Agreed that a modern multi port fuel injected engine is leap years ahead of carburated smog engines. The V6 vs V8 thing these days is often a pretty even match.....the mfg have always been careful to typically not build a v6 equipped vehicle that will smoke the v8 version. But again with modern tech the limitation is in software that can be modified ;-).

My daily driver is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double cab 4wd with V6. Prior was 2004 silverado 4.8 V8 4wd 4 door. The Tacoma knocks out 21mpg without fail, the Silverado was good for 15-16mpg.

I have been logging fuel use since day one on the Taco, last fillup I had close to 6,000 miles on the odo and it had used 143 gallons less fuel than the Silverado would have. Playing now with NOT using cruise, the last tank I did not use cruise control hardly at all, and hauled a new 56" tall toolbox about 50 miles to work, and still that tank of gas ended up 22.47mpg :-).

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

Daily driver; 99 Subaru Forester, SC, rust free car w/240,000 and Winterforce tires :D

Spare; 93 Buick Riv.

MC; 77 H-D shovelhead

Project [since 85 :lol: ]; 73 Ford Grand Torino Fastback 351C w/425hp

ALL paid for :wink:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

willbird wrote:Agreed that a modern multi port fuel injected engine is leap years ahead of carburated smog engines. The V6 vs V8 thing these days is often a pretty even match.....the mfg have always been careful to typically not build a v6 equipped vehicle that will smoke the v8 version. But again with modern tech the limitation is in software that can be modified ;-).

My daily driver is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double cab 4wd with V6. Prior was 2004 silverado 4.8 V8 4wd 4 door. The Tacoma knocks out 21mpg without fail, the Silverado was good for 15-16mpg.

I have been logging fuel use since day one on the Taco, last fillup I had close to 6,000 miles on the odo and it had used 143 gallons less fuel than the Silverado would have. Playing now with NOT using cruise, the last tank I did not use cruise control hardly at all, and hauled a new 56" tall toolbox about 50 miles to work, and still that tank of gas ended up 22.47mpg :-).

Bill
You are correct about the newer V6's. My Grand Cherokee with the 3.7 liter V6 has more power than my old 78 Bronco which had the 352 ci V8.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Modern small-displacement turbos/superchargers are pretty scary. I rented a 2017 Audi A8L with the tiny-for-its-size 3-liter supercharged-6 when I was in TX a few months ago, and that sucker is a 4,500 lb. luxury sedan that digs a less than 6 second sprint to 60. :shock: The 4-liter will shave a second off that time.

No matter which way it's cut (big-displacement, small displacement, turbo, naturally aspirated, hybrid, electric, etc.), as someone who loves cars, I really think that we're living in a Golden Age these days.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

TSiWRX wrote:Modern small-displacement turbos/superchargers are pretty scary. I rented a 2017 Audi A8L with the tiny-for-its-size 3-liter supercharged-6 when I was in TX a few months ago, and that sucker is a 4,500 lb. luxury sedan that digs a less than 6 second sprint to 60. :shock: The 4-liter will shave a second off that time.
You got that right Allen it will get away from you. :mrgreen:
My new truck has the bigger 6cyl 3.5L twin turbo & there is no trouble getting out of the way.
Also get 20mpg city haven't had it on a lengthy road trip yet to verify the highway mpg but would guess 25 is in the ballpark.
BOB
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

ESAFO wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:Modern small-displacement turbos/superchargers are pretty scary. I rented a 2017 Audi A8L with the tiny-for-its-size 3-liter supercharged-6 when I was in TX a few months ago, and that sucker is a 4,500 lb. luxury sedan that digs a less than 6 second sprint to 60. :shock: The 4-liter will shave a second off that time.
You got that right Allen it will get away from you. :mrgreen:
My new truck has the bigger 6cyl 3.5L twin turbo & there is no trouble getting out of the way.
Also get 20mpg city haven't had it on a lengthy road trip yet to verify the highway mpg but would guess 25 is in the ballpark.
I regularly got 25 mph on my Grand Cherokee until I put knobby off-road tires on it and removed the front air dam in favor of a steel lower front guard which increased drag. Now, I only get about 22 on the highway.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

Newer 4&6 cylinder Turbo engines are very impressive. Power to weight ratio is a big factor also.
I was surprised by a Subaru WRX 2.5l Turbo, 05 I think, AWD, low center of gravity.
VERY fun to drive, handles like a Porsche !!

Still it's hard to substitute cubic inches, you want muscle...V8 or V10 (Viper).
Back in 06-08? working at a Chrysler dealer (technician). The SRT 8, 6.1l Hemi was quick in Chargers and Callengers.
But the Jeep Grand Cherokee was geared lower and AWD.... HOLY CRAP !! :shock:
And the Viper, new Vettes, Cobras.....Hang on 8)

Diesel trucks have came a long way too. Way better than even 10 years ago.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Notasmiff wrote: Still it's hard to substitute cubic inches....
There really is no replacement - yet - for displacement. Slapping a turbo or two on a bigger engine is always more fun than doing the same to a smaller one.

Well, maybe with the new generation of battery packs and motors....

But I like my internal combustion. :P
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

schmieg wrote:
willbird wrote:Agreed that a modern multi port fuel injected engine is leap years ahead of carburated smog engines. The V6 vs V8 thing these days is often a pretty even match.....the mfg have always been careful to typically not build a v6 equipped vehicle that will smoke the v8 version. But again with modern tech the limitation is in software that can be modified ;-).

Bill
You are correct about the newer V6's. My Grand Cherokee with the 3.7 liter V6 has more power than my old 78 Bronco which had the 352 ci V8.
Here is the taco :-)
A 3.5-liter V6 comes standard in Tacoma TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, Limited, and TRD Pro models. It is optional in the SR and SR5 models. This engine, delivering 278 horsepower and 265 pound-feet of torque, is paired with a standard six-speed automatic transmission. A six-speed manual transmission is available in select models. Its EPA-rating of 19 mpg city/24 mpg highway is also average for the class.

0-60 6.8 seconds, 1/4 mile 15.2 seconds @ 91.6 mph
4,095 lbs
And my 1985 camaro I had that came with 305 4 barrel
1985 F-Body LG4 305: 9.5:1 155 HP @4200 RPM, 245 ft/lb @2000 RPM (Q-Jet 4bbl)
1985 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta 0-60 10.0 seconds 1/4 mile 17.0 seconds
MPG 15 city 20 highway
Around 3400 lbs
Boils down to the heavier 2017 4WD taco being a near match for a 1985 IROC Z camaro :-)
1985 Camaro Iroc-Z 0-60 6.9 seconds 1/4 mile 14.7 seconds @ 96.6 mph
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Currently we have in the garage a 2016 Silverado Double Cab 2LT 5.3L V8 4x4 (absolutely love the truck, just wish I had the $$ to get the 6.2) and a 2016 Chevy Malibu 1LT (good car for the wife and all the audio and cruise control's work just like my truck so I don't get confused when driving the car)... I'm in their is no replacement for displacement crowd however, a turbo comes close... The Malibu has a 1.5L turbo and it does almost as well as the N/A Mazda6 we used to have with a 2.5L.. When it comes to trucks, I can't get behind a turbo 6cyl sorry, trucks should have V8's it's clearly stated in the old testament....
-Aaron