Seriously considering getting into trucking

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Seriously considering getting into trucking

Post by D-Day »

I'm well aware of the cons already. Been researching this for a while...I hadn't seriously done my homework in the past, and thought a CDL school/mill at the tune of $4k for tuition was my only option to pursue that kind of job. Lacking that kind of money, I always moved on to more tangible avenues of employment.

Bottom line, some companies will train you straight out. I have a particular one picked out I want to try if I can get on with them after the new year. Is the pay great? No, not really. But a job is a job, and I'd do it. Make some money, see new places, see beautiful women...well, make some money anyway. Cough.

It's a decent thing for a person of my type, lack of formal education and all (no college) to pursue, because a CDL endorsement (as was as possible TWIC, HAZMAT, etc. additions) can provide you some potential job security. What makes this even more appealing are the driving jobs in Texas and North Dakota for the oil fields...what I'm lacking is experience though. So I figure do a stint with a starter company, and after that time is up, if the oil fields are still kicking, or whatever the next big thing is...pursue it. Even if it's not, there are smaller/local companies who pay a bit better and it's still decent enough to live comfortably on.

The biggest drawback I see to it would be not being able to carry. Going all the places in the country where I'd especially want it, and not being allowed to. Oh well. Sometimes sacrifices must be made.

My ideal theory is to get my foot in the door in this industry, stepping stone to something better (such as oil fields), work long and hard for a time, save up and try to retire young. I don't want to be in a dead end job all my life not being able to try my hand at the other things in life that I really want to do, such as a dream or hobbies; which takes start-up money...and I'll work hard to do it.

I have a decent headstart with no debt, no car payments, no kids, etc. My only addiction is nicotine, and maybe I could kick that too at some point. Although rolling my own, a carton or more for $10...gonna need some motivation on that front.

Not sure if you could count guns, gasoline, old cars, and every other little hobby of mine an addiction per se...
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.
Rand Paul 2016
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Seriously considering getting into trucking

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

My company encourages everyone to get their Class A's. Will pay for their Temp and then allow them to use the truck and drag to take the test. I personally don't have them as I do enough already and its one more thing I would be expected to do. It would be nice to be able to haul to the house equipment which I get to use free as a perk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
BobK

Post by BobK »

PM sent
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

One major problem would be you're either stuck with the company paying your tuition, or pay $4k+ outright for a school. I think that kind of money is absurd. Hell, at that price, you might as well buy an old truck and practice yourself! If I had the truck I'd just practice and take the test flat out through the state, no ridiculous tuition costs. Even if you do get a CDL, most places won't even hire you because, you guessed it, no experience and no school. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a bad idea. Or just bite the bullet (or a can of them) and go through a school. Hmm...always a snag somewhere...
Rand Paul 2016
hkuspclem40

Post by hkuspclem40 »

D-Day wrote:One major problem would be you're either stuck with the company paying your tuition, or pay $4k+ outright for a school. I think that kind of money is absurd. Hell, at that price, you might as well buy an old truck and practice yourself! If I had the truck I'd just practice and take the test flat out through the state, no ridiculous tuition costs. There's gotta be a feasible way around this...
Willard and Canton are two idependent testing locations (among others, I would guess) for the state that you can rent a truck and trailer to take the test. Rent the single axle dump with auto trans and beaver trailer to get your Class A. Having something to practice with before is another issue.

Example ----> Canton

Pre Trip, Pre Trip, Pre Trip......it sinks our guys more often than the driving. Speak-up, point to items, and make sure THEY are paying attention when you do your walk around test.

Buckle your seat belt, keep both hands on the wheel at all times, let them see you check your mirrors frequently while driving, pay attention to signs you pass (it's common for them to ask "What did the sign we just passed say?").

There's more to it than that, obviously, but those are common issues.

It's a money maker. Not sure about the independent testing locations but the State ones WANT to fail you so you have to come back and pay again for the portion you tanked. I heard Willard is fair (that's where we go now) and I heard good things about Canton a few years back. I went to Seville and know first hand that it....... :evil:
NRA Life Member
scriz

Post by scriz »

US Xpress has a recruiting station and school in Medway, OH. Once you're hired you're in for free, but you must work for them for a pre-specified period of time before your cost is reimbursed.
mrjam2jab

Post by mrjam2jab »

scriz wrote:US Xpress has a recruiting station and school in Medway, OH. Once you're hired you're in for free, but you must work for them for a pre-specified period of time before your cost is reimbursed.

Werner does also...and I believe Schneider too.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Schneider requires a driving school-acquired CDL or OTR experience beforehand. I'd love to work for them, or Watkins & Shepard. Werner kinda scares me, to be honest. Haven't done enough research on US Xpress yet.
Rand Paul 2016
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Schneider is a rough outfit to work for.

My younger son drove OTR for an Allied Van Lines outfit for 8 years. He worked hard and made good money but it was a difficult job.

Good luck.

Ken
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

A relative of mine lost his cubicle job in the corporate world and decided to do something different. He went to the driving school and immediately was signed on with a smaller company (Roehl). After a year there, he was hired on at a large corporation. I think he's happy with the way everything turned out. I'd encourage you to follow through with it...in these times, I think it offers really good job security. The only drawback I can see is that you may have to take a long-haul job to get your foot in the door....before you can apply for a M-F job with a place like FedEx. If being away from home for two weeks at a time aren't a problem, then I'd say go for it.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Not that I can give advise on a CDL, but I was cruising the channels last weekend and watched an episode of American Trucker that was on taking the classes and taking the state test. It was CA but sounds like, from poster above who knows OH, they are similar tests.... Show was very specific about pre-test etc and Probably worth watching in the stage you are in now.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Right then, looking around, calling around, etc. WIA seems like an iffy option. Long process, lots of hoops, not sure I'd even qualify. I'm not keen on the idea of government assistance anyway. Assistance asschmistance! I don't need no steenkin' government help.

Now another option, which could be potentially hazardous, would be applying for a credit card, specifically for the purpose of school...not saying it's a great idea, or even likely, but another one on the drawing board at the moment.
Rand Paul 2016
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

I really can not offer any constructive advice, but I will remind you of one old adage.
If it has tires or [deleted--m380g] on it, you're going to have trouble. :lol

Trucking is a tough job, but there seems to be a demand for professional drivers. Good luck.
HancockCountyHaL
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

HancockCountyHAl wrote: Trucking is a tough job, but there seems to be a demand for professional drivers.
Because it is a rough job, especially OTR. By the time my son had 4 years in for Allied, he was one of the "long term employees".

Ken
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Heh. I didn't realize how close my change coincided with this original post. Came close to it years ago, but went into machining instead due to a local opportunity.

It was in November I quit my job and did the CDL school thing since I had the money I could do it myself. Now I have almost all my endorsements, TWIC card, and waiting on HAZMAT approval to come back so I can add that to my license, the last one I lack.

I liked my job, but as far as advancement I pretty much topped out due to the company's lack of wanting to expand or do more, I was kind of forced to make a change. With a mortgage and wanting to do more with my hobbies (of which there are many, and seemingly expensive), I had to do something. So back to the CDL idea, which I've done.

Now the real task has begun as of last month - applying, applying, applying. Experience requirements have gotten considerably low in trucking, but even a few months experience to a year required is still something I lack. Horrible time of year as well, let me tell you. End of year, new year, inventorying, taxes, new quarter, lot of changes for companies I suspect 'causing slow or little to no response...being a rookie doesn't help either.

I've damn near reached burn out status researching companies again like I did years ago for the one least likely to screw you over. Trying to find a good company willing to take a chance on you for a decent wage is making me question whether trying this out was a good idea or not. Not a light decision by any means and one I mulled over almost a full year to leave my current job to pursue.
Rand Paul 2016