Michigan bills would allow residents to fatally shoot intrud

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Michigan bills would allow residents to fatally shoot intrud

Post by TunnelRat »

Michigan bills would allow residents to fatally shoot intruders

People who kill someone breaking into their home or vehicle would not be prosecuted.

LANSING -- Michigan residents could fatally shoot someone who breaks into their home or vehicle without facing criminal or civil prosecution under proposed legislation.

The two-bill package, which is opposed by anti-gun violence groups, would assume that a person who forcibly enters or intrudes in a home or occupied vehicle intends to kill or hurt the owner or occupant. It is patterned after a law signed earlier this year in Florida.

The bills, introduced Wednesday, also would eliminate the requirement that people who are being attacked have to retreat before responding, as long as they're in a place they legally have a right to be.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/politics/05 ... 308998.htm

Well, it's a start, anyhow....
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

I'm diggin' that.
AmericanGunner

Re: Michigan bills would allow residents to fatally shoot in

Post by AmericanGunner »

tommcnaughton wrote:
Michigan bills would allow residents to fatally shoot intruders

People who kill someone breaking into their home or vehicle would not be prosecuted.

LANSING -- Michigan residents could fatally shoot someone who breaks into their home or vehicle without facing criminal or civil prosecution under proposed legislation.

The two-bill package, which is opposed by anti-gun violence groups, would assume that a person who forcibly enters or intrudes in a home or occupied vehicle intends to kill or hurt the owner or occupant. It is patterned after a law signed earlier this year in Florida.

The bills, introduced Wednesday, also would eliminate the requirement that people who are being attacked have to retreat before responding, as long as they're in a place they legally have a right to be.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/politics/05 ... 308998.htm

Well, it's a start, anyhow....
I would love to see our state adopt such a law.
Hermangotshisguns
Illegal Duplicate User

Post by Hermangotshisguns »

Its coming..It may take 2 or 3 years but it is coming.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You know it took Florida better than 15 years to get this kind of legislation :(
Never Have So Many Owed So Much To So Few.
Hermangotshisguns
Illegal Duplicate User

Wayne wrote:You know it took Florida better than 15 years to get this kind of legislation :(
Yes, but FLA has a couple of grassroots organizations working in the state?
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Hermangotshisguns wrote:
Wayne wrote:You know it took Florida better than 15 years to get this kind of legislation :(
You'd better believe it! Marion Hammer, who used to be the President or some other sort of big shot in the NRA is from Florida.

It was the direct result of grassroots organization that Florida was among the first states to allow "shall issue" concealed carry licenses.

The current state of grassroots organization in Ohio doesn't begin to compare with what Florida had in place several decades ago.

During the 1994 election when we won the House of Representatives back for the Republicans after the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons ban, I was the NRA volunteer election coordinator for northwest Ohio. I quickly learned that, although there is a lot of talk and a lot of opinions, there are very few actual volunteers and very little practical organization amongst firearms enthusiasts.

What OFCC has done has been very helpful and impressive. PRO, down in Columbus, has had some effect also. But we are woefully behind Florida gunowners when it comes to organization.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
toddhill

Post by toddhill »

tommcnaughton wrote:
Hermangotshisguns wrote:
You'd better believe it! Marion Hammer, who used to be the President or some other sort of big shot in the NRA is from Florida.

It was the direct result of grassroots organization that Florida was among the first states to allow "shall issue" concealed carry licenses.

The current state of grassroots organization in Ohio doesn't begin to compare with what Florida had in place several decades ago.

During the 1994 election when we won the House of Representatives back for the Republicans after the Brady Bill and Assault Weapons ban, I was the NRA volunteer election coordinator for northwest Ohio. I quickly learned that, although there is a lot of talk and a lot of opinions, there are very few actual volunteers and very little practical organization amongst firearms enthusiasts.

What OFCC has done has been very helpful and impressive. PRO, down in Columbus, has had some effect also. But we are woefully behind Florida gunowners when it comes to organization.
You betcha' Tom. Ohio needs a few more things to move gun rights forward... people who do more than just post messages, organizations that are not afraid of being politically correct to stand up to "The Man", and an open line of communication between the different gun advocate groups.

Shrug... but what do I know :roll:
Hermangotshisguns
Illegal Duplicate User

You betcha' Tom. Ohio needs a few more things to move gun rights forward... people who do more than just post messages, organizations that are not afraid of being politically correct to stand up to "The Man", and an open line of communication between the different gun advocate groups.

Shrug... but what do I know :roll:
I agree with Todd. You need to write letters and make phone calls when it comes time to support what your after. I have already done that. Who's next?
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

I'm not going to hold my breath here, anymore than I am for Taft to step down. If he did, I might have some hope.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter