Carrying a concealed handgun is a privilege in Ohio

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Linda

Post by Linda »

Is having a drivers license a right or a privilege? :? Same thing as far as I'm concerned! You better bet my kids will know that it is a privilege to drive. And no, I'm not off topic! Think about it!

I think it boils down to ones own opinion! There is no right or wrong answer here.

Oh, I can't let this one go either....,
Obviously Chief, you've never had a violent crime touch your family. I have, multiple times. So, the ex-brother in law to my aunt, whom gunned down his wife in front of their children should be allowed to own a gun? Yeah, he paid his time, all of about 7 or 8 years. Was that justice? I think not. So, the bastard who raped my Mom, should be allowed to own a gun? Let's not forget that he raped his own brother when he was a teen. We won't need to worry about him, he died a long painful death from lung cancer in prison, but let's face it, if he hadn't, he would have got out one day. Yeah, I wanted him to own a gun too....,NOT! How 'bout the guy who murdered my cousin's brother in law and his girlfriend in cold blood. I'm sorry, but not every felon should be espounged the day they step out of prison. If you ever had violence hit your family, you better betcha you'd look at it differently. Before Mom was raped, I wasn't sure I could ever shoot someone if I had to. Ask me that guestion today! Without a doubt, my life is worth more than the bad guys!
You got me started on that one! :evil:
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Linda wrote:Is having a drivers license a right or a privilege?
The only reason there are DLs is because the state saw one more way to get money through regulation. Having said that, I'm not in favor of doing away with DLs. In fact, I would make them harder to get and raise the minimum age to at least 18. Why? Because teenage drivers kill themselves and others more than any other age group. And, whether someone is qualified behind the wheel has a direct, daily impact on my life and safety.
Same thing as far as I'm concerned! You better bet my kids will know that it is a privilege to drive. And no, I'm not off topic! Think about it!
No, it isn't the same thing. DLs are a public safety issue, arms are a personal safety issue.
Oh, I can't let this one go either....,
Obviously Chief, you've never had a violent crime touch your family.
Linda - You do not know me. You do not know my past. I will say no more on that.
I have, multiple times. So, the ex-brother in law to my aunt, whom gunned down his wife in front of their children should be allowed to own a gun? Yeah, he paid his time, all of about 7 or 8 years. Was that justice? I think not.
I don't think so either. In a just society he would have paid with his life. We do not live in a just society.
So, the bastard who raped my Mom, should be allowed to own a gun? Let's not forget that he raped his own brother when he was a teen. We won't need to worry about him, he died a long painful death from lung cancer in prison, but let's face it, if he hadn't, he would have got out one day. Yeah, I wanted him to own a gun too....,NOT!
Again, if we lived in a just society perhaps he wouldn't have even been on the streets to commit another rape. We don't. And, at the risk of sounding insensitive, why didn't you Mom have a gun to defend herself with? Because the nanny state, in its wisdom, convinced her over the years that the police would be there to protect her - help was just 9-1-1 away and besides, a gun would probably just be taken away from her and used against her?
How 'bout the guy who murdered my cousin's brother in law and his girlfriend in cold blood.
Again, release would not even be an issue for this goblin in a just society.
I'm sorry, but not every felon should be espounged the day they step out of prison.
And I say again, then why in he** are we letting them out?
If you ever had violence hit your family, you better betcha you'd look at it differently.
See above.
Before Mom was raped, I wasn't sure I could ever shoot someone if I had to. Ask me that guestion today! Without a doubt, my life is worth more than the bad guys!
GOOD!!! Don't ever forget it.
You got me started on that one! :evil:
You must also keep in mind, that my opinions are not going to change anything. Nor or my opinions likely to change. We will continue to run a revolving door "justice" system that allows goblins such as those that have wreaked such havoc on your family back on the street. That being the case, CCW becomes more important every day. We must view it as the right it's supposed to be, not the privilege the state would have us believe. With rights come responsibilities. Be safe, be ready, be armed. There are dangerous people out there who mean us harm, in many cases for no discernable reason. That's not paranoia - that's reality.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Chief, now that you made me feel all warm & fuzzy in the CCCP post, how can I come back on this one! :lol:

I absolutely agree with you about felons. Most of them are getting off with a slap on the hands. Until the judges or more importantly the parole bds., get their heads out of their a$$e$, there will be more crime. Why is it, that when a prisoner on death row has confessed or there is 110% proof of his guilt, (providing it's a state with the death penalty,) it still takes them 18 years to get around to offing them? Every meal they eat in prison is more of mine and yours tax dollars at waste! Swift, quick justice is what we need!

I do disagree with the Ohio CCW law in regard to drug convictions. Should a now 50 year old person who got busted at the age of 18 for selling small amounts of marijuana to his buddies be penalized the rest of his life for a stupid thing he did in his youthful years? Did he learn from his mistakes? If he did and straightened out his life (a long time ago), give this guy a CHL!
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
eddandy

Post by eddandy »

HB12 with its 140 or so pages never used the word "privilege". It did however use the word "right" a number of times. The pamphlet and cover letter Petro put out never uses the word "right" but uses "privilege" five times. As far as asking him how he feels about the subject I say "try it". Whenever Petro speaks, including our picnic, he never entertains questions even at a local Republican dinner before the last elections I attended. I believe that as a Governor, Petro would consider himself a part of Columbus's Governmental Elite, passing out "privileges" to the subjects that elected him.
Allowing me to park in his reserved parking place might be a privilege he can bestow on me but the right to carry, open or otherwise (as a non-fellon), is my right within the limits of the law. But it is not a privilege. That's why, unless he really blows something, Blackwell is the man I plan to work for come election time.
Ed
Proud member of: NRA, GOA, OFCC
Glock and dagger

Post by Glock and dagger »

Bottom line... if it isn't something you have as an entitlement, it isn't a right.

If you have to jump through hoops and pay for it, and renew it, and prove you are capable, it is a privilege.
I'm Glock and Dagger and I approved this message.

"If it deprives just one citizen of their God-given rights, it's not worth it."
-evan price

FOOTOS... the Fresh Fighter
ballistic

Carrying a concealed handgun is a privilege in Ohio

Post by ballistic »

In case anyone has failed to notice, HB 12 as amended and passed into law does not, strictly speaking, legalize the carrying of a concealed handgun. It established the possession of a CCW license merely as an affirmative defense against the general prohibition which was retained from the prior law. An unlicensed person carrying a concealed handgun is still in violation of the law. A licensed person carrying a concealed handgun is technically likewise in violation of the law, but the license provides an affirmative defense against being immediately arrested for violating the general prohibition. Only persons legally licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Ohio can employ this affirmative defense, and it is in this sense that carrying a CCW license is a privilege. If the Ohio legislature had enacted a law similar to Sen. Young's proposal of at least ten years ago, which gutted the ORC of any probition of carrying a concealed weapon (essentially "Vermont" or "Alaska" style carry), then we would literally have true legalized concealed carry in Ohio. But currently it is totally erroneous to speak of "legalized" concealed carry in Ohio in the manner in which most people have become accustomed.