Forced evacuation

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Forced evacuation

Post by Daniel »

This should be a lively topic.

From a Reuters article:
Police threatened to force reluctant Hurricane Katrina survivors to leave a ruined and fetid New Orleans on Wednesday as a political storm grew over the botched response to the disaster that some say could cost $150 billion.
But as in many aspects of the rescue effort, there was confusion about whether the government could or would force people from their homes.

"We personally will not force anyone out of their homes," said Art Jones, a senior official in the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. "It's very difficult to force an American out of their home."

State and local police, however, said force would be used if necessary.

"We'll do everything it takes to make this city safe. These people don't understand they're putting themselves in harm's way," said New Orleans Police Superintendent P. Edwin Compass.
Questions:
1) Should the police forcibly remove people, or leave them?
2) What rights do you have to refuse the attempt to forcibly remove you?
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
AmericanGunner

Post by AmericanGunner »

1) Leave them.

2) I wish I knew :(
Colt45

Post by Colt45 »

Here's my 10 point solution for New Orleans.

1) Evacuate it completely.
2) Rebuild the sea-walls just enough to drain the city and let it dry out.
3) Let people in to salvage what belongings they can.
4) Send in salvage crews to gut the place and get anything of value that can be used or recycled. Glass, steel, copper wire, electronics, aluminum, plastic, anything.
5) Once it's an empty husk, evacuate it again.
6) Carpet bomb the area. Completely level it. No Scratch that...make it a big crater.
7) Napalm it to disinfect the place.
8) Destroy the sea-wall and allow the ocean to go where it wants to naturally.
9) Rebuild the city and port on the new coastline that will be (wait for it..) ABOVE SEA LEVEL.
10) Don't let the French build anymore of our cities.
Colt 45...it works every time
Redhorse

Post by Redhorse »

:) Hey Colt45.....I like yer thinkin! :wink:
Freedom isn't free!
ballistic

Forced Evacuation

Post by ballistic »

From my limited research it appears only the Louisiana governor has the right to declare marshal law, which she has so far refused to do. In the absence of such a declaration the local police legally can't bodily remove someone from their own property against their own will. Of course if Louisiana is a "home rule" state like ours then all bets are off. But frankly I find this whole situation incredible. If a person at this point wants to remain in their home half-flooded with sewage, excrement and god-knows-what laden water then I say "Forgeddaboudit."
AmericanGunner

Post by AmericanGunner »

Of course if Louisiana is a "home rule" state like ours
Could you explain home rule?
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Colt45 wrote:Here's my 10 point solution for New Orleans.

1) Evacuate it completely.
2) Rebuild the sea-walls just enough to drain the city and let it dry out.
3) Let people in to salvage what belongings they can.
4) Send in salvage crews to gut the place and get anything of value that can be used or recycled. Glass, steel, copper wire, electronics, aluminum, plastic, anything.
5) Once it's an empty husk, evacuate it again.
6) Carpet bomb the area. Completely level it. No Scratch that...make it a big crater.
7) Napalm it to disinfect the place.
8) Destroy the sea-wall and allow the ocean to go where it wants to naturally.
9) Rebuild the city and port on the new coastline that will be (wait for it..) ABOVE SEA LEVEL.
10) Don't let the French build anymore of our cities.
That's a darn good idea.

I hated to see innocent people's lives so severely disrupted but I gotta say it.

New Orleans was a giant toilet waiting to be flushed.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

I somewhat agree with colt, but the way I see it, we shoulda never pumped the water out and instead of dumping 15 ton bags of sand we should just dropped 15 ton bags of Quickrete and just made a big freaking skate park outta the place, let the ocean go where it wants is exactly right.

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

OldManTod wrote:... let the ocean go where it wants is exactly right.
Where does an 800 lb. gorilla sit? Anywhere he wants to!

Where does the ocean go...?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
ballistic

Forced Evacuation

Post by ballistic »

AmericanGunner wrote:
Of course if Louisiana is a "home rule" state like ours
Could you explain home rule?
Read Ken Hanson's article in the current issue of "OFCC News."
THE BIG HAMMER

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

OldManTod wrote:I somewhat agree with colt, but the way I see it, we shoulda never pumped the water out and instead of dumping 15 ton bags of sand we should just dropped 15 ton bags of Quickrete and just made a big freaking skate park outta the place, let the ocean go where it wants is exactly right. T
Holy Crap! Where is your compassion? You sound like an eeeeevvvilll conservative. Is there a Nawlins (fill in the sh** hole) concrete charity I can donate to?
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER
Regulator2

Post by Regulator2 »

I have another one PFG

once is completely evacuated....
bulldoze everything flatten it.....
bring in a bunch of fill dirt raise above sea level
relocate homes to a different area
since is going to be a waste site anyway because of the toxicity of the remains....build about 5 new refineries on top of the raised bed, encapsulated with a huge flood wall

everyone gets their new homes
we get more refining capacity where would have been a waste site
and New Orleans becomes the Oil Capital they should have...having better port access than Houston
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on thier behalf --George Orwell

Regulator 2
518th Gun Truck Co, OIF Vet
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

THE BIG HAMMER wrote:
OldManTod wrote:I somewhat agree with colt, but the way I see it, we shoulda never pumped the water out and instead of dumping 15 ton bags of sand we should just dropped 15 ton bags of Quickrete and just made a big freaking skate park outta the place, let the ocean go where it wants is exactly right. T
Holy Crap! Where is your compassion? You sound like an eeeeevvvilll conservative. Is there a Nawlins (fill in the sh** hole) concrete charity I can donate to?
My compassion is to all the skateboarders out there who are outcast and have nowhere to skate.. Call Tony Hawk and Bam Margera, tell them we are making a skatepark the size of ... well... Louisana!! (I just pi$$ed myself laughing so hard at that one)...

Just think of it, summer camps in the Louisana skate park, courtesy of Hurricane Katrina..

It's funny how firearms have brought together a collection of smart@$$es this size... :)

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

OldManTod wrote:
It's funny how firearms have brought together a collection of smart@$$es this size... :)
:lol:

Edited to fix formatting. - Cable
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

OldManTod wrote:It's funny how firearms have brought together a collection of smart@$$es this size... :)
I dunno, I suppose that would depend on what size smart@$$ you're used to... 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.