OhioCCW Forums Changes

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: OhioCCW Forums Changes

Post by OldManTod »

But the membership that is paid is different and independent (except for the badge under your name) than the forums? I don't get the analogy?
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
daddy

Post by daddy »

OldManTod wrote:I don't get the analogy?
Ofcourse you don't OMT, I don't expect the other coordinators will either.....
If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words.
Daddy - The Butcher
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Of course - I apologize.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I'm not a huge OC'er as it were. Actually, I'm pretty apathetic on the topic. I like that I can OC in Ohio principally because it makes it easier to CC (don't have to worry about printing and such.)

Having said that...am I to understand that OFCC is fundamentally altering (at least, in the view of some) the way these forums operate because of the peripheral threat of a possible lawsuit and the need to defend against frivolous claims? Really?

I guess I don't get that.

I may not be overly involved with the background of this organization or these forums, but if the threat of this kind of lawsuit, and the belief that a defense might have to be mounted, is why things around here must change (regardless of whether that change is good, bad or indifferent) I say that decision is misguided at best.

And to put my money where my mouth is - if OFCC ever gets sued because of a discussion that was facilitated here, I'll pledge now that I will volunteer my time and services to assist in whatever defense needs to be mounted for the organization.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

sodbuster95 wrote:I'm not a huge OC'er as it were. Actually, I'm pretty apathetic on the topic. I like that I can OC in Ohio principally because it makes it easier to CC (don't have to worry about printing and such.)

Having said that...am I to understand that OFCC is fundamentally altering (at least, in the view of some) the way these forums operate because of the peripheral threat of a possible lawsuit and the need to defend against frivolous claims? Really?

I guess I don't get that.

I may not be overly involved with the background of this organization or these forums, but if the threat of this kind of lawsuit, and the belief that a defense might have to be mounted, is why things around here must change (regardless of whether that change is good, bad or indifferent) I say that decision is misguided at best.

And to put my money where my mouth is - if OFCC ever gets sued because of a discussion that was facilitated here, I'll pledge now that I will volunteer my time and services to assist in whatever defense needs to be mounted for the organization.

I speak my mind and occasionally take the heat for it. I have broad shoulders and can take, so here it goes...

The threat of a lawsuit is a false flag IMO. This is just a way of trying to be mainstreamed. I hate that word.

Mainstreamed in much the same way the NRA projects itself and its members. Trying desperately to alter opposition by backing away from controversial ways of exercising a right. Only using them when it suits it's needs.

Of course I'm just one voice in here, a radical liberty advocate..

This concludes my comment on this bright shining new milk toast forum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

..I don't get how OFCC can get sued for something a member does or says ? Aren't there disclaimers that can be made and written in stone..?
Why and how can OFCC be blamed for everything that is said by a member ? Maybe we should be checking with other lawyers and their opinions.

...I have learned a great deal on this Forum, "Except maybe my spelling ", having only gun related threads will IMO make this Forum boring and help to lose members..
...We certainly need TOS but I just can't help but think this ORG. might be heading in the wrong direction, my hope is it is not.

As paid members and contributors of this Forum that help it stay alive IMO I think we are being treated unfairly with out as much as any one input as to what we consider to be important to why we contribute here in the first place.

...I think we should be asking ourselves how much we value membership, and some of the people here that post some of the most enteresting and informative issues....

...I'm getting old, but my opinion is that membership is more important, that is people, then anything that can or can't be done on this Forum...With out membership there is no OFCC as we see it now. Rant over....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

I consider the members on these Forums as my friends. In part it is the social interaction that I enjoy. Being able to ask a off topic question and getting an answer. I currently have a computer problem I wanted to discuss, Can't do that now.
I think a lot of the non-gun topics and discussions help show others that we are normal everyday folks. Not just a group that only interested in guns.
This has been my Home since 2004, what is happening scares me.
I to will wait and see what happens.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Trust me, we'll take into consideration any suggestions that are being offered to fix things or make them better.

I think everyone who is upset needs to realize that we're attempting to operate an organization where our image plays a big role in our success.

The changes are not proposed "just because" of a potential lawsuit. That is one example of how an individual not associated with the Michigan group who chose to show up at an event carrying a long gun resulted in a judge ruling against them for an otherwise handgun only open carry walk. It's an example of how a third party can harm us.

Some of you are implying that membership will be "hurt" by redefining the image and scope of these forums because you are presuming that what we're attempting to curtail is the preference of the majority. The stark reality is that a number of people tell us they won't become engaged in the forums community because of the things that are taking place here and the direction these forums have gone in.

Our focus is on being a welcoming community to new shooters and new recruits in an effort to grow the organization. We realize some people may not like the changes but we believe they are in the best interests of the organization.

Finally, to those of you who said you'll get involved if we get sued, why would it take that to get you involved in doing something productive for the cause? These decisions and this organization operate because of a dedicated team of people who come from various backgrounds to work together for the goals and causes of the organization.

Cruiser: You can absolutely talk about your computer problems. Go to the Kirchner Korner. Nothing has changed there.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

jgarvas wrote:Trust me, we'll take into consideration any suggestions that are being offered to fix things or make them better.
Let's just make this change for now, (get it passed) and we can fix it later!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

jgarvas wrote:Trust me, we'll take into consideration any suggestions that are being offered to fix things or make them better.
Would you like that here in this thread, elsewhere in a different thread, or via PM?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

We discussed the vacancy on the Board at our annual volunteer meeting and we've been focusing on the debate and Statehouse legislative issues. There will be news with respect to changes on the Board of Directors soon.
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Sevens wrote:
Would you like that here in this thread, elsewhere in a different thread, or via PM?
The best way to contact me is via email if you know it, or see the info in my signature. Once I respond to you, you'll know my email address. Sometimes I am unable to read PMs due to an inability to get to the forums, so I always advise people to email me.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

jgarvas wrote:Finally, to those of you who said you'll get involved if we get sued, why would it take that to get you involved in doing something productive for the cause? These decisions and this organization operate because of a dedicated team of people who come from various backgrounds to work together for the goals and causes of the organization.
You presuppose, incorrectly, that there is no involvement already. Mine, at least, is a specific offer as it relates to a specific circumstance as a result of my specific background.

I do not attend OC rallies. Neither do I assist at gun shows. In fact, in the last 2ish years I've been on these forums, I haven't gotten involved in much that OFCC has "officially" done. I have my reasons, but, aside from my absolute lack of time, I'm not much of a "rally" kind of guy.

On the other hand, I have brought at least 5 people I know in to these boards as members. At least one is a paid member. I have personally convinced no less than 6 people to get their CHL's (although, to be fair, one was a Michigan permit) that have told me they might otherwise not have done so. I am currently working with 3 others. I have personally convinced at least a dozen people to join the NRA.

So, while I may not be "involved" by showing up to rallies and gun shows, I would strongly dispute that I am not "involved" in the "cause" of furthering firearms ownership, firearms rights, firearms knowledge and firearms education. And, frankly, aside from requests to work tables at a gun show (which I'm not denigrating in any way, shape or form), I've never really seen much interest from the "powers-that-be" for other help. Maybe I'm dead wrong; but that's my perception.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

jgarvas wrote:We discussed the vacancy on the Board at our annual volunteer meeting and we've been focusing on the debate and Statehouse legislative issues. There will be news with respect to changes on the Board of Directors soon.

What annual volunteer meeting???
Who, When, and Where did this occur?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

AlanM wrote: What annual volunteer meeting???
Who, When, and Where did this occur?
Alan: Every year the organization holds an annual meeting where the coordinators meet face to face for the better part of an entire day. It was held in January, which is when we usually hold the event. In addition to the existing coordinators who are already "on board" with the organization, individuals who are nominated as potential future additions are invited to attend the meeting as well.

It is not a public event. It is a private annual strategy meeting of the organization.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?