OhioCCW Forums Changes

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mindbender14

Re: OhioCCW Forums Changes

Post by Mindbender14 »

I can see why the rules were changed....but I also want to know what others have asked. Is all non-firearm political discussion barred from Kirchner's corner as well? I will really miss it!

I also agree with pleasantguywhopacks that this may decrease traffic (at least mine). I enjoy the political discourse (SB5, Egypt etc. etc.). When thehighroad got rid of their political forum my visits there decreased and now they are waaaaaaay overmoderated. I spend alot less time there. I think "gun-folk" are naturally more likely to be political junkies because of our shared hobby and our constant need to defend it. Please tell me that this won't be stifled. :?:
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: WHY?

Post by jgarvas »

Yes. We've done absolutely nothing with dues raised to defend anyone like Dan Sayers who was arrested for openly carrying two handguns or to sue the City of Campbell, Ohio for banning the sale of firearms. You're missing the point - we decide what fights the organization should get involved in based on the facts surrounding each individual case.

In this case, our concern is that the forums are being used to involve the organization in open carry events without our ability to investigate the facts and/or the methods of protest which will be engaged. That is unacceptable risk.

If you're upset about the changes to the political area of the website, where the discussion has nothing to do with your dues at all, there are ample places on the internet to discuss those issues. From an organizational standpoint they were making us look bad and we have a fiduciary duty to the rest of the dues paying members to do everything we can to protect the organizations reputation and image.

If you don't like that (and its clearly obvious how you feel) then I would encourage you to re-evaluate if you want to be contributing to OFCC or if you want to part ways with the forums before we're forced to make the decision for you.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Actually, PRIOR to these changes we were "out of touch." We were being pulled into being something we have never been...a primarily political organization. Our focus is, was, and will be firearms rights...period. As an organization, we cannot be distracted by other things...no matter how interested some members are.
Sorry but I do not think firearms politics are the be all and end all of politics. When I see people concentrating 100% only on how a politician voted on a gun issue and the people ignore everything else, then I see them as "gun extremists". I will not vote ONLY on a politicians firearms attitude. I want the whole picture. If all I get is an isolated island, then that island is useless to me. If a politician allegedly supports the Second Amendment but ignores the 1st and 4th amendments, then something is seriously wrong about him. I want broad political information, not a narrow view.

I agree with PGWP's comments.

Ken
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

superpsy wrote:I can see why the rules were changed....but I also want to know what others have asked. Is all non-firearm political discussion barred from Kirchner's corner as well? I will really miss it!

I also agree with pleasantguywhopacks that this may decrease traffic (at least mine). I enjoy the political discourse (SB5, Egypt etc. etc.). When thehighroad got rid of their political forum my visits there decreased and now they are waaaaaaay overmoderated. I spend alot less time there. I think "gun-folk" are naturally more likely to be political junkies because of our shared hobby and our constant need to defend it. Please tell me that this won't be stifled. :?:
I guess we should all just be single issue voters and single minded people. Guns, guns, give me guns he is a pro gun candidate more so then others who cares if he lied and has BS views on education.
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
daddy

Re: WHY?

Post by daddy »

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... 76#p502576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jgarvas wrote:
BobK wrote:The Columbus Dispatch is biased, slanted, and ignorant.
BobK: Well done. You made my phone ring ;-)
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Daddy - The Butcher
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I think we all need to take a step back and see how the changes are going to play out. Emotions are running high right now and that might not be a good thing for the organization or its members. Just one mans opinion.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
daddy

Post by daddy »

jdmsds wrote:I personally have been visiting less and less because of the broad range of topics. I joined OFCC for a place to talk about and learn about firearms and the laws pertaining to them here in Ohio. I welcome these new rules and will likely visit more often if I don't have to wade through topics about Obama or how the youth of today is ruining this country blah blah blah.....

If you need to discuss politics outside the realm of Concealed Carry, there are other forums for that http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/poli ... on-debate/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh great you want us to debate politics on a sports forum. Awsome!
Daddy - The Butcher
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I think some are missing the point.

We re not saying that the membership should be "one issue voters.". Certainly not...I am not.

However, as an organization, we cannot be everything to everybody. We have a mission to improve firearms rights and the forums are an extension of how we work toward that goal. Neither the aforementioned XDTalk nor the highroad had such a mission. They are essentially a social gathering place. Neither has an organization that creates and introduces legislation. Neither will come and sue cities like Clyde or Campbell.

Bill, as far as you're concerned, you've made your point several times. The fact that we chose this course of action does not mean that we didn't listen. We knew this would create some flak and discussed this at length. The belief was and is that this will make us a stronger, more focused organization in the end.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

Hi
I don't post much but have supported OFCC several times, sanctioned open carry walks, state house visits, gun shows and visit the site 3 or 4 times a day. If it isn't interesting then I won't come as often... Guns rights are a big issue for me but not the biggest, it is tangled in with other personal freedoms.
You do great work on gun issues, I hope this works for you.

Steve
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
jamie9mm

Post by jamie9mm »

charben wrote:I think some are missing the point.
Is that what makes threads disappear?
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
daddy

Post by daddy »

jamie9mm wrote:
charben wrote:I think some are missing the point.
Is that what makes threads disappear?
It looks like they were merged. Now it's just pure confusion.
Daddy - The Butcher
Mindbender14

Post by Mindbender14 »

I don't think the sky is falling. I agree that maybe some need to take a step back and take a deep breath.
daddy

Post by daddy »

superpsy wrote:I don't think the sky is falling. I agree that maybe some need to take a step back and take a deep breath.
Ofcourse the sky isn't falling, but many of us are paid members and are not happy with the changes made half way through our membership.

Would you go back to a resturant where you ordered a steak and the management change your order to a pork chop with no in put from yourself? Would you pay for your meal anyways? Ofcourse you wouldn't, you would be outraged, demand a refund and go elsewhere.

I personally get the feeling that is exactly what OFCC is telling the OC and political crowd - go elsewhere.
Daddy - The Butcher
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

Hey - that went over pretty well. :wink:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I check out the Appleseed forum every week or so. They aren't a very busy forum because they are Appleseed-specific, and are careful to stay on topic. I've seen posts that seem to be related to the mission, but then someone gently reminds them it is only loosely connected, and "let's all stay on topic."

My sewing forum doesn't allow religious or political discussions, and all are reminded if we stray away from the primary focus to get back on track. We discuss movies like "Pride and Prejudice" too. We get reined in if we get carried away about that, too. It's the rules, and I don't mind. I saw what went on without the rules, and a group of women (and teen girls!) can get pretty catty.

I don't have any problem at all with a forum having a specific mission. It may decrease post counts, and we may not feel it so tempting to visit multiple times a day. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I will miss the political discussion, because I knew here who is level headed and who is not. I appreciate the opinions of those who have cooler heads, and reassured me that the sky isn't falling. I even was starting to appreciate Kowboy.

But it might be easier to get quilts done if I am not attached to my computer reading politics. :)

Change is scary, but we'll all get used to it, if we don't get all in an uproar.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!