OhioCCW Forums Changes

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: WHY?

Post by evan price »

There's a difference between a bunch of folks hanging out and a gathering with a political purpose.

The only thing OFCC is concerned about is that some folks get upset- perhaps rightfully so!- and decide to take it upon themselves to get together a group of people and go have an impromptu open-carry walk somewhere. There's more that goes on behind the scenes of the OC walks than a bunch of people showing up OC'ing. Typically we want to have a purpose and a goal of what we want this to achieve, be it citizen education, media publicity, or protesting an illegal LEO decision. We want to be able to work with the people affected to make a positive impact. We don't want to be seen as a bunch of cranks with guns that get riled up anytime a deputy sheriff disarms a legal OC'er during a Terry stop.

It is important that OFCC and our organization's members put forward a united face to the world. If it appears we can't even control our members we go from a respected and legitimate organization to a disorganized rabble in the eyes of the legislators. OFCC has worked long and hard for nearly ten years to get us to where we are now -let's not throw away what we've built.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: OhioCCW Forums Changes

Post by Mustang380gal »

I take it the locked threads in the National section are that way because they are not specifically firearm related. Right?

Can something like the Wisconsin situation be discussed in Jeff Kirchner's Corner, or is that something that you all would like avoided altogether? I will miss it if more broad politics can't be discussed at all. Guys here have often given me perspective I couldn't see, and helped ease concerns. But, I'll manage. :mrgreen:

It looks good. It will take getting used to, but I usually use the "show new posts" feature, so it shouldn't take too long to acclimate. The introduce yourself section is a great idea.

Thanks for all your hard work.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Vex

Post by Vex »

I think the changes make sense.

To the naysayers, I state this: Many organizations with similar intentions have come and gone, but OFCC remains and becomes stronger. I think the leadership here presents a perfect example of how to run a goal oriented organization, and much more importantly, to succeed in that endeavor. Personally, I've never tried to run a grass-roots organization such as this, much less a successful one, so who am I to question the decisions? Ask yourself that question before you immediately reject the changes.

In the end, OFCC is about activism for expanding legal gun ownership and protecting the rights of all legal gun owners. The forum here is a very small part of the organization, but it's probably the most visible and public face. Every discussion here impacts public opinion, and we've even had threads detailing how the forums have reflected negatively on OFCC as a whole.

IOW, if you just want to complain about government injustice or post wild-eyed conspiracy theories, there are other more receptive places on the internet to do so within organizations that welcome such discussion. Personally, and purely as example, the less posts by a certain NFL fan, the better for OFCC.

Keep up the good work.
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
mropencarry

Post by mropencarry »

The organization of impromptu open carry gatherings on OhioCCW Forums must be submitted and approved by Ohioans For Concealed Carry.
I'm trying to get past the nanny-state feel of this, but it's your board. What does one submit for approval?
gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gilly32 »

Mustang380gal wrote:I take it the locked threads in the National section are that way because they are not specifically firearm related. Right?

Can something like the Wisconsin situation be discussed in Jeff Kirchner's Corner, or is that something that you all would like avoided altogether? I will miss it if more broad politics can't be discussed at all. Guys here have often given me perspective I couldn't see...
I agree with Mustang380gal. I sure hope we can continue to discuss current events, political or otherwise, in Kirchner's Korner. There are many members here whose opinions and perspectives are very enlightening.
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
daddy

Post by daddy »

When open carry walks / events are coordinated on our forums it is easily presumed by the casual visitor that OFCC has sanctioned, approved, and/or formally been involved in these activities. The same perception can be made by the private property owner or government entity where a open carry walk is coordinated, leaving the organization in a position it did not choose to enter into or may have coordinated differently than those done by the community on a whim.
So are all events banned from the forum or only ones in response to a specific incident?

Take for example the Licking County Open Carry Club who meets on a regular (once a month) basis, can they still post?

I get the feeling that OFCC does not approve of the knee jerk reactions that some have after a specific incident, so I assume the people who have regular scheduled meetings can still post about them?

Or is it a broad censorship of all meetings?

Clarification on this would be helpful.
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Daddy - The Butcher
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

The fact is that THIS organization is not an organization of Conservatives or Republicans. We are apolitical as we work to further the cause of gun rights. We have supporters on both sides of the political aisle. In addition, as Vex pointed out, there are other outlets for people who would like to discuss political issues that are not directly related to firearms rights.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

evan price wrote:There's a difference between a bunch of folks hanging out and a gathering with a political purpose.
Yep, which ones are the bad people?
evan price wrote: We don't want to be seen as a bunch of cranks with guns that get riled up anytime a deputy sheriff disarms a legal OC'er during a Terry stop.
Ok so just let them keep doing it then? I know that's not exactly what you mean but it could easily be taken that way. Fact is people show up for a peaceful protest it gets the word out a little quicker.
evan price wrote:If it appears we can't even control our members we go from a respected and legitimate organization to a disorganized rabble in the eyes of the legislators. OFCC has worked long and hard for nearly ten years to get us to where we are now -let's not throw away what we've built.
I'll recharge the batteries on my shock collar so I can be controlled a little better next week.
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
daddy

Post by daddy »

jamie9mm wrote:
evan price wrote:If it appears we can't even control our members we go from a respected and legitimate organization to a disorganized rabble in the eyes of the legislators. OFCC has worked long and hard for nearly ten years to get us to where we are now -let's not throw away what we've built.
I'll recharge the batteries on my shock collar so I can be controlled a little better next week.
Quote of the day right there. :P
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Daddy - The Butcher
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Actually, PRIOR to these changes we were "out of touch." We were being pulled into being something we have never been...a primarily political organization. Our focus is, was, and will be firearms rights...period. As an organization, we cannot be distracted by other things...no matter how interested some members are. Members joined these forums because of the work we have done--the focus we have had--on firearms rights. No one came to these forums because of our stance on Obama's legitimacy, Eqyption revolutuion, or SB 5? Why, because we have no official stance on these issues. Of course, individually, members of the leadership have opinions o these issues but we cannot be distracted by those things organizationally.

If you want this organization to do the work that we were created for, then these changes should make sense.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

This has been my favorite and most useful board, where I spend most of my online time and where I have learned the most. Yes, much of it directly Ohio CCW oriented but also a reasonable place to keep in touch with other related or semi related topics.

As far as I know, I've never been censored for anything I've posted.

Now, with the rules changing and a strict environment, the board and organization will become less useful and attractive, especially for participating in the threads. I almost expect these comments to be moderated. So be it. I try to be reasonable but if I have to fear everything I type, then the enjoyment is gone.

"Cop bashing"? I know there are very good cops out there, and some bad ones. I really appreciate Vex and Thug Hunter's input to these forums. I guess the thread I started about the out of control Hamilton County deputy, and the sheriff keeping him on duty, could be considered cop bashing. I saw it as a warning as to what the sheriff allows in his deputies. Sounds like that's not welcome here. As I said, now the fear sets in.

To the OFCC management: I'm sorry that conditions have become such that you have been forced to step in with these changes.

Ken
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I think this only makes the forums a drier place and we will see if not allowing political talk other that firearms will have a deleterious effect on traffic. XDtalk did this very thing, in the end they reestablished a political forum because the forums basically went dead with out an outlet for political discussion. The new politics other than firearms only is accessible to members only and not to visitors. Still it is monitored and moderated heavily when tempers flair. Nothing changed in that respect.

I say this blanket ban is overreacting and you could have an area and clearly post that "the politics other than firearms forums are in no way sponsored by or endorsed by OFCC." This seems to me to be a reasonable alternative to no politics unless gun related.

I get on here to have a well rounded discussion of everything. Not just to talk about guns. I can understand following guidelines as to which forum and thread to post in as it gives anyone not into that type of discussion the opportunity to bypass them by reading the title of the thread. Seems simple to me.
Last edited by pleasantguywhopacks on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

Jamie9mm:
I'm not sure what you mean here. I have always had to "Log-in" to the site then I could go to the Open Carry section.

MODs:
I'm not sure how you can have a discussion if this is a requirement...

"This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events. "

Could you please clarify this a little better.
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

Lthrnck wrote:Jamie9mm:
I'm not sure what you mean here. I have always had to "Log-in" to the site then I could go to the Open Carry section.

MODs:
I'm not sure how you can have a discussion if this is a requirement...

"This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events. "

Could you please clarify this a little better.
Prior to last night a person could come to Ohioccwforums.org and visit any section other than the for sale. You had to log in to post but not to view topics. A person who had previously never been here and accidentally stumbled upon the sight could view the OC topic by just clicking them. Now if you are not a registered user who has logged in the OC sub forum does not appear.
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
jdmsds

Post by jdmsds »

I personally have been visiting less and less because of the broad range of topics. I joined OFCC for a place to talk about and learn about firearms and the laws pertaining to them here in Ohio. I welcome these new rules and will likely visit more often if I don't have to wade through topics about Obama or how the youth of today is ruining this country blah blah blah.....

If you need to discuss politics outside the realm of Concealed Carry, there are other forums for that http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/poli ... on-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;