Anyone know an excellent rifle smith?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Willy P

Anyone know an excellent rifle smith?

Post by Willy P »

I'm looking to have a rifle rebarreled and would like a carbon tension barrel done. Anyone know of someone doing that? I am looking at contacting Christensens but I'm afraid they want to do the whole rifle, lock stock and bbl. I'm thinking something in 25 wssm or 270 wsm.
TIA,
Pat C.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Anyone know an excellent rifle smith?

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:I'm looking to have a rifle rebarreled and would like a carbon tension barrel done. Anyone know of someone doing that? I am looking at contacting Christensens but I'm afraid they want to do the whole rifle, lock stock and bbl. I'm thinking something in 25 wssm or 270 wsm.
TIA,
Pat C.
What kind of action and what is carbon tension?
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

P4G the rifle is currently a 22-250 Ruger 77V short action so I need to check specs on the 25, I honestly think the 270 won't fit the bolt face but I don't know. I used to have several sites that spec'ed cartridges but they are now defunked! A carbon tension barrel is a cut down SS barrel that is wrapped with carbon fiber to strengthen and stablize it. Christensen Arms will do a rebarrel for 995. I would need to redo the stock myself after I got it all back. What I want is a Plains game rifle for antelope and if it has enough horse power to 500yds ( approx. 700 ft lbs. @ 500yd ) I would use it for mule deer also. I can always drop back and use my 06 if I get an elk trip together.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:P4G the rifle is currently a 22-250 Ruger 77V short action so I need to check specs on the 25, I honestly think the 270 won't fit the bolt face but I don't know. I used to have several sites that spec'ed cartridges but they are now defunked! A carbon tension barrel is a cut down SS barrel that is wrapped with carbon fiber to strengthen and stablize it. Christensen Arms will do a rebarrel for 995. I would need to redo the stock myself after I got it all back. What I want is a Plains game rifle for antelope and if it has enough horse power to 500yds ( approx. 700 ft lbs. @ 500yd ) I would use it for mule deer also. I can always drop back and use my 06 if I get an elk trip together.
Sounds like a nice plan and I am sure the result would be an excellent rifle.

Trouble is.....that's gonna be EXPENSIVE. At least it sound expensive.

Buy a yugo mauser and strip it down to the action. Go online and find a guy who rebarrels them. I knew a guy in Kentucky by the name of George Stringer who does EXCELLENT rebarreling. Sadly, poor George's health failed and he is no longer in business. I have another guy in mind and I'll try to find his contact info if you want it.

You'll want him to rebarrel the action. Taper the blank or better yet buy a blank with the taper you want already cut. Finish reaming the chamber. True up the action which is basically squaring off both shoulders and running a tap down the threads to make sure they are perfectly square. Face the bolt....get it jewelled too while yer at it.:D Bend the bolt handle or install a new one and reforge the bolt. Drill tap and install a scope rail. Get a one piece rail....I like leupold bases and the one piece design adds stability to the action.

You should be able to get the work done for about 200 bucks including the blank. I don't know about the carbon thingy though.

When you get the barreled action back you can easily do the rest.

Again you buy a pretty laminated stock, finishes and various odds and ends (sporting bolt shroud to replace that ugly military one), a drop in trigger with safety...etc.....you'll have nearly 500 bucks in it and a LOT of time.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

P4G go look at christensenarms.com and see what these things are. At 49 I can't hump a ton of weight around in the 1 to 2 miles high atmosphere of the mountains like I used to. Getting the rifle I have rebarreled by them is about a third of the cost of a totally new rifle from them. I can wind up with a 26 inch barreled rifle at about 6 pounds.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Willy P wrote:P4G go look at christensenarms.com and see what these things are. At 49 I can't hump a ton of weight around in the 1 to 2 miles high atmosphere of the mountains like I used to. Getting the rifle I have rebarreled by them is about a third of the cost of a totally new rifle from them. I can wind up with a 26 inch barreled rifle at about 6 pounds.
I sure can't beat that. A Mauser is gonna weigh more.

I just love my Mausers....