OhioCCW Forums Changes

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: OhioCCW Forums Changes

Post by carmen fovozzo »

jgarvas wrote:Trust me, we'll take into consideration any suggestions that are being offered to fix things or make them better.

I think everyone who is upset needs to realize that we're attempting to operate an organization where our image plays a big role in our success.

The changes are not proposed "just because" of a potential lawsuit. That is one example of how an individual not associated with the Michigan group who chose to show up at an event carrying a long gun resulted in a judge ruling against them for an otherwise handgun only open carry walk. It's an example of how a third party can harm us.

Some of you are implying that membership will be "hurt" by redefining the image and scope of these forums because you are presuming that what we're attempting to curtail is the preference of the majority. The stark reality is that a number of people tell us they won't become engaged in the forums community because of the things that are taking place here and the direction these forums have gone in.

Our focus is on being a welcoming community to new shooters and new recruits in an effort to grow the organization. We realize some people may not like the changes but we believe they are in the best interests of the organization.

Finally, to those of you who said you'll get involved if we get sued, why would it take that to get you involved in doing something productive for the cause? These decisions and this organization operate because of a dedicated team of people who come from various backgrounds to work together for the goals and causes of the organization.

Cruiser: You can absolutely talk about your computer problems. Go to the Kirchner Korner. Nothing has changed there.
-----------------------
....So I see that the people you talk to say they will not get envolved in OFCC because of the way it is going. They are more important then payed members ? They influence your actions more then the members that are now envolved in OFCC...I'm trying to uderstand your thinking, but I can't.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

carmen fovozzo wrote: ....So I see that the people you talk to say they will not get envolved in OFCC because of the way it is going. They are more important then payed members ? They influence your actions more then the members that are now envolved in OFCC...I'm trying to uderstand your thinking, but I can't.
Carmen: You're coming to a conclusion on your own. We're adjusting the behavior and makeup of the forums because we do not like the direction that they've taken. We are redesigning the organization public image. I can assure you, the vocal minority that is reacting to our changes is not a representative sample of the membership as a whole. For each person here complaining that they don't like what we're doing I've easily received thunderous applause for the move privately.

The difference is, if you want to object you do it publicly. If you appreciate the move you're more akin to do it privately.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
daddy

Post by daddy »

jgarvas wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote: ....So I see that the people you talk to say they will not get envolved in OFCC because of the way it is going. They are more important then payed members ? They influence your actions more then the members that are now envolved in OFCC...I'm trying to uderstand your thinking, but I can't.
Carmen: You're coming to a conclusion on your own. We're adjusting the behavior and makeup of the forums because we do not like the direction that they've taken. We are redesigning the organization public image. I can assure you, the vocal minority that is reacting to our changes is not a representative sample of the membership as a whole. For each person here complaining that they don't like what we're doing I've easily received thunderous applause for the move privately.

The difference is, if you want to object you do it publicly. If you appreciate the move you're more akin to do it privately.

Well Jeff, I can tell you that I have recieved a few PMs myself from people who do not agree with the changes.....
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Daddy - The Butcher
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

...Maybe if we new as members that the MAJORITY were onboard with the new rules we could decide to go along with them in a more positive way.
...I know of only one way to find that out.... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

carmen fovozzo wrote: -----------------------
....So I see that the people you talk to say they will not get envolved in OFCC because of the way it is going. They are more important then payed members ? They influence your actions more then the members that are now envolved in OFCC...I'm trying to uderstand your thinking, but I can't.
Can't hold my tounge even though I said I was through commenting..

What I find amusing is when I brought up the comments at the gun show on prickly reception that new potential members/CHLs or general gun folk get here posting what can be tediously repetitive questions, I was poohoo'd and as much called exaggerating by one coordinator. Yet we suddenly have a problem with people staying away because we talk politics and talk about abusive encounters with LE and alike? I'm puzzled by that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
P-chan

Post by P-chan »

jgarvas wrote:
AlanM wrote: What annual volunteer meeting???
Who, When, and Where did this occur?
Alan: Every year the organization holds an annual meeting where the coordinators meet face to face for the better part of an entire day. It was held in January, which is when we usually hold the event. In addition to the existing coordinators who are already "on board" with the organization, individuals who are nominated as potential future additions are invited to attend the meeting as well.

It is not a public event. It is a private annual strategy meeting of the organization.

I think you know exactly what is being asked and are dancing around the answer.

Who nominates these individuals as potential future additions? How are the nominations decided (on what merit)? What's the point of being a contributing member of a "grass roots" organization if you don't get a say in what happens with the organization?

I for one, agree with your changes, but however off-topic the organizational questions may be, they're still relevant and haven't been addressed that I've seen.
awalker19

Post by awalker19 »

An organization is only as good as the image it puts out. Right or wrong a lot of things are based off image. From my what i see, this is a way to improve the image OFCC is putting out to the general public. A lot more people then just the normal posters read this forum.
"He who does not prevent a crime, when he can, encourages it"

"quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

P-chan wrote: I think you know exactly what is being asked and are dancing around the answer.
I'm not dancing around anything. I'm at work and busy.
Who nominates these individuals as potential future additions? How are the nominations decided (on what merit)? What's the point of being a contributing member of a "grass roots" organization if you don't get a say in what happens with the organization?
Coordinators of the organization are appointed by the Board of Directors. The Coordinators who meet people in person and work with them suggest them based on their professionalism, their skill, their ability to interact with the public, and their level headed nature among other things. If a person shows up representing OFCC at a public event and they do not present a professional "clean" image, or if they don't have the requisite skills to communicate with the public and come off sounding knowledgeable then we're not going to say "lets make this person a representative of the organization" and then maybe send them off to represent us on Fox News

If a coordinator says "I believe that P-Chan could really help us with restocking the shelves" we sit down and look at it and decide if it makes sense, and we bring that person into the fold. If a person is better suited to work a small task from home (Like Alan did with fulfillment) we put them in that roll, or they help at the picnic, or they staff gun shows.

People who "shine" as decision makers climb the rank of authority within the organization much like they would in a regular full time job - based on results.
I for one, agree with your changes, but however off-topic the organizational questions may be, they're still relevant and haven't been addressed that I've seen.
If I've neglected to answer something ask it. I'm not hiding anything, but I am going to lunch :)
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Jeff,
You know there are a lot of people who stand behind you and the efforts that you put into the organization. If there was a high-five emoticon i'd throw it up.

I think one of the big problems is people always fear change.

On that note... I just became a patron member today! :)
Youngstown Ohio.... Gotta live somewhere.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Well it's good to know that there are new supporters to replace those of us who are leaving. Jeff says there is overwhelming support for the changes, I guess it is obvious that those of us who feel otherwise do not really fit in here.
Mindbender14

Post by Mindbender14 »

OhioPaints wrote:Well it's good to know that there are new supporters to replace those of us who are leaving. Jeff says there is overwhelming support for the changes, I guess it is obvious that those of us who feel otherwise do not really fit in here.
Leaving? Really? I don't think the changes are that onerous.

For those who are huge OC proponents and political junkies the changes are certainly a little annoying and off putting (being brutally honest). I don't think the fundamental nature of the organization has changed though.
steel

Post by steel »

Folks....cant we all just take a calming breath...i just upgraded to patron.....i give my full support to ofcc because of the job they are doing
and hopefully will continue to do.

I am trying to understand the feeling's of the members who are upset....i for one dont want to see anybody leave over the new rule changes
but i do and i will stand behind the powers to be....I think Jeff and the rest of the mod's and cord's are doing an outstanding job....just ones mans views.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I am starting to understand Jeff's point of view, and support him. I doubt that there any members here as qualified and driven as Jeff.

Besides the OC Forum I'd like to see Kirchner's Korner also locked to members only.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
P-chan

Post by P-chan »

jgarvas wrote:
P-chan wrote: I think you know exactly what is being asked and are dancing around the answer.
I'm not dancing around anything. I'm at work and busy.
Coordinators of the organization are appointed by the Board of Directors. The Coordinators who meet people in person and work with them suggest them based on their professionalism, their skill, their ability to interact with the public, and their level headed nature among other things. If a person shows up representing OFCC at a public event and they do not present a professional "clean" image, or if they don't have the requisite skills to communicate with the public and come off sounding knowledgeable then we're not going to say "lets make this person a representative of the organization" and then maybe send them off to represent us on Fox News

If a coordinator says "I believe that P-Chan could really help us with restocking the shelves" we sit down and look at it and decide if it makes sense, and we bring that person into the fold. If a person is better suited to work a small task from home (Like Alan did with fulfillment) we put them in that roll, or they help at the picnic, or they staff gun shows.

People who "shine" as decision makers climb the rank of authority within the organization much like they would in a regular full time job - based on results.
If I've neglected to answer something ask it. I'm not hiding anything, but I am going to lunch :)

So the Coordinators are appointed by the board, which is fine, but do members elect the board? How is the board chosen?

Again, don't get me wrong, I think the changes are going to ultimately be beneficial to OFCC as a whole, I'm just curious about the structure.
DOA33
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DOA33 »

I hope no one really does leave over this, I have enjoyed being on here reading everything that people have posted. I have invested three years on here checking the boards daily learning and giving my two cents on subjects. I have posted my OC experience and the out comes. I just joined the ranks of paid membership, why would I join feeling uneasy about the changes taking place because I believe in this grass-root organization for what it stands for and I want to know that what I paid will help further the cause of 2A freedom. With that being said I don't agree with the hammer being dropped on OC M&G and few other changes. :cry: Like I said I hope nobody leaves over this and just takes a few days to see how this plays out.
Open Carry, shhh it's a dirty secret.