Behavior & Moderator Complaints

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rDigital

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Post by rDigital »

I welcome our moderator overloards. :lol:

You guys do a good job. So... THANKS! :D
MrMagoo
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by MrMagoo »

mropencarry wrote:Since the door is open....
Before we all sing Kumbaya, I'd just like to point out the unfounded rudeness that's being displayed towards prospective members. If they post something that warrants a kick in the shorts that's fair game. But if a sincere question or statement is made and they get snubbed or railroaded (I'll leave out the whos and whats) what incentive do they have to join?.
Leone wrote:.....I have pm'd people when I saw something that shouldn't be here and was thanked for letting them know about it.
Have you tried Leone's approach to the "whos and whats" you refer to?
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

Wow :shock: The big guy don't come out from behind the curtain very often anymore :P

There's a good reason many of us have been posting here for several years.

Thanks go out to the mods, passions are sometimes hard to restrain :lol:
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leone

Post by Leone »

I just noticed that we have 5256 members and only 4725 views on the "Forum Terms of Service, Rules, and Regulations" I think that if the 531 people that have not read that post would read it the mods would not need to work as hard. :)
AndMetal

Post by AndMetal »

I think it is an excellent idea to send out that PM to all new members. It would have been great to have when I first signed up not too long ago, and actually informed me of the Email alerts, which I did sign up for.

It almost seems long winded, but I think it needs to be to keep this place civil. That being said, I agree this is one of the better moderated forums out there (both via moderators and self-moderation).
Ruger P95 9mm
More to come, I'm sure.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Leone wrote: we have 5256 members and only 4725 views . . . the 531 people that have not read ...
You cannot make that conclusion. There are people who have viewed the TOS multiple times. Speaking only for myself, I have pulled them up at least 30 times as I have snipped pieces of text to insert into messages (mostly PM).
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Leone

Post by Leone »

BobK wrote:
Leone wrote: we have 5256 members and only 4725 views . . . the 531 people that have not read ...
You cannot make that conclusion. There are people who have viewed the TOS multiple times. Speaking only for myself, I have pulled them up at least 30 times as I have snipped pieces of text to insert into messages (mostly PM).
I was wondering about multiple viewings by the same person, but my point is that at LEAST 531 people have not read the TOS. It is probably a much higher number that have not read it. Everyone here should read it .... several times.
mropencarry

Post by mropencarry »

MrMagoo wrote:
mropencarry wrote:Since the door is open....
Before we all sing Kumbaya, I'd just like to point out the unfounded rudeness that's being displayed towards prospective members. If they post something that warrants a kick in the shorts that's fair game. But if a sincere question or statement is made and they get snubbed or railroaded (I'll leave out the whos and whats) what incentive do they have to join?.
Leone wrote:.....I have pm'd people when I saw something that shouldn't be here and was thanked for letting them know about it.
Have you tried Leone's approach to the "whos and whats" you refer to?
I'll just say that there was an exchange of pm's.
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

BobK wrote:That is one reason I spend so much time reporting posts
Ah, so you are the one eh? :roll: :lol:
BobK

Post by BobK »

Maybe this is as good a place to mention how disappointed I became in the whole Walmart-Brimley thread.

I followed the thread closely at first, reading the first 8 pages or so. Shortly after the police chief posted, it seemed to spiral completely out of control. I quit reading it and only watched as the number of responses quickly climbed into the stratosphere. I never did read the last 200 responses or so, but I've spoken with people who have.

A couple of thoughts came to mind. First, here was a police chief who started as relatively pro-2A, and happens to be influential within our state. Guess that bridge has been irreparably burned.

Second, it seemed like quite a few people were happily carrying the pitchforks and torches, creating the impression that this OFCC is a snakepit, and in many cases aren't even members. People sounding off on our forums end up creating they impression that they speak for OFCC whether the do so in fact or not.

Third, if we are to continue to improve the legislative climate within our state we need to be politically effective. That requires building coalitions. That requires compromise. That requires maturity.

Here is an example where I would have gladly welcomed more forceful moderation before the ship was sunk. I'd even welcome retroactive moderation to delete the most doofus material so that we don't preserve this idiocy for eternity and keep it on display for all to read.

Meanwhile, are there any actions that can be taken at an official OFCC level to repair some of this damage?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

BobK wrote:Here is an example where I would have gladly welcomed more forceful moderation before the ship was sunk. I'd even welcome retroactive moderation to delete the most doofus material so that we don't preserve this idiocy for eternity and keep it on display for all to read.
Bob, there's no real way to discuss this without essentially reopening that same thread, so I'll just put it this way: I don't and didn't come to the same conclusion based on that thread. In fact, I found the chief's supporters to be more over-the-top in terms of their reactions than those who considered his replies to be less than Messianic in character.

Probably because I was firmly in the latter camp...
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

BobK wrote:Here is an example where I would have gladly welcomed more forceful moderation before the ship was sunk. I'd even welcome retroactive moderation to delete the most doofus material so that we don't preserve this idiocy for eternity and keep it on display for all to read.
I think that thread was a tough call. There was a lot of emotion involved, to be sure, but there are strong feelings on the topic, particularly given some of the statements made during the encounter.

If they would have closed it too early, people wouldn't have been happy as they would have lacked the forum to air grievances (and probably just started another thread). Conversely, you don't want to let it go too long and let it get out of hand.

I think they picked about the right spot, given how fast the thread grew.

Personally, I decided early on to stay out of that fray.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Please don't turn this thread into a discussion of the thread that's been locked.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Would it be possible to have a forum for only members? I know that the forums are open to the public for Q&A and promotion of Gun Rights, but a forum to discuss things that maybe the whole world don't need to see wouldn't be a bad thing (so long as we don't make it one)
It would probably not need to be moderated as much and shouldn't be used for any illegal activity and so on. But it would be good to be able to have heated discussions about certian thingd without everybody with a computer being able to see everything we say. I feel like we are at a disadvantage in certian situations because they are able to see all of our discussion about it.

When the whole forum is public and is part of OFCC anyone reading it assumes that everything said is the opinion of OFCC members when in reality not all of the posters are members.

When I say members only I mean Card carrying members not joe schmoe who signed up for a forum account.

And yes I am I just don't have the Site Supporter Tag (Yet)
Last edited by Squirrel on Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

To all the folks who don't have the site supporter that should, this is still a manual process, please make sure you follow the instructions to get that added after you complete your membership purchase.

Dan and Jeff are working on automating this.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean